Fuel additive that increases fuel mileage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
If there was a magic additive that increased gas mileage, and more than paid for itself, I would expect it to be a permanent part of our fuel supply and mandated across all 50 States.

I shudder to think that such a thing can be overlooked and ignored by our nations top scientists and engineers, or kept secret for too long.

It's common sense, but there are millions consumers with no common sense at all and they are the victims of snake oil marketing.

I did buy a bottle of Lucas fuel additive recently. It made no discernible difference. 100 mL in a 70 L tank (0.1% by volume) cannot make a difference. I've stopped using it, and just use premium fuel, which has always delivered meaningful increases in mileage for me.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Quote:
If there was a magic additive that increased gas mileage, and more than paid for itself, I would expect it to be a permanent part of our fuel supply and mandated across all 50 States.

I shudder to think that such a thing can be overlooked and ignored by our nations top scientists and engineers, or kept secret for too long.

It's common sense, but there are millions consumers with no common sense at all and they are the victims of snake oil marketing.

Exactly. Which is why discussions on BITOG about this can be very beneficial.

I do not think that you will find any great improvements in Fuel economy with gas engines just by adding a fuel treatment. Though there may be other benefits.
Diesel engines however, burn fuels that are much more inconsistent and introduce more variables into the equation. I would argue that 3-5% mpg improvement is attainable with some diesel fuel treatments.

This is my take on fuel additives!

You can only increase fuel mileage if you have lost MPG. Oh sure, you can help your MPG a variety of different ways such as driving style and proper tune of the engine and PSI in the tires but, additives in the fuel tank can only improve MPG if you have lost MPG to begin with.

The way additives are marketed is: They mention that their product inproves MPG...Well yes, if your gas mileage is lower due to a dirty fuel system/intake valves/combustion chamber, and their product cleans out the crud helping to improve the mileage/performance.

But, if your engine is in proper tune, most of us won't see any improvements in MPG from the additive all by itself. Most fuel additives/fuel system cleaners that are held in high regard here at Bob's are at least a good PM additive, even if we as customers don't find any MPG improvements. We're keeping our systems clean! And keeping your system clean will keep you MPG about as good as it's going to be.

But with some products(fuel system additives), their marketing is such that[they] market their product specificly to improve MPG which leades customers to buy such products(alot), thinking MPG will increase on an already good running engine. NOT THE CASE!

Maybe, just maybe, there are instances where "JOE" adds a fuel system additive to his already good running engine and finds an increase in MPG. But, these cases are few and far between.

I just wish there were something to restore the 10% whack to MPG ever since ethanol came to be.

^If ethanol fuels have truly impacted a neglected or otherwise older vehicle, I'd imagine some of what it 'did' is irreversible as far as some degradation of aged rubbers/components subject to any actual cleaner. How aggressive is the ethanol in e-10? I do not know. I suppose that's why folks use UCL etc, to try to combat the feared 'over-cleansing' which may not show up in MPG gains(using UCL), but rather is simply a concern at prevention of 'potentially' having degraded parts over long-term use with e-10 fuel.

If there is any credence to this, I suppose it's why I wouldn't mind changing my fuel filters on time at the latest, in the event it's been having to catch more gunk from cleansing.

Wondered if anyone has tried the Mach3 Super Eco Fuel Saver. This is the one that used to be marketed by an MLM in Canada back in 08'; forget what it was called at that time. I do think that the MLM company is gone, but the product is still manufactured out in CA. They have some pretty impressive test results, including the SAE one. I was thinking about trying a bottle to see what it does.

Don't bother . Here is the msds. Its 90% alcohol and 10% what I guess to be solvents. PROPRIETARY my [censored] .Same [censored] as the other 50 cheap additives.
So if you think that 1 tenth of one ounce per tank of gas is going to revolutionize the molecules in your fuel to deliver up to 16% better mileage you best just send all that money my way.
I can spend it a lot wiser.
Doesn't our fuel have enough destructive ethanol in it.

ETHANOL 64-17-5 KQ6300000 200-578-6 ≤ 65.0 1000 NA 1000 NA NA
BENZYL ALCOHOL 100-51-6 DN3150000 202-859-9 ≤ 25.0 NA NA NA NA NA
PROPRIETARY INGREDIENTS NA NA NA ≤ 10.0 NA NA NA NA NA

Didn't we just go through Super Echo Fuel Saver just last week? Remember "Extra 100 km per tank" ???

I am going to start selling 1 gallon jugs of gasoline for $50 with a cool label explaining how you will knock off a whole gallon for the same milage at the next fill-up...

...guaranteed!
smile.gif

mongo 161 : This may be the best fuel concoction yet ! I am experimenting mixing TC-W3 and Techron 1:1 . I previously used TC-W3 at a rate of two ozs. per 10 gallons of gas which came out to a 640:1 ratio . With the addition of Techron 1:1 with TC-W3 I have gone to a 320:1 ratio so I still keep the TC-W3 ratio constant with what I used before . If I need to I can adjust to 420:1 or a little lighter if I notice fuel mileage begin to suffer . You get the UCL with the TC-W3 and the continual fuel system cleaner with the Techron - what's not to like ?. An easy way to measure is with this simple converter tool for mixing up your own ratios : http://www.csgnetwork.com/oilfuelcalc.html

Compared to TC-W3, Techron is lot more expensive. The best price I have had on 20Oz bottle is around $10 vs $2 for 16 Oz of TC-W3

True , you could revert back to just using the Techron every 3K miles and stick with TC-W3 for the rest of the time .

First tank results for me using Mach3. My daily driver is a 92 Ford Festiva; 200k miles on it. Mechanically the motor still runs pretty good for this little car. Its baseline for me has averaged 36-37 MPG. I record the mileage every time I fill up. Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised to calculate 40MPG on that first tank using this stuff. This was using the same roads, driving habits as I normally drive. No placebo effect here either.

I'll post subsequent results as I get em'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back