GC is my new fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday, finally got around to changing my oil in my 1990 Volvo 240.

The GC is giving me instant idiot light off, great start up pressure, lovely pressure after warm up, little to no noise on start up (couple with an ADV filter), and a very smooth idle... those elves got me smiling.

The guys on my regular online car club are worried (because it's not the factory 10w30) but I've schooled them on the thin and thick myths.

A good week of driving should give me an idea of burn off but so far so very good.

Looking forward to pulling a sample in 3,000 miles for testing.

Plus, I was able to make friends with my local NAPA people and they scored me 3 cases (18 bottles) of the green.

getdown.gif

actually you didn't get green or gold. You got Castrol syntec. I mean this is stupid to repeat, but, the bottle must say "made in Germany" on the back and be 0/30. Very doubtful you got that from NAPA. In fact no way. It's only sourced to autozone in the US

it the green.

all the bottles say made in germany. eruo formula. 0w30.

I got the first case at Autozone. Took a bottle to the NAPA around the cornerfrom my house & they scored it from a warehouse/supplier.

But believe what you will.

NAPA is great about ordering oils that they don't carry in the store. They got me hard to find Valvoline Synpower 5W-40. They got it in the next day too. They have mad skills!
Congrats on scoring Green GC.

I miss our 1992 Volvo 240. My spouse had an accident. She is a Volvo fan; now on her third (2000 Volvo S70). Her first was a 1987 Volvo 760 (w/ turbo). I liked the 240 the best. Also, we had found an exclusive Volvo shop in Birmingham, AL--so maintenance was reasonable (I did all the oil changes). I remain amused at the interior toggle switches.

I wish one could edit posts. Sorry about my grammer (or should i say grammar?) & spelling.

Typing a little quick.

It took the counterhelp two days to locate the GC.

They told me that leaving the bottle from the case purchsed at Autozone (with the product/date code starting MO5...) and instructions regarding the label "euro formula" & made in Germany on the back helped locate what I wanted.

My NAPA, very close to Philadelphia, and like any good auto parts house, has access to numerous catalogs, warehouses, and suppliers.

They sourced me 3 cases & said they'll can more.

Plus, I don't like to shop at our local AutoZone... went there to pick up the one case @ $35.94... they did have plenty more. NAPA did me 3 cases @ $35.

I agree, mad skills... and they are two block from my house. Plus, I like their NAPA Gold 1515's... I use two on a remote mount.

Even if you build your own cars, I guess having a few posts on BITOG makes you an idiot.

I prefer to lurk rather than post on this particular site.

Such a shame.

IMAG0001-1.jpg

Well . . . if you're willing to travel a little further, there's a Castrol wholesale distributor in Montgomery County that carries the stuff by the caseload . . . for even less. Last price was $31. Buy $600 worth, and they'll drop deliver it to you for free.

Since we don't have a GC vendor sponsor, it seems OK to say that.

Nice to hear that Napa carries GC although YMMV. As mentioned, Napa can obtain hard-to-find products. I never had any luck though.

And no one thinks you're an idiot (at least I don't). It's just that, more often than not, people make mistakes with this type of thing. Congrats with your find and please continue to post.

Volvohead, is this the place you are taking about?

Google revealed:

PWD (Philadelphia Wholesale Dist.)
Sharon Krieg
1045 Pulanski Road
Warminster - 18974
USA
Telephone 215-674-4700 215-674-1069

newheadlghts.jpg

No, but they may have it, too. There's another place in Warminster that might have it as well. Scouring all the area AZs is not my idea of fun.

I've been going more and more straight to the distributors for some things. And that includes Mark here at BITOG for our Schaeffers.

Still, I like the idea of the corner NAPA for a couple dollars more. I likely burn that in gas going elsewhere.

Provided the PVC system is not malfunctioning, you can leave GC in that little red block for a loooooong time before it needs changing.

Quote:

There's another place in Warminster that might have it as well.

Are you thinking of Reit Lubricants? I remember purchasing several cases of M1 0W-40 back when that grade of M1 was new to the market and rarer than hen's teeth (and back when I lived in the Philly 'burbs). I'm not sure that they carry Castrol products though, but it's worth a phone call.
coffeetime.gif

If a distributor carries the brand on their line card, they can usually order anything not stocked. Calling ahead limits the trips. And I have more confidence dealing with a distributor over the phone than with the typical AZ employee.

Most distributors are smaller, family-owned concerns. So dealing with them also helps the local little guy. There are some good ones who sponsor right here at BITOG. I feel better giving my money to them than to the big national chains.

qud,

Welcome to the board and way to take of your ride. The outside looks super and the engine compartment is really clean. I like to see someone taking good care of an older machine.

j
banana.gif

Right on!

She's a daily driver. 2.3l/auto/power everything.

Built the motor myself (obviously didn't do the machine shop work). Got a performance cam, mild head work, little higher compression, trans & oil coolers, everythignn you see was power coated, made the strut to strut brace myself, and more...

Everything else (just name it) has been replaced, cleaned, tweaked, or upgraded as well... including the a/c, sensors, cooling system, blah, blah, blah.

Lowered, Bilsteins, IPD sways, all poly bushings, boxed front & rear arms, cross drilled rotors, ceramics, braided lines, new ball joints, tie rods, wheel bearings, etc...

Got custom adapters (25mm front/32mm rear) so I could run modern front wheel drive Volvo rims (on a rear wheel drive car)... she's got 40 lug nuts :)

All new lights... including ecodes (glass) from Europe.

Shaving the moldings & handles as we speak.

Flushed 18 quarts through the tranny today.

Just got a set of custom caliper brackets to install Mazda Rx7 TurboII calipers on the front w/ bigger rotors from a 940-960 Volvo... looking for the calipers right now... will grind off the Mazda logo for sure.

Redid the ENTURE interior myself... new old stock... but very clean. Gonna redo the headline (w/ zebra print fabric) when I do the front window.

Looking for a way to get rid of the antenna right now.

Not sure when I upgrade to a 1993 240 front window (has moldings "fused" to window, more seamless looking window in the final year of the 240s production) if I can find it with the antenna inside the window.

If not, maybe a real short, stubby version.

Gonna do all the body work & paint myself. Same color.

Here is what I do for a living: www.finishesfauxfantastic.com

My next car will be for the street: 2 door Volvo 240 w/ a super-charged 383 small block chevy & NOS.

Much love.

Thanks.

I will just tell you my story. We had a 3100 V6 Buick, used no oil in 50,000 miles. Put in GC and it used 1 quart in 3,000 miles and never used any more. So maybe you may want to run awhile before deciding on the consumption rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back