Ford rolls last 4.6 off the assembly line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: redhat
Well it's the same with GM getting rid of probably my favorite engine, the good old 3.8.

I personally would have preferred if GM kept the 3.8. Maybe give it VVT, AFM, maybe give it another valve per cylinder? I'd imagine we could easily be up near 285-300HP (turbo or S/C) or 240-250 (N/A). I'd also like to see it mated to a 6-speed automatic. Nice amount of torque... they did it with the GN's and with today's technology, why not.

But hey I'm probably nuts. The 3.5 is decent and I guess the 3.6 DOHC isn't bad. Oh well, I'm just a big 3.8 fan.

The problem with VVT on OHV engines is that you can't alter the intake and exhaust cam separately, and that is popular now. 3 Valve OHV heads are very complex and difficult to make. Have you seen what a multivalve diesel engine looks like?

All the old motors are getting whacked for CAFE ratings. GM killed the 4.3 last year.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DSparks
5.0 is a mod motor...5.4 is same basic thing as 4.6...its the 04 and later 5.4 3v versions that have some issues with the variable cam timing solenoids/phasers and stuck/broke spark plugs....4.6 went 3v in like 09...most all the early ones had spark plug blowing out problems.

Nope, the plug spitters was the 5.4 as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: michaelluscher

May the modular rest in peace, it will be sorely missed

The Modular isn't gone, it has just evolved into bigger versions of itself with the 5.0L and 5.8L variants
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: A_A_G
Although reliable, the 2v 4.6 just wasn't that good at anything. Terrible gas mileage, hp wasnt that great and really lacked the torque of the 5.4. I just hope they continue to build the 4v 5.0 because that is a great engine they have on their hands.

All that being said, I'd get another F150 from the '97-03 era with the 4.6l in a heartbeat. Owned two of them, and never had a lick of trouble with either of them. Got over 20 mpg on freeway runs, pulled everything I ever asked them to (within their ratings).

Still have two engines in the modular family - the 3V 4.6 in my '07 Explorer, and a 3V 5.4 in my '04 F150. The 5.4 in my F150 is merely OK. The 4.6 in the Explorer is wonderful.

Originally Posted By: A_A_G
Although reliable, the 2v 4.6 just wasn't that good at anything. Terrible gas mileage, hp wasnt that great and really lacked the torque of the 5.4. I just hope they continue to build the 4v 5.0 because that is a great engine they have on their hands.

The 2V 4.6L was a square engine, and one of the smoothest running engines I had the pleasure of driving. That being said, I wouldn't diss it for getting "terrible" gas mileage. I average about 23-25 MPG with mine, and on long tripss, I've even got up to 31 MPG with a 2.73 rear end on my then '03 Grand Marquis. Not bad at all for a 4,000 full size sedan with body on frame construction!

It was the bean counters that ruined this engine at one point with them nylon timing chain tensioners and those [censored] spark plug threads.

I'll call it engine evolution. As CAFE regulations continue to clamp down on the automakers engines will evolve even faster. Hopefully the evolution process is an improvement. I remember a few products that evolved that weren't so great, others were quantum leaps ahead.

Originally Posted By: pbm
The Ford 4.6 was a great motor.
The straight 6... 4.9 was another awesome Ford motor.

I'd like to see a new 300 inline 6. All aluminum with single turbo. Never going to happen but it would be a beast in an F150.

Originally Posted By: hatt

I'd like to see a new 300 inline 6. All aluminum with single turbo. Never going to happen but it would be a beast in an F150.

THAT would be awesome! I'd like to build a turbo 300 some day...

I owned one 4.6 and it was in a 96 Merc GM. I got about 25-26 MPG hyw and 19 town. Very reliable with few problems. I did replace the intake man before it cracked. The power was fine as well. Great engine.

