FWD BMW Sedan $35k 228i Gran Coupe

Looks interesting. It will be appealing to a certain segment of the market, but the purists who insist on RWD and an MT may not like it.

Isn't the Gran Coupe a Mini derivitive? Not supposed to drive like a BMW either.
The 2GC is built on their FWD platform, also used by the X1/X2, and MINI, as well as an MPV that wasn't sold here.

Given the competition (A-class, A3) are also FWD, it's not an outlier, but they do a better job of adhering to the family look.

Not the kind of thing traditionalist BMW enthusiasts seek, but that could be said for much of their model line now, even those that retain RWD.

The 2-series coupe is going to stick with RWD/AWD. We'll see if the next gen is still an oinker.

Makes me miss my old E46 330ci all the more.
23C1AED1-3496-4CB7-83BA-D9836AFBDAA6.jpeg

The MB A Class seems to be doing well so this seems to just slot in well within that category. There are a large % of consumers who go in for the badge only and don't care 1 bit about brand heritage, driven wheels, etc. - they just want the 3 pointed star or propeller up front.

Huh. I actually don’t mind the look, at least as pictured. The FWD overhang (overbite) usually makes me so sad (here’s looking at you, s60) as it just destroys the lines (and balance) of a car to my eye. Perhaps the angle hides it. I think they really could have done a better job with the rear, however. There is nothing ”bmw“ about the tail.

BUT, for losing a 90 degree energy loss in the back axle, I’m surprised the mpg is not more; doesn’t seem much of a gain from the I4 turbo in the newer 328.

BMW and MB selling lower priced entry level cars is a short term win for them but long term will erode the very thing those brands depend on, status. JMO.

BMW and MB selling lower priced entry level cars is a short term win for them but long term will erode the very thing those brands depend on, status. JMO.
Exactly. BMW having a million different models has made the cars less special, and the lack of driving dynamics in a lot of the newer ones including this front wheel drive car, will be a hard pass from me.

My guess is, they're hoping that the overall increase in sales coming from these lower priced models will far outweigh the losses resulting from the erosion in the upper end. No longer a status symbol, but if revenues and profits are up, then that's all that the shareholders care about.

I don't think the people who spring for a "true" Mercedes or BMW give two craps about the lowest priced models, what wheels drive them or whatever "heritage" is lost on the entry level models.

Look at the dumpster fire MB CLA-250 that has been around for years, I doubt that it being an overall terrible car has impacted the sales of the RWD models. I don't think Betty or Bob Who that lease a new E/S every 3-4 years really even gives the CLA or A a second thought.

Wow, so i can have BMW quality and front wheel drive?? My two favorites! /sarcasm

Honestly i think i would rather drive anything else.

BMW has given up their RWD mantra long time ago, the moment they started offering xDrive.
The the 2 (coupe), 3, 4, 5, 7, and 8 series, including corresponding X models, are all RWD-based platforms. Some models can be had in RWD, some are exclusively RWD, and some have a mode to make them RWD. All models of those series that have xDrive are rear-biased. I can drift my M340i xDrive if I want to but it's still good in the snow, win win. I'm not completely on board with the 2 series sedan but most of BMW's lineup is as it should be and it wouldn't be right to single them out (hello Mercedes). On the whole they're offering many outstanding cars right now.

Wow, so i can have BMW quality and front wheel drive?? My two favorites! /sarcasm

Honestly i think i would rather drive anything else.
I've had good luck with BMW so far and know many others who have, too. Should anyone who drives VAG products be commenting about RWD and BMW quality? ;)

Back