Fun slow cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is an old saying that it is more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.
What fun cars have you had that could only be considered slow?
Our new to us BMW 318i certainly qualifies.
I would also put my old MGB in this class.
The Corvairs I had were surely not fast, but were very entertaining.
The six cylinder Novas I had were probably faster than the 'vairs, but were not at all entertaining.
Old Civics were always entertaining to drive, so I will throw in our '76 CVCC 1500 hatch, as well as our two '86 Wagons.
The MB diesels were also entertaining, in their way.
Nothing has suspension like a 123. Forget VSC, since the 123 didn't need it. The car always helped the driver, with no electronic nannies neded.
What really enjoyable cars have all of you had that could only be considered slow?

You're singing my tune with the 318 and w123s being cited. Couldn't agree with you more!

almost ever car I've owned! there is ALWAYS something faster, or you have someone tell you it's slow.
anyway, my present Mazda5 is a heckava fun ride, but it's still only 150something hp.
8valve GTI's in the mid 80's, 110hp.
1st gen saturn SC2 (99" wheelbase!), 124hp, 2400lbs, do the math.
had a '70 nova w/ a warmed over 283; w/ a M21 and 3:73 gears, it was quick enough through 3rd gear, but lots of cars pulled away by then.

Metro, Tercel and Festiva, pretty much any really sub compact pile of junk. I don't know why, but they are like driving a go cart around and really fun because of that.

My 1988 Chevy Sprint Metro 1.0L 3-cyl 5-spd (really a Suzuki in disguise) is actually quite a lot of fun to drive. And nobody has *ever* accused it of being fast. Its 55mpg city/60mpg hwy rating is also quite fun. Probably the most fun thing of all.

2009 Honda Fit Sport. It's not fast by modern standards with merely 117 hp/109 ft/lbs. It does drive like a large go-kart, and will gladly rail around corners like nobody's business. It'll also bear you around in comfort on highway trips.

Well, just about anything with a manual transmission would generally be fun to me. I would prefer larger engines that have good torque, as I believe some of the fun in driving a slower car (or truck) is a nice torquy feel. That is why I love driving my 4.9L inline six ('95 F150). It really has a nice feel when you floor it.

1991 Toyota Corolla SR-5 coupe. It WASN'T a GT-S, so it had the base Corolla 100hp engine.

Still a great driving car. My 1986 Honda Civic 1500 5-speed was also a great car to drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back