Fun slow cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ How much did losing the catco on that festiva gain you?
lol.gif

One of the guys in our very exclusive motor sports club owns it.
crackmeup2.gif
I imagine he got a couple hp with the straight through exhaust and lost a couple pounds...
It's actually getting pretty quick these days and the mazda 1.3 seems to love hitting the limiter again and again.
You should check out an autocross race sometime, use your skills to strip down a SC2 coupe to the bare minimum, I imagine it could be less than 1500lbs and with some free tweeks might get 140hp?

MG Midget/AH Sprite, i had a Midget 1500 but they are all fun

Light, tossable and forgiving with a whopping 65hp or less at the end of the production run. Spitfire's are up there too until the swing axle tucks..still exciting but not as much fun.

1964 Renault R-8 950cc
renault-r8.jpg

48 ground shredding horsepower. It would beat a 1964 VW in a stoplight gran prix and had a an actual top speed of 80 mph. It sounded like an angry sewing machine at 80 mph. Sounded busy but comfortable at 70 mph.

Handling was pretty good up to the point where the rear swing axle would jack up and start to roll the car, definitely entertaining. I drove it hard for 2 years before I got rid of it, the only real problem was a leaky transaxle I never fixed.

Edit: I forgot to mention the 4 wheel disk brakes, a 1st on any econobox and I believe ahead of any America production car. It was a treacherous beast in heavy cross winds or when pushed to it's limits in corners and compared to it, a VW Beatle was built like a tank. It was still fun.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back