foggin oil question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
what does this actually do. i put it in my cylinders before storage and my car has been sitting for exactly 1 month today. so today i go open the spark plugs i had this little pump to get the fogging oil out since i put a good amount in the cylinders. if i recall seeing correctly i saw a good layer floating on the pistons. NOw its all gone. WHere did it go? could it possibly seep through the pistons and mix with my oil? if so how bad can it be? becaue im planing on storing the car untill march. But i plan to start it up every 2 weeks from now.

I would think that the "fogging" process would involve having the running engine suck it in for a short bit and then you shut the engine down with the oil still being vacuumed? I've simply taken a light oil and put a few table spoons in each cylinder through the spark plug hole and then turned the engine over a few times to lubricate/coat the cylinder walls - hoping to prevent rust formation and potential ring seizure over the storage period (this was with motorcycles). Ironically enough, for the yard equipment, I just add fuel stabilizer, run the engine for a short bit to get it through the system, and then put it away for the winter.

I would imagine the oil that you put in has seeped/leaked past the rings - gravity, trapped air pressure changes via ambient temp and atmospheric pressure relationships...and of course the ring end gaps. The oil now resides in the sump. Perhaps some lighter volatile components evaporated out the intake/exhaust - some "fogging" oils like Seafoam contain alcohols/other along with that which you or I might more commonly consider an oil/lubricant. I have a hard time thinking of gasoline as a lubricant, but in some regards it is.

Take care and happy holidays!

Pump out fogging oil? That's a first.

Certainly you don't need to fog the cylinders so much they fill with liquid oil. Especially even doubt the need for fogging oil for 1 month storage. Of course the liquid carrier will drain into the sump or evaporate off. It won't hurt the oil in small quantities.

If you plan on starting and driving the car every two weeks, then no need for the fogging oil. If you plan on just starting the car and allowing it to idle, I think this is a bad idea. Block it, fog and lube everything. Disconnect battery and get a good trickle charger.

Forgot to add - if you are indeed going to start it up every few weeks, make sure you get the engine oil up to running temp for a while so as to boil off condensate/water deposits from combustion, otherwise I think you aren't doing much good outside of putting a light charge (hopefully), into the battery and getting a feel the machine again as it amazingly does it's well orchestrated thing.

I'd probably just keep the battery on a trickle charger (in/out of the vehicle), and make sure you make it hard for rodents to take up residence. Add stabilizer to the fuel also prior to letting the engine take a vacation.

You sure don't want to fog an engine through the air intake before th MAF sensor. I fog my outboard motors but, never a car engine. One month storage? no reason to be concerned. I would remove spark plugs and put one teaspoon of oil in each cylinder as said before and turn over (not start)2 complete revolutions. This I would do if storing over 5-6 months.

i dont need to know how to store. i am storing car for 3 months but i fogged the engine since i was told its a good idea. now the oil is gone and its probably in the crank case. What i need to know f it will hurt anything. I plan on changing the oil right after storage anyway. so will the fogging oil in the crank hurt anything??

Originally Posted By: Bulli
so will the fogging oil in the crank hurt anything??

Did you read my response?

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Of course the liquid carrier will drain into the sump or evaporate off. It won't hurt the oil in small quantities.

yes i read it thanks. started the car just a couple mins ago. Let it idle for about 20 minutes. at 7 minutes i heard that suddenly the injectors got louder. or maybe valves but i think injectors. i put on the heater for a while and ran the ac for a while. The fan turned on about 3 times to cool the engine so i know it reached its optimal running temp. I played with the gearbox also. put it into reverse, drive, and thought all the d1,d2 gears. then i took it around the block just cruzing slowly. Put it back int he garag. unhooked battery its at home. i trickle charge it every couple of days.

-ps. car started fine. so im happy. at first there was this funny smell. Kind of like cherrys/strawberries. But that could be the fogging oil or sta-bil fuel stabilizer.
i plan do drive the car again when ever the weather is nicer or when there is no rain or snow.. there was some rain today so i just went for a quick drive so the tires wont get flat spots.

Fogging is used when an engine is idle for 2+ months. It should do no harm when mixed with your regular engine oil. The quantity of fogging oil is far too small in comparison to make much of a difference.

I used no fogging oil and my engine was idle for about 2 months. Engine was very hard to start (older engine). Battery was weak as well. So after charging battery it eventually started and next day started after 1 sec. I intened to run it once per month, except we had too much snow and very cold temps.

So don't worry about little bit of fogging oil dropping into sump. No big deal. Worry more about battery.

Honestly, and not trying to sound like a hypocrite, but since you already have stabilizer in the fuel and have run it through the system, have fogged the cylinders which many may say isn't necessary (but we like to take care of our equipment, I understand), have the battery disconnected and on a trickle charger...I would just let it sit. Perhaps support the frame to get weight off the tires to help prevent flat spots and rot of the tread (long term). People have said that just shifting the tranny through the gears creates wear, but that's just a side effect of it functioning properly. If need not be used, then let it sit.

Beyond recirculating fluid and re-coating the mechanical components with lubricant and drying of condensation on the metal structure, I see no benefits in the form of preservative efforts in starting up the vehicle. My G.Mother's '77 chevy that I was last to own till '99 was in good working order except for the underbody rust that included fuel, brake and tranny lines, brakes, cables and tires as it was parked in a dirt floor garage. The engine cylinders had a a good ridge at something like 15k miles though still ran well for what it was, as the vehicle was only used as a grocery getter down the road and an occasional trip to camp - all and all, I wouldn't think it ran longer than 1 hour at a time over all the years she owned it. She went to here local garage/gas station for service.

That said, I think there are many things that we needlessly worry about and do for the sake of finding peace of mind. I'm no exception either. Let it be and enjoy the season and those around you.

Have a safe and happy holiday season!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back