For 1 year oil changes-when would you change oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a lot of oils out there now advertising one year changes.

My question is would there be an optimal time to change the oil?

1. Spring
2. Summer
3. Fall
4. Winter
5. It doesn't matter

Logic tells me Fall might be the best. The TBN is high for the upcoming winter colder weather abuse.

Knowing "me" though, I might pick summer because it is warm and "easy" to change the oil then - trying to work in the cold sucks ... but I'm a wimp when it comes to the cold too
wink.gif

Thoughts?

Originally Posted By: TheOak
Late fall is definitely the resounding theme here.

Thanks all ...
I should had added above... Winter is the harshest on an oil so you want your TBN to be high and your TAN to be low. Fresh oil ensures optimal conditions to deal with winter conditions and offers the best protection. All the other seasons are relatively easy on oil.

The ideal time would be at either Solstice (or para-Solstice - coldest/hottest). Then you distrbute the more severe seasons equally. Most of the people saying late Fall are in a 4 season climate ..and probably do not own a heated garage. That's what makes the 6month OCI the most doable in the 4 season climate. One gets the winter ..one the summer ...and the oil changer isn't sweating or freezing.

The hardest season on the oil is winter. The easiest in my climate is summer and fall.

If you're going to do it once a year it makes sense in my mind to do it in the spring.

This way the highest risk time of fuel dilution (viscosity killing) and condensation (TBN killing) - winter, happens at the end of the OCI, and with fresh oil in the sump, you don't run all spring summer and fall with the oil in that condition.

Just my own opinion.

Do it 2x a year and enjoy the benefits of fresher oil year round for minimal extra cost and time.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: TheOak
Late fall is definitely the resounding theme here.

Thanks all ...
I should had added above... Winter is the harshest on an oil so you want your TBN to be high and your TAN to be low. Fresh oil ensures optimal conditions to deal with winter conditions and offers the best protection. All the other seasons are relatively easy on oil.

What is this "winter" thing you guys are talking about? I don't understand...please explain...

Another vote for late fall if I were doing 12 month OCI's. My Dad back home does his 6 month OCI's in December and June.

AD

Hi,
TheOak - For what it's worth one Manufacturer, Porsche, states this:

"If your vehicle is used infrequently in stop-and-go traffic in Winter, the engine will not always be properly warmed up. Condensates from the product of combustion may accumulate in the oil. In this case, it is advisable to change the oil in the SPRING so that your engine once again has a 100% efficient engine oil"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back