Frustrated with Dealership!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Sounds like you didn't have an appointment and they had to enter your vehicles information in their system since it was the first time there.

As far as the "code" for a brake flush, if you look at a repair order there are what called "labor ops" that is the code for each job. If the writer was new or they changed management software, there is a whole different list of ops used.

What you wanted would be an all day thing at my work as well. The engine complaint would be diagnosed first, then depending on what they find, it would go to a lube guy for the oil change and brake flush. Makes no sense to have a line tech doing the maintenance work, and it makes no sense to have the oil changed on a vehicle before getting engine diagnosis done.

X2.

What time did you show up? Even if you showed up at 8:00 AM, they don't know for sure what they will encounter and "by the end of the day" is a fair promise IMO. If you got there any time past 9:00 AM, there's a good chance they were fully booked for the day for anything beyond oil changes/really simple stuff.

Techs generally aren't sitting around. If the tech is on flat rate pay, it's not worth it for them to sit around waiting for work. If it's an hourly oil changer, the dealer isn't going to let them sit around doing nothing. Either way things work out so there is basically no labor slack. If you get in and out quickly at a dealer, things worked out and planets aligned for that to happen. Don't expect it every day for every repair or service.

The quickest oil change at the dealer I work at is probably when I change the oil on my Rangers under the bedliner awning.

I had an appointment for 1:00 P.M. I showed up around 12:50ish and was directed into the lane where a service adviser comes out to check you in. It usually takes all of 30 seconds for one to pop out and greet you...well I was waiting in my car until 1:20-1:30 before an adviser came out to check me in. Again, I did have an appointment that specified that I was a "waiter", waiters always take priority per the dealership. After the service writer finished taking down what I needed to have done (yes this was odd as I did have an appointment that specified all of this) I asked how long and he said (end of day / closing time)...I wasn't pleased with this as I was a waiter, thats when he said, "well, thats what happens when you just show up". To which I replied, "I didn't just show up...I have an appointment". Thats when he changed his story and said, well an appointment is just a time to bring your car in, it doesn't mean we will start the work right away 0.0. Oh well, whats done is done. I did file a complaint with Corporate and they said they will assign the case to someone who specifically deals with these dealer complaints, and that it would be addressed. I'm glad Honda corporate does get involved and didn't just blow me off. When I wrote my yelp review there were plenty of review for THE EXACT SAME issues concerning scheduling. Good reviews about the sales department but not so good reviews about service. I deal with people every day at work, and honestly I do help them in whatever way I can because thats my job! This dealership seems to have lost its interest in the customer IMO.

Hey, a few hours isn't too bad...wait until you hear my most recent story.

I made an appointment at 11am for an alignment. I arrived at 11, and asked if they could get it done by the end of the day.

The service writer asked me if I could pick it up the next day since they were a bit busy.
shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: B20z
Wow, lots of dealer defense on this one. Which is interesting since they have no defense at all seeing as how the OP had an appt. But watch the goalposts shift anyway...

OP, this is the main reason I learned to wrench myself. At the time I was driving 60kmi per year. Dealers, independents, chains, whatever wanted days for the simplest of maintenance and I just couldn't be without the car that long (and I didn't want to keep a backup). So I learned bit by bit, did the work at night after working all day and the car/truck was ready by morning. Coincidentally I was also living in FL but the dealers in NY haven't proven to be any better.

Honda of America is the reason the VTC actuator problem won't get resolved. Along with the trans issues and brake problems. I've found they really don't care at all. I hope that the aftermarket finds a resolution for the noise (which I'm sure is quite embarrassing). I've written to Honda of Japan in the past and gotten an encouraging reply for my trouble. Not sure there's a resolution forthcoming in this case though.

