Ford rolls last 4.6 off the assembly line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ryan
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
The Ford guys are feeling what we Mopar guys did when the last 318 and 360 rolled off the line in the late 90s and 2003, respectively.

But I won't argue that the replacements have been even better. People lamented the loss of the 302 when the 4.6 replaced it, but now the 4.6 is held in even higher esteem.

With regard to the patrol car side of the equation- the Panther *is* proving very difficult to replace. No 4-door sedans today have the same payload ratings. By the time you load a Charger or Chevy SS up with all the required gear plus 2 officers and reserve enough for a couple of perps in the back seat, its maxed out. So we have Explorers replacing CVPIs in a lot of areas. My mind rebels at the sight of the old 'Police Interceptor' script on the back of an Explorer. :-/

Surprisingly I have not had any problems with my 2012 R/T Charger. It does a lot better than the Crown Vics I have driven in the past. Our agency wants to get more of the Tahoes because the gas mileage is actually about the same as what the Chargers get, but due to public perception of us driving big SUVs, we won't be getting any of them.

Oh, I'm quite sure that the Charger could do the job problem-free, in the real world its a great vehicle... its just the conservative payload rating on the paperwork is causing the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back