Focus died, need a vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2000 Focus with the SOHC engine just dropped a vale and is kaput. Got 185,000 out of her so I am not too disappointed. I am looking for reliable transport in the $10 to $14 range. Ideally it would be a small truck, Toyota Tacoma or Ford Ranger. I also am open to something like a Crown Vic as I have seen some lower mileage examples in my price range. MPG is not a huge concern as I don't drive much since I retired. Reliability is the primary criterion.

The Crown Vics are quite reliable and built like tanks. No issue with parts availability due to the sheer quantity of taxis/limos/cop cars.

I would get the best Corolla or Camry you can afford. You will get more than 187K miles out of a Toyota. Do you need to carry stuff? Why the truck desire?

Or I went out looking for a used diesel pickup and found one for $7500. The engine will go for 500K miles at least. Body??

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Autografe
My 2000 Focus with the SOHC engine just dropped a vale and is kaput. Got 185,000 out of her so I am not too disappointed. I am looking for reliable transport in the $10 to $14 range. Ideally it would be a small truck, Toyota Tacoma or Ford Ranger. I also am open to something like a Crown Vic as I have seen some lower mileage examples in my price range. MPG is not a huge concern as I don't drive much since I retired. Reliability is the primary criterion.

Why not swap in a junkyard motor and keep driving?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Autografe
I am looking for reliable transport in the $10 to $14 range.

Bus pass?

Originally Posted By: dparm
The Crown Vics are quite reliable and built like tanks. No issue with parts availability due to the sheer quantity of taxis/limos/cop cars.

+1 Plus a lot of police auctions sell their older vehicles for a steal. Souped up versus the traditional vic and as mentioned above, parts are wicked easy to find.

if you still like the focus any of the newer ones with a duratech 2.0 is a huge upgrade off the earlier ones.

Originally Posted By: Pajamarama
$10 to $14 won't buy you much of a car. I assume you forgot to add "k" on the end?

It might buy a Chrysler "K car." *snicker*

$10 to $14 won't buy you much of a car.

Actually a friend checked out a babied 2007 Crown Vic LX in excellent shape with only 22K miles for 10K bucks the other day at Miami Lakes Auto Mall in my neck of the woods.

Are you always going to only haul yourself + 1? If not, a Ranger/Tacoma should be out. You could aim for a Sport Trac -- which is the best of all worlds.

What's the 09 Focus in your signature?

How long did you drive with the dropped valve? Unless you drove it for a long time, you can probably swap on a new head.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
What's the 09 Focus in your signature?

How long did you drive with the dropped valve? Unless you drove it for a long time, you can probably swap on a new head.

sig is 2000 focus.

Yes I meant $10,000 to $14,000. The 2009 in my signature is my motorcycle. I would like a truck because I do need to carry some things some time and my 77 F-150 died sometime back. I thought about fixing the car but as I am no longer capable of doing the work my self it isn't economically feasible. The Crown Vic appeals because of the big trunk and with a hitch I can manage a small trailer. But in the end I just want the most dependable vehicle I can afford. Like I said MPG is just not that big a consideration.

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
$10 to $14 won't buy you much of a car. I assume you forgot to add "k" on the end?

It might buy a Chrysler "K car." *snicker*

Well,if you do buy a K car,at least its been around and survived longer than any Focus.Made only 1981-1989.

Going from the Focus to a Ranger or other small truck you won't be pleased. I've had both. In my case the Focus rides like a luxury car and the Ranger rode like a box car. If you have smooth rodes around you go for it! This may not be problem for some though.. I have perhaps the roughest commute going over 670. If mine ever dies I'm going with a Pruis or Corolla, but I will say the Focus rides better than a coworkers 09 and parents 08 Corolla. Not the case with my coworkers 2012 Corolla.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back