Yeah, I feel if I wrote a glowing review of the dealer people would say I was nuts and that dealers are out to get us ;P Can't win for loosing I guess! Anyway, I hope your wrong about the VTC issue being resolved! I know that in the past Honda has stepped up to the plate. Honda Civic blocks cracking, air bag recalls, Civic sun visors breaking, some auto trans "fixes" on certain Accords. Maybe this issue just isn't big enough for them to fix. I was encouraged when I heard that they were aware, and were working toward a resolution. She also said that as of now the consensus among the engineers is that its just a nuisance and no damage should occur. Time will tell I suppose!

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Hey, a few hours isn't too bad...wait until you hear my most recent story.

I made an appointment at 11am for an alignment. I arrived at 11, and asked if they could get it done by the end of the day.

The service writer asked me if I could pick it up the next day since they were a bit busy.
shocked.gif

Yikes! No thanks! Hey, the bad thing is...the guy I was speaking to said they were slow today! Hah, that was making the situation so much better 0.0

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Hopefully it will get fixed soon. I was surprised you got rid of your cream puff older Accord.

Yep she was a cream puff for sure, I actually said goodbye when I was removing my Honda branded front licence plate...I felt pretty sad leaving her there
frown.gif
I do have a reason behind the trade in but Ill keep that to myself.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
... Anyway, I hope your wrong about the VTC issue being resolved! I know that in the past Honda has stepped up to the plate. Honda Civic blocks cracking, air bag recalls, Civic sun visors breaking, some auto trans "fixes" on certain Accords. Maybe this issue just isn't big enough for them to fix. I was encouraged when I heard that they were aware, and were working toward a resolution. She also said that as of now the consensus among the engineers is that its just a nuisance and no damage should occur. Time will tell I suppose!

I also hope your issue is resolved quickly. I do have to say that in all of the examples you mentioned, to my knowledge HoA didn't do ANYTHING until the issue became a large black-eye for them. They've let plenty of Ody/Accord owners pay for tranny after tranny long after it became apparent that something was very wrong. It's a ridiculous game.

Wow, lots of dealer defense on this one. Which is interesting since they have no defense at all seeing as how the OP had an appt. But watch the goalposts shift anyway...

OP, this is the main reason I learned to wrench myself. At the time I was driving 60kmi per year. Dealers, independents, chains, whatever wanted days for the simplest of maintenance and I just couldn't be without the car that long (and I didn't want to keep a backup). So I learned bit by bit, did the work at night after working all day and the car/truck was ready by morning. Coincidentally I was also living in FL but the dealers in NY haven't proven to be any better.

Honda of America is the reason the VTC actuator problem won't get resolved. Along with the trans issues and brake problems. I've found they really don't care at all. I hope that the aftermarket finds a resolution for the noise (which I'm sure is quite embarrassing). I've written to Honda of Japan in the past and gotten an encouraging reply for my trouble. Not sure there's a resolution forthcoming in this case though.

I didn't see his post about making an appointment. I don't work for his Honda dealer, so I have no goalpost to shift. A lot of customers do have expectations of "do it now" that are unreasonable though, and OP did not mention an appointment in his first post. An appointment makes a big difference. Where I work, the service writers would love to squeeze in a no-appointment simple maintenance RO if they can.

I didn't see his post about making an appointment. I don't work for his Honda dealer, so I have no goalpost to shift. A lot of customers do have expectations of "do it now" that are unreasonable though, and OP did not mention an appointment in his first post. An appointment makes a big difference. Where I work, the service writers would love to squeeze in a no-appointment simple maintenance RO if they can.

That was my fault, I thought I had included that info I apologize.

OK. Why didn't gregk24 give us all the information? Now we know that he had set up an appointment with the dealer and requested to be a "waiter", the dealer should have pointed out DURING THE PHONE CONVERSATION that it might be possible that due to work load it could be as long as the end of the work day before his vehicle was ready to go.

LOL....Here I was giving the dealer the benefit of the doubt since I am pretty harsh on them, and this seemed like one of those times when the customer was being unreasonable, and what do we find....the dealer didn't properly communicate with the customer.....THIS IS WHY WE CALL THEM STEALERSHIPS!

