Fram vs. Bosch Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honda OEM service use Honda labeled Fram OCD with a P-gasket. BOSCH is relabeled purolator - is the BOSCH FILTEC media same as media used on the high end purolators?

Originally Posted By: Hallmark
Originally Posted By: Zaedock
$26 for a jug of UD and a Tough Guard isn't really a good deal.

+1...at sale prices of US $19 and CDN $22 for 5 quarts/5 liters, that's $7 for the filter.

Hey, it's free to me - thanks to my Christmas Gift Card!

But you bring up an interesting point - 5 quarts for US $19? Where are you shopping? I'd really like to know where I can pick up 5 quarts of QSUD for $3.80 each! At my South Texas Wally World, cheapest I've seen is QSUD 5qt Jug around $24 (on sale). Even that's cheap when you consider Mobil 1 5qt Jugs run about $32 locally.

So does everyone tend to agree - Bosch has a better product than Fram (silver can)
thumbsup2.gif

Here in NW Oklahoma the walmarts have QSUD for 19.5 and have a instant rebate wrapped around the neck for I think 3 or 4 bucks so it is like 16 bucks

Im a fan of bosch distance plus, but theres another thread going in the oilfilter section where many ppl are saying its just a rebadged pure1, i have my doubts about that tho

It obvious by eyeing the construction the new BOSCH stock is < puR-O-Lator >, but I'm wondering if the Filtec(tm) media is a differing spec material than the Pure One. If I ran one I would check into it further ...

Originally Posted By: HBCALI

So does everyone tend to agree - Bosch has a better product than Fram (silver can)
thumbsup2.gif

Yes ... go Bosch in this case.

IF the FRAM was the Extended Guard (XG series), then it would be OK.

Originally Posted By: kcfx4
Im a fan of bosch distance plus, but theres another thread going in the oilfilter section where many ppl are saying its just a rebadged pure1, i have my doubts about that tho

It's not a re-badged PureOne. There are a bunch of differences.

Originally Posted By: sangyup81
Sale at my local auto parts store. 5 Quarts QS Ultimate Durability and a Fram Extra Guard 6X filter for $26. Pretty good deal.

Question: I can exchange the Fram Filter for a Bosch Premium Filter. Anyone have an opinion on which filter I should go with? 2001 Accord with an average 6000 mile OCI. Thanks.

My mistake. It's a Fram "Tough Guard" 6X (the silver one). It seems Bosch is preferred so far...
21.gif

Maybe because you told them it was the orange can of death instead of the tough guard

The TG is an OCOD with a silicone ADBV. Whoopie!

Now the XTENDEDGUARD is a good looking filter.

Sale at my local auto parts store. 5 Quarts QS Ultimate Durability and a Fram Extra Guard 6X filter for $26. Pretty good deal.

Question: I can exchange the Fram Filter for a Bosch Premium Filter. Anyone have an opinion on which filter I should go with?
As said, the 6X(better) filter is the Tough Guard not a 3X Extra Guard orange can.

If you can choose the Bosch Prem, I'd go with that over either Fram, it's a P1 clone without texture.*

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: kcfx4

It's not a re-badged PureOne. There are a bunch of differences.
+1000, as I explained on that thread at least twice.

*r_r filter tests

Last edited:
The Tough Guard i cut open was a little more than a OCOD with a silicone valve.

It had a much tougher canister design, with a screen over bypass valve and the media is better.

But it still has that cardboard endcaps which reduce flow and can be glued poorly.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

But it still has that cardboard endcaps which reduce flow and can be glued poorly.

I don't think end caps being made from cardboard would reduce oil flow. I just don't like them because they can deform or come loose from the pleats and potentially cause other problems.

The endcaps being cardboard doesn't inherently make the flow poor but how close they are to the can leaves such a small gap compared to metal that it DOES impact flow.

I believe its been discussed by dissecting part of the filter and looking at the gaps to see how much it really is going to be reduced.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The endcaps being cardboard doesn't inherently make the flow poor but how close they are to the can leaves such a small gap compared to metal that it DOES impact flow.

I believe its been discussed by dissecting part of the filter and looking at the gaps to see how much it really is going to be reduced.

The gap between the end caps and the can was discussed in another thread not too long ago. On a filter with ~ 3" dia, if the gap was only 1/16" then the total flow area would be about equal to the center hole in the base plate. You'd have to run the numbers to see it. Just looking at it is deceiving and ya, it looks choked but it really isn't.

The TG is designed similar to many of the OEM filters like Honda an Subaru. The OEM's don't have the screen over bypass, but add a P type gasket to the base.

I prefer a metal endcap design of a P1, but I don't question the flow the TG or the OEM,s. Don't think Honda or Subaru would risk their engines using a poor flowing oil filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back