Last edited:
The 4.6 is one the best engines, I have ever owned. I have the 32 valve Intec in my wife's Lincoln Continental and it runs so smooth and is very powerful. Our 07 Ford F-150 has a 175,000 miles on it, runs Great. I just changed the spark plugs, first time, they looked new, which tells me, they are getting no oil. It doesn't use a drop between changes. Our company got new Ford F-150's with the 3.7 V6's and they are terrible compared to the 4.6 trucks. High HP, but no torque. Worse gas mileage. I plan on buying up at least one of the 2010's when they sell them off.

I've got a Mark VIII with the 4.6/32 valve engine. This engine predates the 4.6/32 valve applications that were put into the Mustangs. An excellent engine.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

Ford still has a 4.0L inline 6 turbo in Australia. You can get them in the Falcon range. The FPV version has almost as much power as the BOSS 335.

http://www.fpv.com.au/f6_showroom/f6

So long 4.6 for now, they will prolly bring it back in the near future, it's a ford thing.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: The_Eric

Ford still has a 4.0L inline 6 turbo in Australia. You can get them in the Falcon range. The FPV version has almost as much power as the BOSS 335.

http://www.fpv.com.au/f6_showroom/f6

Nice, I would DD one of those in a heartbeat.

The Ford guys are feeling what we Mopar guys did when the last 318 and 360 rolled off the line in the late 90s and 2003, respectively.

But I won't argue that the replacements have been even better. People lamented the loss of the 302 when the 4.6 replaced it, but now the 4.6 is held in even higher esteem.

With regard to the patrol car side of the equation- the Panther *is* proving very difficult to replace. No 4-door sedans today have the same payload ratings. By the time you load a Charger or Chevy SS up with all the required gear plus 2 officers and reserve enough for a couple of perps in the back seat, its maxed out. So we have Explorers replacing CVPIs in a lot of areas. My mind rebels at the sight of the old 'Police Interceptor' script on the back of an Explorer. :-/

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
The Ford guys are feeling what we Mopar guys did when the last 318 and 360 rolled off the line in the late 90s and 2003, respectively.

But I won't argue that the replacements have been even better. People lamented the loss of the 302 when the 4.6 replaced it, but now the 4.6 is held in even higher esteem.

With regard to the patrol car side of the equation- the Panther *is* proving very difficult to replace. No 4-door sedans today have the same payload ratings. By the time you load a Charger or Chevy SS up with all the required gear plus 2 officers and reserve enough for a couple of perps in the back seat, its maxed out. So we have Explorers replacing CVPIs in a lot of areas. My mind rebels at the sight of the old 'Police Interceptor' script on the back of an Explorer. :-/

Surprisingly I have not had any problems with my 2012 R/T Charger. It does a lot better than the Crown Vics I have driven in the past. Our agency wants to get more of the Tahoes because the gas mileage is actually about the same as what the Chargers get, but due to public perception of us driving big SUVs, we won't be getting any of them.

our local LEO's are now going to the new Taurus and Explorer based interceptors. (It doesn't hurt that the non eco boost motors used in them are built here locally)
as soon as the 'vic went out of production, many bought Chargers (those first gen new chargers, many LEOs put the push bar on the front, but there was no way to mount them to the frame, making them useful, they had to be mounted to the Radiator Supports, which meant they were eye candy only, I believe the newer models 2011+ addressed this weakness)
but most held out and maintained their vics as well as they could.

while I'm not fully up on the various capacities of the new herd of police models, there is one spec that the Fords have, that their competition doesn't. both ford interceptors are built and rated to take and withstand a 70mph rear impact, with little to no intrusion into the passenger cabin.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
The California Highway Patrol is now keeping Crown Vic's much longer than before because they're still evaluating replacements. Evidently they make good patrol cars.

Seeing the Econolines staying in service much longer than in past years on the EMS side, too. Not many equal alternatives (though they did screw the pooch with that 6.0L).

Another 4.6L fan here. In 'stangs, panther platform and the trucks! Still can't believe a 4.6L would tow that stump grinder so readily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back