Last edited:
Sounds like you didn't have an appointment and they had to enter your vehicles information in their system since it was the first time there.

As far as the "code" for a brake flush, if you look at a repair order there are what called "labor ops" that is the code for each job. If the writer was new or they changed management software, there is a whole different list of ops used.

What you wanted would be an all day thing at my work as well. The engine complaint would be diagnosed first, then depending on what they find, it would go to a lube guy for the oil change and brake flush. Makes no sense to have a line tech doing the maintenance work, and it makes no sense to have the oil changed on a vehicle before getting engine diagnosis done.

X2.

What time did you show up? Even if you showed up at 8:00 AM, they don't know for sure what they will encounter and "by the end of the day" is a fair promise IMO. If you got there any time past 9:00 AM, there's a good chance they were fully booked for the day for anything beyond oil changes/really simple stuff.

Techs generally aren't sitting around. If the tech is on flat rate pay, it's not worth it for them to sit around waiting for work. If it's an hourly oil changer, the dealer isn't going to let them sit around doing nothing. Either way things work out so there is basically no labor slack. If you get in and out quickly at a dealer, things worked out and planets aligned for that to happen. Don't expect it every day for every repair or service.

The quickest oil change at the dealer I work at is probably when I change the oil on my Rangers under the bedliner awning.

I had an appointment for 1:00 P.M. I showed up around 12:50ish and was directed into the lane where a service adviser comes out to check you in. It usually takes all of 30 seconds for one to pop out and greet you...well I was waiting in my car until 1:20-1:30 before an adviser came out to check me in. Again, I did have an appointment that specified that I was a "waiter", waiters always take priority per the dealership. After the service writer finished taking down what I needed to have done (yes this was odd as I did have an appointment that specified all of this) I asked how long and he said (end of day / closing time)...I wasn't pleased with this as I was a waiter, thats when he said, "well, thats what happens when you just show up". To which I replied, "I didn't just show up...I have an appointment". Thats when he changed his story and said, well an appointment is just a time to bring your car in, it doesn't mean we will start the work right away 0.0. Oh well, whats done is done. I did file a complaint with Corporate and they said they will assign the case to someone who specifically deals with these dealer complaints, and that it would be addressed. I'm glad Honda corporate does get involved and didn't just blow me off. When I wrote my yelp review there were plenty of review for THE EXACT SAME issues concerning scheduling. Good reviews about the sales department but not so good reviews about service. I deal with people every day at work, and honestly I do help them in whatever way I can because thats my job! This dealership seems to have lost its interest in the customer IMO.

That's the real issue then.

Did you set the appointment via their website, or over the phone with an actual service writer? I wouldn't trust any dealer website for setting a service appointment. Did they provide any confirmation beforehand?

I understand and I didn't mean to target you specifically. You have to admit though that working at a dealership has made you much less interested in hearing the customer's take first before defending your trade. It's customer service so of course you're jaded. You guys deal with "infallible" customers. Surely a difficult task. Whereas we (the customers) pull into the bay, say hello to the writer, and immediately the lies start flowing. There's no accountability involved. It's always the customer's fault, or the nameplate's, or the weather, or Fedex, or the stars. Never the dealership at fault. It's just as infuriating.

The difference is that one side is paying for the privilege of griping and complaining while hopefully getting their car repaired. You guys get paid to hear that garbage while hopefully making the repair. Make no mistake, as much as you may feel (justly, perhaps) that you shouldn't have to hear it or be talked to that way it is part of your pay. Welcome to the real world. We all deal with it.

Dealerships would be wise to add some credible, serious customer service seminars to their training roster. With the public finally seeing that alternatives to the dealer network are possible massive change could be on the horizon. That change may also mean loss of jobs. It's up to the dealers I guess.

