GC 5k miles in GM 3.6L DI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 21Rouge
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
What did the OLM read?

55% with the interval being about 3.5 months.

Was that with the GC? that seems reasonable based on the UOA. What about the previous run's OLM? You wouldn't happen to remeber it by chance?

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
What did the OLM read?

55% with the interval being about 3.5 months.

Was that with the GC? that seems reasonable based on the UOA. What about the previous run's OLM? You wouldn't happen to remeber it by chance?

Yup. For the previous winter run of the Petro Canada 0W30 the OLM was 50%. Clearly the winter OCI was much harder as 5% less on the OLM but 600 miles less than the GC run.

That's interesting. Be good to see how the GC would look after a similar winter run at ~50% OLM. Are you considering trying out a 5W or 10W30 run to see how it does?

Originally Posted By: badtlc
That previous UOA was not just a "trace" of fuel. That was serious fuel dilution. I wish there was a flash point for both.

340 for the Petro Canada 0W30

385 for this run of GC

Thanks. That is what I thought. The PC did as well as GC, maybe better. Can't really say since GC wasn't run in the same conditions.

Id say any reduction in wear indicated by the UOA is trending. Recall also the Castrol Edge UOA on the same engine on here, much lower visc and much better wear. Maybe viscocity is less important than the add packs? You guys get some cool oils up there with Petro Canada and such, but you also get ripped on M1 so who knows where the trade offs are.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
That's interesting. Be good to see how the GC would look after a similar winter run at ~50% OLM. Are you considering trying out a 5W or 10W30 run to see how it does?

I had done several runs of QH 5W30 (albeit for short intervals) and the shear was significant as I recall.

GC and now HDEO Esso XD 0W30 both have a visc of just over 12 at 100C. I am confident that either/both will fare better in the presence of fuel i.e. not shear to below...9?

But for sure the test of any of these oils in this engine is the winter OCI.

(I will sample and UOA this current HDEO come early November and based upon the results and those previous I will then decide on the winter oil i.e. to run November to March)

Last edited:
I think you have proven it once again that running out the OLM on this specific engine is not a wise thing to do. Appears to be a good engine with enough HP and torque to lug around a heavy vehicle with ease while producing good mileage results. However, for longevity 5K or less OCIs are probably the direction to follow.

Right now it is only the Fe that is out of whack (or is that wack?) i.e all other wear #s are continuing to trend down or are ok including TBN, viscosity, insolubles...

And I still hope that some of this high Fe is in part due to the previous run.

I will admit defeat if I get similar high iron for this current run of HDEO.

Originally Posted By: Nederlander75
Id say any reduction in wear indicated by the UOA is trending. Recall also the Castrol Edge UOA on the same engine on here, much lower visc and much better wear. Maybe viscocity is less important than the add packs? You guys get some cool oils up there with Petro Canada and such, but you also get ripped on M1 so who knows where the trade offs are.

Do you have the link for that Edge UOA?

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: Nederlander75

Do you have the link for that Edge UOA?

It is here:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1908794&page=1

but this is for an OCI less than half of distance of the one shown here.

Originally Posted By: lonestar
I think you have proven it once again that running out the OLM on this specific engine is not a wise thing to do. Appears to be a good engine with enough HP and torque to lug around a heavy vehicle with ease while producing good mileage results. However, for longevity 5K or less OCIs are probably the direction to follow.

True that.

I trust the OLM in my Pursuit, but I have yet to gain a trust for the OLM in my Outlook. It seems that 50% OLM on the 3.6DI in a Lambda platform is effectively the 0% to 10% range on other vehicles.

I think you have proven it once again that running out the OLM on this specific engine is not a wise thing to do.

We don't know that. We don't have any way of assigning significance to the numbers nor does anyone here know what running out the OLM even looks like. Everyone cuts it short.

It's like the valve deposit thing with the Audi engine. Everyone copes with it by changing the oil early. For all we know the excessive deposits are due to adding more and more volatiles to form deposits ...since no one runs the full OCI due to fuel dilution.

We feel it would be unwise due to short indications, but for all we know they reach a saturation point not much different than this.

Currently it looks like we'll never know ..even though there are probably tens of thousands of units doing just that without issue ..or at least wear issues.

I agree...

We don't know that. We don't have any way of assigning significance to the numbers nor does anyone here know what running out the OLM even looks like. Everyone cuts it short.

but say to ^^^...."Says who?"
grin2.gif

I just ran mine to 0%. But maybe you were referring to this 3.6L.

Originally Posted By: BigTallV

True that.

I trust the OLM in my Pursuit, but I have yet to gain a trust for the OLM in my Outlook. It seems that 50% OLM on the 3.6DI in a Lambda platform is effectively the 0% to 10% range on other vehicles.

I also trust the OLM in my 2003 Trailblazer. As I go to 0%- with miles on the oil as high as 11,000 on dino oil...
the change oil light just came on yesterday--- I have an oil change on the trailblazer today- Oil this time went about 10,000 I think- I think im nearing 155,000
See here.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1906565

as for my 2010 Traverse- ive run it down to 50 and 47% on the OLM.... with about 5500 miles on dino oil...
see here-
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1906376

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back