Fuel Additives or Fuel Line Cleaners

So I'm not a big fan of adding these types of things to any engine and I've tried the seafoam stuff twice and wasn't impressed. But after watching several youtube videos about Gumout Multi System Tuneup. I thought I'd give this a try. We've bene driving the van all weekend and I've noticed a difference with the performance of the engine. I believe at some point we've been getting some bad gasoline so I thought using this product would help clean or clear some things up a bit. One issue I'm having is that the Connect gas lid doesn't have a sealed cap nor has one ever bene made to fit this area. I suspect that with the right tools One could add a sealer or locking cap. we've no gotten a check engine light with the way the fill lid has bene designed, but I fear that the rubber seal around the lid will become worn. other than this, I'm so far impressed with this gumout product.

There are basically 2 types of "fuel system cleaners" on store shelves these days.

One type is the fuel injector/fuel injection system cleaner which I believe is best represented by Techron Complete and the active ingredients (of which PEA is one) "focus" their cleaning power on fuel injector deposits.

The other type of "fuel system cleaners" are the solvent type of cleaners that aim to remove varnish and other soluble gunk out of the entire system. Acetone, xylenes, toluene, and Naphtha are a few examples of the kinds of solvents used, and Berryman B-12 is perhaps the best example of this type of fuel system cleaner. This is also the type of cleaner that was widely used for fuel systems with carburetors.

So, if you want to clean the fuel injectors, use a PEA based fuel system cleaner, and for fuel gauge sending units, carburetors, or varnish based problems, use a solvent type of cleaner like Berryman B-12.

So I'm not a big fan of adding these types of things to any engine and I've tried the seafoam stuff twice and wasn't impressed. But after watching several youtube videos about Gumout Multi System Tuneup. I thought I'd give this a try. We've bene driving the van all weekend and I've noticed a difference with the performance of the engine. I believe at some point we've been getting some bad gasoline so I thought using this product would help clean or clear some things up a bit. One issue I'm having is that the Connect gas lid doesn't have a sealed cap nor has one ever bene made to fit this area. I suspect that with the right tools One could add a sealer or locking cap. we've no gotten a check engine light with the way the fill lid has bene designed, but I fear that the rubber seal around the lid will become worn. other than this, I'm so far impressed with this gumout product.
@Trav who has a business refurbishing injectors had some suggestions based on what he was seeing from customer injectors. Hopefully he can chime.

So I'm not a big fan of adding these types of things to any engine and I've tried the seafoam stuff twice and wasn't impressed.
I don't think that "clogged" fuel lines are even a thing - your filters would be clogged way before something like this happens.

So, no wonder it does nothing.

Small holes and passages in a carb though - yeah much more likely - but still, the filter should take care of any grime before it hits the carb. So the only thing left is byproducts of chemical reactions of the carb metal/seals with gas.

And yes, injectors can profit from chemical cleaning.

Chevron worked with BMW to develop the present PET cleaners for valve deposits. Since nothing has be proven better, I will use TECHRON fuel system cleaner since they spent the Resorces to develop the cleaner. Ed

Chevron worked with BMW to develop the present PET cleaners for valve deposits. Since nothing has be proven better, I will use TECHRON fuel system cleaner since they spent the Resorces to develop the cleaner. Ed
Bavauto used Redline Oil and fuel additive. I believe BMW even had a part number for the si-1. I will look into it and get back to you when I gather the rest of the Intel. I like both Techron and Si-1.

Back