Fuel Tank Drain Bolt Washer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just drained my fuel tank and put some new fuel in it and its now leaking from the drain bolt.

I'm wondering if there was, say, a nylon washer on there and it got away when I removed the bolt, though I don't remember noticing one. There was (and is) a metal washer, either steel or aluminium, (i.e. not copper).

I'll find out which when I take it off again.

If its an aluminium crush washer I suppose I might have to try and source a replacement, though I've always been able to re-use them before.

Last edited:
Yeh, its aluminium, and fairly crushed, having extruded a lip into the bolt hole, so I suppose I need a new one.

(Because I didn't want to waste the petrol I'd already put in it, I took it for a 50k or so test drive (of some carb repairs and an improvised radiator hose), on which I became a little stressed about the possibility of running out of fuel in rush hour traffic. Got back OK and removed the bolt immediately.

By luck or (probably not) judgement not a drop came out)

Got a copper one from a local garage.

I assume there shouldn't be any issues using that instead?

I can grease it to reduce the chance of electrochemical corrosion of the tank.

Ducked - you are a lucky duck to have a drain bolt on your gas tank - what ever it is. Most cars don't have one.

Originally Posted By: user52165
Ducked - you are a lucky duck to have a drain bolt on your gas tank - what ever it is. Most cars don't have one.

I've had a few cars with but more without, but then I run old cars, which I suppose are more likely to have them.

Lada, Nissan Sunny and now this Daihatsu Skywing are the ones I know had them, but its possible I wasn't aware of, or have forgotten, others.

Was useful on the Sunny when I put diesel in it. Would have been even more useful if I'd known it was there instead of assuming I'd have to remove the tank and arranging a tow.

I know the Morris Marina did not have one, because I had to remove the tank, one of my nearer death experiences, but a fairly long story.

In practice (at least on this Daihatsu, I think the Lada was OK) it seems to be impossible to avoid the drained petrol getting contaminated with underseal, so its too risky to re-use it. Not sure what I'm going to do with a gallon plus of dirty petrol.

Last edited:
My US-built 89 Honda Accord had a drain bolt on the gas tank. I never touched it in 23 years, but I thought it unique.

Most old Hondas had drain plugs. Also they had an access hatch under the back seat so you can R&R fuel pump with the tank in place.

Originally Posted By: mk378
Also they had an access hatch under the back seat so you can R&R fuel pump with the tank in place.

Yup, mine sure did. Very thoughtful, don't you think?

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Here in the USA a drain plug on your fuel tank would be an open invitation for someone to take your gas.

Well, yes, but OTOH, unless they are honorable thieves, it'd probably be fairly easy to bash a hole in the tank. The fuel tends to get contaminated anyway, but that might be acceptable if your car was also stolen.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Originally Posted By: mk378
Also they had an access hatch under the back seat so you can R&R fuel pump with the tank in place.

Yup, mine sure did. Very thoughtful, don't you think?

Since they don't AFAIK have them any more, those must now be considered bad thoughts, from a corporate perspective.

Last edited:
Put the copper washer on yesterday and managed to resist backing it up with polythene or PTFE.

It seems to be holding OK.

Really don't like the idea of copper next to (thin) steel, but that attitude was probably formed mostly by boats.

I'll keep it greased/oiled, and keep an eye on it.

I have a 10mm end wrench that says "Toyota" on it. In the 1970s they shipped every car with a fairly extensive tool kit for roadside repairs. They quit doing that quite a while ago, obviously you don't want a new car buyer thinking about the possibility of roadside repairs. And most of them have never had a wrench in their hand and never want to.

As for the drain plug I'd get it clean and dry and look closely to be sure there's no leaks. Then apply a couple of coats of spray paint.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back