Fram Orange Can of Death vs. Purolator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

So Mopars have 70~80 PSI of oil pressure at idle with hot oil? I'm not talking about "computer controlled" oil pumps, etc ... just old fashioned positive displacement oil pumps.

My 2008 4.7 hits the pressure regulator at about 1800 RPM on 0w20 oil- about 70 PSI. At idle, the pressure is of course less- about 25 PSI when hot. My Hemi runs lower pressure- 60 PSI max once the oil is hot, but it too reaches that pressure at about 1500-1800 RPM on 0w40. At idle it runs about 30 PSI, meaning that it has a higher volume supply pump AND a bigger relief valve flow than the 4.7 does. The whole design philosophy (I assume... I didn't design these engines) is a fixed oil supply that is nearly RPM-independent for assured lubrication under all conditions. The Pentastar takes it a step further by putting the computer in the loop to avoid the even the small amount of power wasted by the excess oil flow out of the relief valve.

But even with all that, there are complicating factors. The relief valve isn't a hard limit on pressure- it just puts a very sharp knee in the RPM/pressure curve, so the pressure rises very fast from idle to 1800 RPM, then only swells another 10 psi or so between 1800 RPM and redline.

The only thing idle oil pressure should be used to diagnose is an oil pump producing less than the minimum required flow, OR bearing clearances requiring excess flow in order to reach operating pressure. Apples to apples comparisons of how the oil affects pressure OR how the filter affects pressure can ONLY be made at a fully warmed-up state, and at an RPM above which the pressure relief valve opens.

Again, if the oil pressure gauge is down stream of the oil filter, you will never see the effect of the filter's delat-p on the engine's oil pressure gauge - unless the oil pump is in pressure relief. You would have to place the oil pressure gauge before the oil filter to see the filter's effective flow resistance.

This is EXACTLY the point. At cruise speed on a 4.7, he's in pressure relief by design. Constant pressure into the filter (at normal operating RPM the pressure relief valve is open), minus the filter delta-P = reading on gauge changes by a combination the filter delta-P AND the oil viscosity affecting how fast it vents out of the clearances. You cannot separate one effect from the other without changing ONLY the filter or ONLY the oil, and you CANNOT say "you can't see the filter delta-P at all."

Put another way- I agree that the only way to truly and accurately measure the filter's delta-P is with a gauge before and a gauge after. But in the 4.7 application, the delta-P is a COMPONENT of the total change seen on the pressure gauge when you put in both a new filter and new oil, because the supply pressure (the relief valve) must equal the filter delta-P plus the back-pressure from the bearing clearances (which is what the gauge reads). INcrease the filter delta-P, and the gauge pressure will drop- just do the math. The REASON it drops is that higher filter delta-P causes a slight decrease in total flow. Its exactly like calculating the voltage between two resistors in series in an electrical circuit. Increase the resistor nearer the voltage source, and the voltage between the two resistors decreases because the current (analogous to oil flow) decreases slightly.

The key point is that we're not talking 50's-DNA Chevy or AMC that runs below relief pressure all the time, we're talking an essentially constant PRESSURE supply (above fast idle, anyway) in a modern Mopar 4.7. This is why the only meaningful comparison is hot oil at operating RPM so that the pressure relief valve is open- and even then you should really look at exactly the same RPM since the relief valve isn't a perfect limit on pressure.

^^^ Ok, I got ya now ... we're on the same page. Didn't know Morpas basically ran a "constant pressure" oil pump, which is what it essentially is if the pressure relief valve is open and keeping the pump's outlet pressure virtually constant all the time.

So the OP says has a 2002 Dodge with the 4.7L ... was that the same design philology even back in 2002?

^^^ Ok, I got ya now ... we're on the same page. Didn't know Morpas basically ran a "constant pressure" oil pump, which is what it essentially is if the pressure relief valve is open and keeping the pump's outlet pressure virtually constant all the time.

So the OP says has a 2002 Dodge with the 4.7L ... was that the same design philology even back in 2002?

