gc in cobra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been searching for posts by anyone using castrol 0w-30 in an 03-04 cobra engine. However it seems there is no one out there that has tried this combination. So if anyone out there owns a 03-04 cobra and used gc with success please let me know.

I'm concerned because the owners manual states the motor oil must have an api starbust (gc doesn't) and meet the ford WSS-M2C153-H (i think it's this one) spec which gc doesn't either.

I could not confirm this answer, but I think that the Ford WSS-M2C153-H specification is for 5W-30 oils. I did not find a copy of this spec in my search of the Ford website, but some other info I found implied that this spec is only for 5W-20, and of course, GC is a 0W-30 so it couldn't meet the spec.

In order to meet that Ford spec it has to be a 0/5W-20 weight oil. If you're concerned about warranty talk to your dealer. Maybe he'll "let" you use a synthetic 0/5W-30 oil. If not then use the Mobil 1 0W-20. It should give you some extra protection while maintaining your warranty. But in all actuality the Motorcraft 5W-20 oil seems to be a great performer with these modular engines. Just don't extend the OCI beyond 5,000 miles. And if you drive "enthusiastically" you might want to do 3,000 mile oil changes. Or you could add Lube Control (LC) to the Motorcraft oil to extend it's life and add extra protection. LC is a site sponsor so you can get info from there. And when the warranty is up you can use any oil you want to
grin.gif

Whimsey

I am an engineer for Ford Motor Co. and many guys here are using it as it quiets the engine down better than the 5w-20 and give more protection to the rod bearings since the engine has an SC on it. Everyone that is using it is pushing 456+ RWHP. They have reported no problems and will continue to use it. They haven't ran any UOA's or I would post it for you. Try it and run a UOA. Mind you the engineers here that have the cars were running 20W-50 before I got them to use a lighter weight oil. So they are impressed with it so far. With a heavier weight oil the oil system will bypass the filter as pressure is above 80 PSI. The engines have a high volume unit that is put on the Roush models. All of this info is from a project engineer up north in michigan that is currently working on the 06 cobra progam. Hope that helps
patriot.gif

I guess my concern with GC stems from a couple of reasons. First, I hear there is a design issue with the cobra's driver side cylinder head that may cause oil starvation in certain conditions causing excessive wear on some parts leading to a "tick" noise. It's not clear at this point what is causing this, as it doesn't affect everybody. One possibility is the oil doesn't reach that part of the head because the passages are too thin. This would be a concern if the oil is too thick and could not flow through the smaller passages. Since GC is a thicker oil at operating temps, especially compared to a 5w-20 oil, that is one of my fears.

If the viscosity is a concern for you why don't you run Redline 5W-20 or Royal Purple 5W-20. They should afford you extra protection over the Motorcraft 5W-20 and still be the correct viscosity.

Whimsey

quote:

Originally posted by pooter WS6:
I am an engineer for Ford Motor Co. and many guys here are using it as it quiets the engine down better than the 5w-20 and give more protection to the rod bearings since the engine has an SC on it. Everyone that is using it is pushing 456+ RWHP. They have reported no problems and will continue to use it. They haven't ran any UOA's or I would post it for you. Try it and run a UOA. Mind you the engineers here that have the cars were running 20W-50 before I got them to use a lighter weight oil. So they are impressed with it so far. With a heavier weight oil the oil system will bypass the filter as pressure is above 80 PSI. The engines have a high volume unit that is put on the Roush models. All of this info is from a project engineer up north in michigan that is currently working on the 06 cobra progam. Hope that helps
patriot.gif

I love it, a Ford engineer working on the '06 Cobra and drives an fbody
smile.gif
lol.gif

BTW, I am switching to GC in my Firehawk in spring when my car gets out of storage
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by JRHAWK9:

quote:

patriot.gif

I love it, a Ford engineer working on the '06 Cobra and drives an fbody
smile.gif
lol.gif

BTW, I am switching to GC in my Firehawk in spring when my car gets out of storage
smile.gif

I think PooterWS6 is quoting the info posted , from somewhere else. From the "...project engineer up north in Michigan." Doesn't say the Cobra engineer doesn't drive a Ford.

quote:

patriot.gif

I can hear the Cobras talking to each other now, "SLX....Yessssss it is our preciousssssssss" (hope you saw Lord of the Rings).

I'm still a little worried since no one here has used gc in a cobra and done a uoa. Reading around other posts, there seem to be many that feel gc doesn't go well with the 4.6L modular engine, with excessive start up noises, or piston slap. I've also asked in a SVT forum whether anyone has used gc and got no responses there.

quote:

Originally posted by bcwang:
I'm still a little worried since no one here has used gc in a cobra and done a uoa. Reading around other posts, there seem to be many that feel gc doesn't go well with the 4.6L modular engine, with excessive start up noises, or piston slap. I've also asked in a SVT forum whether anyone has used gc and got no responses there.

I appreciate your concern. I run GC in a GM engine, but not in our Ford modular. GC is the holy grail for some engines, but I don't think it necessarily applies to yours.

I'd be inclined to go to M1 10W-30 and go from there.
dunno.gif
Can't extropolate GC performance in LS1 and Euro stuff on to Ford modulars.
spaz.gif

I would imagine GC should work very well in the Cobra, even with it's high-30-weight charactaristics. Not many people on here have tried it with a Cobra (especially of that 'vintage') because not many people here are lucky enough to own one.
smile.gif

bcwang, I'm sure GC will work fine for you. Try it, run a UOA and maybe you'll be the first to post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back