Did you set the appointment via their website, or over the phone with an actual service writer? I wouldn't trust any dealer website for setting a service appointment. Did they provide any confirmation beforehand?

Come on now. The website ate my work order? That is completely disconnected from reason and would not fly in most any other industry. Dealers get away with it because they control whether a person can get to work (keep the roof over their head) or not.

OK, now we have all the info, that does sound like some pretty poor service. Question though - instead of leaving bad reviews online and reporting them to head office, why not just speak to the dealership manager in person right then and there, and seek a resolution that way?

X2.

They spent all that time revamping their website so that people could use it to schedule appointments. They have it so all you have to do is check off what service needs to be done, then check what time slot is available, you can even check which service writer you want...and then check if you are waiting, or dropping off. Yes, I did receive confirmation before hand and they even assigned me a service writer.

Originally Posted By: hpb
OK, now we have all the info, that does sound like some pretty poor service. Question though - instead of leaving bad reviews online and reporting them to head office, why not just speak to the dealership manager in person right then and there, and seek a resolution that way?

I suppose I could have, however this has happened more than once. With my previous Accord they forgot to do an ATF service all together, so I had to wait around AGAIN to have that done. There was also a separate instance where I brought my car in for servicing and there was no record of my appointment but at least that time they put me through the express service lane (they werent to happy about that, but again...their fault not mine). Then there was my last trip (again previous Accord) that I babied and took excellent care of that was damaged during a brake service. It looked like someone was leaning over the car and scrapped it all up with a metal belt buckle. The headlight took the brunt of it, but the front driver side fender had some nice scratches on it as well, not to mention the grease stains on my carpet and driver seat. Two of these issues were addressed by the manager but these issues (may be seemingly insignificant to most) keep happening so I went up the ladder. Who knows maybe the dealer will contact me and make things right.

Edit: on top of my issues there were plenty of other like complaints online concerning the poor scheduling of appointments at this dealer.

Last edited:

This, when my dealer setup online appointments they literally went into the trash can for years. Even having an appointment is no guarantee your car is going to get worked on first, it just helps the dealer plan the day. Priority before appointments are warranty repairs and emergency vehicles.

This, when my dealer setup online appointments they literally went into the trash can for years. Even having an appointment is no guarantee your car is going to get worked on first, it just helps the dealer plan the day. Priority before appointments are warranty repairs and emergency vehicles.

Delightful. Don't be surprised when they replace you, your indifference, and your "counter" with a browser pointed to Rockauto.

The dealer should have followed up with greg when they received the e mail appointment and informed him that due to a heavy workload the vehicle wouldn't be ready for him until the end of the workday.

COMMUNICATION, COMMUNICATION, COMMUNICATION! All these companies talk that game but almost none actually step up and and FOLLOW THROUGH!

Last edited:

Delightful. Don't be surprised when they replace you, your indifference, and your "counter" with a browser pointed to Rockauto.

Being in parts, neither he or I schedule service appointments.

Just because we point out the way things are does not mean we are the cause of it or have any say in it. I am responsible for parts, not for changing the way dealers operate so all customers are satisfied.

They spent all that time revamping their website so that people could use it to schedule appointments. They have it so all you have to do is check off what service needs to be done, then check what time slot is available, you can even check which service writer you want...and then check if you are waiting, or dropping off. Yes, I did receive confirmation before hand and they even assigned me a service writer.

A GM probably got a bug up their [censored] about updating the website then got fired/quit months later, and nobody has touched it since except to update the car inventory. The emails from the service form might be going to some general receptionist who deletes them, or to an unused email account nobody is accessing. The service writer you dealt with probably has no clue about the online service form because nobody ever showed him and it's not going to the email of anyone in service.

If you don't get a confirmation from an actual person (not an automatic "we have received your email!" response), don't consider the appointment set. I'm not trying to justify that, just telling it like it is.

I dread going to my local Honda dealership for the power steering fluid and transmission fluid. It is always crowded and the coffee they have is horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back