Well, its a "quasi" constant system, I'd say. As far as when it has been used... my 60s and 70s Mopar V8s are very similar to this, although they don't hit full pressure till more like 3000 RPM (but remember- that was still highway cruise speed back then because they didn't have O/D). What's funny is that the 1990s "Magnum" v8s acted a lot more like a Chevy. They had through-the-pushrod top end oiling and stud-mounted rockers derived from the AMC v8 engines, and run significantly lower oil pressure (and generally less often into the relief valve) than earlier or later Mopar v8s. The downside to spending a lot of time on the relief valve is wasted energy raising a larger volume of oil to full pressure, and the Pentastar brought out the variable-displacement oil pump to fix that issue. When the engine is warm and at light load/light RPM, oil pressure is limited to 40 PSI and hardly varies at all between 1500 RPM and 4000 RPM. But depending on RPM and load, it can jump back to 80+ in an instant if needed.

Wow...

Never thought my posted question would turn into a technical bulletin!

Thanks for all the info. Ya gotta love BITOG.

sick.gif

GL

Things can get out of hand pretty quick around here
Some people will help and some like to share too much

No one puts a gun to anyone's head and makes them read threads.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
What's the Purolator part number?
Those beginning with numerals other than "1" don't seem to have the media failures that are seen in some.
I've seen no reports on the Classic L10111. SO I'm going to keep using them. The PL10111 has had a failure but there is nothing but anecdotal evidence going on here. There are not tens or hundreds of thousands of these (or millions), as another has said, no one is dying from this. It WILL be interesting to see, going forward, how many more Puros fail, and what lot, factory and year they're from. Based on what I've read, there was a bad batch of media paper, or some other defect that may well have passed out of circulation, because the filters in that batch have been used up.

I'm installing a Classic L10111 today and I'll run for 3K, cut open, photograph and report on what I find. I always do 3k OCI because, as I said in another thread, I'm old and stubborn. When I drove unfiltered VWs (with just the sump screen), I changed the oil every ***1000*** miles. So for me, a 3K OCI is the lap of luxury.

Originally Posted By: telecat
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
What's the Purolator part number?
Those beginning with numerals other than "1" don't seem to have the media failures that are seen in some.
I've seen no reports on the Classic L10111. SO I'm going to keep using them. The PL10111 has had a failure but there is nothing but anecdotal evidence going on here. There are not tens or hundreds of thousands of these (or millions), as another has said, no one is dying from this. It WILL be interesting to see, going forward, how many more Puros fail, and what lot, factory and year they're from. Based on what I've read, there was a bad batch of media paper, or some other defect that may well have passed out of circulation, because the filters in that batch have been used up.

I'm installing a Classic L10111 today and I'll run for 3K, cut open, photograph and report on what I find. I always do 3k OCI because, as I said in another thread, I'm old and stubborn. When I drove unfiltered VWs (with just the sump screen), I changed the oil every ***1000*** miles. So for me, a 3K OCI is the lap of luxury.

How is it anecdotal when there are pictures as proof? By the way, I think running them 3k would probably be safe... the majority I've seen have been with around 5,000 miles of use (or more).

It WILL be interesting to see, going forward, how many more Puros fail, and what lot, factory and year they're from. Based on what I've read, there was a bad batch of media paper, or some other defect that may well have passed out of circulation, because the filters in that batch have been used up.

Got a link to that info?

[Based on what I've read, there was a bad batch of media paper, or some other defect that may well have passed out of circulation, because the filters in that batch have been used up.

Oh my word that was one big batch of defective paper, seeing as the filter tears documented hear cover a span of over 3 years.

Lets take this Purolator scandal to the next level: Mission Impossible: Get into Puro engineering by lowering yourself into the laser-crossed alarm room (yeah, of course they have that). (Watch T. Cruise do it a few times in the movies in case you forgot how.) Now find the files on this scandal by hacking in 24-style (you might need Chloe's help). Use the flashlight mounted on your head to find your way out.

Based on what I've read, there was a bad batch of media paper, or some other defect that may well have passed out of circulation, because the filters in that batch have been used up.

Isn't that pretty anecdotal? ... or maybe more along the lines of just plain hearsay.

anecdote: a short story about an interesting or funny event or occurrence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back