Ford Super Duty Struck By Lightning (Entire Cab Disappears)

It makes no difference whether the truck was constructed of aluminum alloy or steel. There are all sorts of plastic bits underneath modern vehicles. The interiors are loaded with plastic. Just a Ford bashing post.

It makes no difference whether the truck was constructed of aluminum alloy or steel. There are all sorts of plastic bits underneath modern vehicles. The interiors are loaded with plastic. Just a Ford bashing post.

The difference is, if it were constructed of steel, it would be a total loss with the cab intact. EDIT: Or as intact as you'd expect it to be after a fire, which would basically be some rusted steel and ash.

Might change your mind if you lived in the rust belt......Oh never mind, even aluminum Fords rust.
I lived in the "rust belt" for 38 years. Salt will corrode Aluminum as fast or faster than it will rust steel.

Aluminum constructed car bodies are no salvation for the salt covered roads in the, "rust belt". It's why you will never see a salt truck anywhere near an airport runway or taxiway.

The difference is, if it were constructed of steel, it would be a total loss with the cab intact. EDIT: Or as intact as you'd expect it to be after a fire, which would basically be some rusted steel and ash.
Still a total loss. Again, just a Ford bashing thread.

I lived in the "rust belt" for 38 years. Salt will corrode Aluminum as fast or faster than it will rust steel.

Aluminum constructed car bodies are no salvation for the salt covered roads in the, "rust belt". It's why you will never see a salt truck anywhere near an airport runway or taxiway.
want to see underneath my 20 year old salt belt aluminum car? it’s pristine as can be, steel subframe not quite as nice

let’s not even get started on steel truck cabs (volvo lol)

Last edited:
We had a fleet of them and one started on fire. The frame and powertrain was all that was left. Even the wheels melted into a puddle.

want to see underneath my 20 year old salt belt aluminum car? it’s pristine as can be, steel subframe not quite as nice

let’s not even get started on steel truck cabs (volvo lol)
I am waiting to see a Swiss cheese aluminum body car. I haven’t seen one yet.

You guys are really missing the silver lining. This truck is now a permanent open air vehicle. Maybe with some work it could be a convertible.

Back