fuel from garbage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this on the news a few weeks ago. Apparently some company says they can do this and have it ready to go in 3 years. and GM has signed on with them.

That's about all I know. Anyone else hear about this?

Oh yeah and they said it would only be about a $1.00 a gallon.

They have been able to make ethanol or "petrolium" based fuels from garbage for awhile now. Nobody is backing it as a big money lobbyist and it makes far too much sense to do so people rather go down some path of stupidity like ethanol from corn.

You have to figure if you just broke even engery wise getting fuel from garbage you still have a net ecoliogical gain in reducing the amount of garbage that gets burried.

I think the landfill in this area(Appleton) just started in the last year to put in a system to use the methane rather than burn it in a 10 foot tall flame on top of the stack. Recovering that wont all at once change the world but even just using what is naturally happening anyway just makes sense.

Originally Posted By: nuskool
I saw this on the news a few weeks ago. Apparently some company says they can do this and have it ready to go in 3 years. and GM has signed on with them.

That's about all I know. Anyone else hear about this?

Oh yeah and they said it would only be about a $1.00 a gallon.

That would be these guys
http://www.reuters.com/article/environme...environmentNews
Google the companies name and you will find a more info on them.

For now they are aiming more at turning plant cellulose into ethanol than they are turning garbage into ethanol. It does sound like anything with cellulose fiber has potential.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
You'd have to stop people from recycling paper, plastic and compost to make it work, though.

That would be recycling.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
yes, but less retained value. You can burn used motor oil, or reprocess it.

That is obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back