Ford 6.7 - Should I change out the oil due to age only?

So I have a low mileage 6.7 that doesnt get driven much so the yearly usage is low. I drive it at least once a week and it gets up to operating temp and not short tripped. No long idles at all, maybe 1-2 mins depending on the temperature outside... possibly up to 5mins MAX. I like to change the oil once a year, but Ive had thoughts that I should do it maybe sooner or maybe should I continue the once a year practice? Im running an OEM filter and I run Rotella T6.

Thoughts?

The time based requirements for oil changes seem to exist solely to prevent vehicles from being short-tripped for the entire mileage interval. It's impossible to run a cold engine for over 10,000 km in only 3-6 months, but it is possible to do that over 12+ months, so the time requirement ensures that short-tripped vehicles get their oil changed at lower mileage.

It's not uncommon for oil life monitoring systems to allow over a year between OCIs in the right conditions. I'd keep doing what you're doing, or even extend the OCIs beyond a year.

The time based requirements for oil changes seem to exist solely to prevent vehicles from being short-tripped for the entire mileage interval. It's impossible to run a cold engine for over 10,000 km in only 3-6 months, but it is possible to do that over 12+ months, so the time requirement ensures that short-tripped vehicles get their oil changed at lower mileage.

It's not uncommon for oil life monitoring systems to allow over a year between OCIs in the right conditions. I'd keep doing what you're doing, or even extend the OCIs beyond a year.
I was following the OLM and basing my changes off of that. Its under Premium Care and well doing the OLM route, is following the manual. Now that I think about it, I think it almost ends up being a year based off of the OLM.

About 3k a year. Its a tad over, yes. I guess I could pull a little oil out and test it, but then my luck, Id loose the whole sump when attempting to pull a few oz out lol.
ha ha yeah murphy pops up out of nowhere sometimes. With 3k a year I'd replace at the 2 year mark with 6k on the oil. I just put a hair short of 9,500 miles on Rotella in my 6.0L & it was still good shape posted in the UOA section.

Blackstone labs podcast has repeatedly stated that mileage is what should be followed and not time. Their mantra has been "with today's closed engines (no open breather) its not necessary to change the oil as often as decades past."

That said, if you have a tractor from the 1940s, you better change it out, or at least drain out the massive amount of water that accumulates due to mother nature and its devious methods of creating water from air.

About 3k a year

Its a tad over, yes.

I guess I could pull a little oil out and test it, but then my luck, Id loose the whole sump when attempting to pull a few oz out lol.
Dump it at about 3k miles and roughly 1yr and catch a sample.
Do a tbn test and check yes for "interested in extended oil changes". Be sure to note the age of the oil too.
I would probably change it at 5k and 16 to 24months.
With our gasoline powered pickup we will barely put over 2k on it a year I was just going to change the oil when it hits 5,000 miles it will probably take 2 to 2.5 years if our daily driver cars don't break down.

Back