Ford 4.6 how many use 5w30 instead of 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use PP 5W-30 in both of my Marauders, one because it has a supercharger and the other because it has higher mileage (115k). Although it may be partially the placebo effect, I think the higher-mileage car runs a little quieter with PP 5W-30 versus the M1 and MC 5W-20 that I used in the past.

I put royal purple 5w-20 in my 04 cobra for her first oil change w/me @ 8k miles. I got the oil free from a friend who sold his 04 mach 1. I was impressed with her quieting down so much. I've heard good things about rp. I was until recently a m1 staunch user. I keep hearing gc, gc ow30. So I might try this. MIGHT. I use m1 0w-20 in my '07 5.7 tundra and so far so good.

This is slightly off topic, but I have a Ford 2002 Explorer with the 4.0L V6. It was and is spec'd for 5W-30. I'm currently using Amsoil SSO 0W-30 as it is on the "thinner" side of 30 weight and the 0W means that I'll have good cold flow even at the depths of winter here in NJ.

Rumple

RF Overlords I agree. Redline or PP 5w30 is a great choice for 4V mod motors. Many Mustang guys run 5w30 in 4.6 4V motors regardless of of the year. If I had a charger on mine 5w30 would be the only choice.

I've run M1 5w-30 in my 98 F-150 since new. It currently has over 150K miles. Runs great and burns no oil.

I drive a CV every day on the job. The garage we use to maintain and service our cars uses 15w-40 bulk oil. I've been here 16 years and we've never had an oil related failure with our cruisers.

Originally Posted By: 04Mystichrome
I put royal purple 5w-20 in my 04 cobra for her first oil change w/me @ 8k miles. I got the oil free from a friend who sold his 04 mach 1. I was impressed with her quieting down so much. I've heard good things about rp. I was until recently a m1 staunch user. I keep hearing gc, gc ow30. So I might try this. MIGHT. I use m1 0w-20 in my '07 5.7 tundra and so far so good.

Slightly O/T, but I'd recommend not bothering with the GC in this engine. Although I've used and loved the stuff (and still have about 50 qts left...), it's not the perfect oil for all applications. We have a couple members here who have used it in the Ford 4.6, and found that it just makes the engine feel sluggish (remember, at over 12 cSt, it's almost a 40 wt oil).

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Originally Posted By: TallPaul
I'd like to know how many use 10w30 in their 4.6s.

I'd be willing to bet that more 4.6's run this grade than anything else. 2 reasons:

1. A LOT of 4.6-powered cars are owned/used by some form of a fleet - police, taxi, service vehicle. Cheapness of maintenance is key - and a bulk drum of basic 10W-30 is probably your cheapest option.

2. A LOT of 4.6's are installed in big, old-fashioned 'luxury' cars that are reminders of 1970's cars. In turn, a lot of these cars are owned by older folks, who may be stuck in the '10W-30/10W-40 is best' mentality from that same period.

I'l bet you're right, addyguy!

Well, on my 93 CV I run 10w30 since it burned a quart a month with 5w30 since new. My other two also get 10w30 because that's what the NC Highway Patrol ran on them for the first three years of their lives. Why mess up a good thing?

I would run the 5w20 motorcraft oil in my 98 4.6L f150.

The thing ran like a clock, absolutely perfect motor.

The newer 4.6 motors are even better.

My wife's '97 Expedition (which called for 5w30) had 5w20 in it when we sold it. If I had not stashed so much 5w30, I would have run 5w20 in it exclusively.

I have an older 4.6, since it's in my 1994 Thunderbird, but I have to say that this engine was originally spec'd for 10W-30, as stated in my official 1994 Ford Thunderbird shop manual. By the time my car's owner's manual was printed (about eight months after the shop manual was printed), the spec was changed to 5W-30. I've used 5W-30 throughout the life of my engine, except for trying 5W-20 for a couple OCIs last year. I noticed no difference whatsoever, so I'm back to using 5W-30. One thing's for sure...you have nothing to worry about in using a 5W-30 oil in your engine.

I've put in BOTH 5w30 / 5w20 in the 96' 4.6 Crown Vic now for the last 3 years, and haven't had any problem during both winter / summer months.

The difference between weights of these too oils has been debated about / worried about waaaaay too much on this forum. Now if we were talking about a 15w50,or 20w50 but I'll never understand why people on this forum worry so much about the slight difference
spankme2.gif

5W40 RTS in my 99 F250 with a 5.4 . Original spec is 5w30. But, the only thing it does is tow duty for my travel trailer. 135,000 on the clock, runs like new.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
remote filter on the 99?

Yea, remote filter, mounted vertically up behind the front bumper support.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Originally Posted By: 04Mystichrome

Slightly O/T, but I'd recommend not bothering with the GC in this engine. Although I've used and loved the stuff (and still have about 50 qts left...), it's not the perfect oil for all applications. We have a couple members here who have used it in the Ford 4.6, and found that it just makes the engine feel sluggish (remember, at over 12 cSt, it's almost a 40 wt oil).

Good to know-Sluggish is not on my list, and sluggish means everything is working harder. GC is out the door like the commercial with the progressive lady saying about the ins. joke"there it goes" 2004 Ford 4.6 dual overhead cams s/c calls for 5w-20. Whether or not it's for the mpg, the stuff just seems to run quieter on it and quicker response. The previous owner also provided the service records and the oil changes he did was 5w-30. Now after changing to the recommended 5w-20 and in synthetic at 8k miles she purrs like a kitten. Next change maybe 0w-20 I just like the stuff

I use 5w30 with the MC 820 filter. Have used it now on 2 OCI. Doesn't seem sluggish even in the coldest temps here, then again we are like Alaska cold either. No odd sounds starting in cold temps either.

I just keep to 5w30 because I know thats what its had for its service life. The guy I bought the cruiser from did the work on the department's cars. "5w30 every 3000, stick to it and the engine will outlive the body", are his words. Its easier to find 5w30 in my local stores as well, 5w20 seems to be available only in the more expensive brands. And I can't see paying more for the oil on an engine with 106K police miles, and 7,000 of my driving.

My '99 F150 with the 4.6 gets a steady diet of dino 5w30 oils in varying flavors. I've also runs 5w20 oils (ran fine, no issues, but harder to find cheap deals) and 5w40 (made the truck feel sluggish and cut fuel mileage well over 5%). Oil filters are usually a Napa Gold or Wix.

After 174,000 miles, it still runs like a champ. 5w30 was the original spec on the truck.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
I'd like to know how many use 10w30 in their 4.6s.

I used to, back before I knew better. It had some really hard winter starts, and I actually saw metal flakes in the oil the next time I changed it.

Originally Posted By: Fordiesel69
Oh, and BTW, use ONLY filters that have the ADV in the base (near the threaded part) and also it needs to be silicone, not rubber nitrile.

You're thinking of the bypass valve position. The Motorcraft filter has the bypass in the opposite end that most other filters use. The ADBV (Anti Drain Back Valve) is on the base end in every filter I have ever seen. But, yes, a silicone ADBV is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back