Flying question: baggage

Any time I’ve flown an inch or two has not gotten anyone stopped. At most the bag gets gate checked. I wouldn’t be too stressed about it.

We were traveling as a group of 5 and always carry a bag weighing scale.
Ahh, nothing like having to curl a 50lb bag from a handheld scale. I have a mechanical one so the needle bounces a lot, pretty inaccurate. I try standing on a regular digital scale to see the difference between my weight and me holding the bag. That seems more accurate though unwieldly.

Unless you really need to go max weight, just under pack by a 3lb margin to be safe.

I personally do not use a carryon even if it's a short flight because it's a PITA to wrestle with other people's luggage, find overheads space if you're last on the plane, and have to do acrobatics with an overhead suitcase. It's just a liability to me, bonking someone on the had with a suitcase, which is one of the reason I do not use the aisle seat because of the risk of falling bags.

The few times I've took a carry on past the TSA I was lucky enough to have it checked by the boarding agent.

I bring a laptop bag or backpack with the essentials, that's enough for me.

Ahh, nothing like having to curl a 50lb bag from a handheld scale.
I have a small digital scale, which has a strap that you're supposed to attach to the bag's handle and let it hang, so it's more of a guess than an accurate measurement. But each time I've used it, I've been relieved to discover I was nowhere near the 50-pound limit. I suppose you'd have to jam a bunch of really heavy stuff in a bag in order to flirt with the weight limit.

Wife and daughter have a trip coming up, flying to Italy and France. One of the suitcases is a bit over the 14” limit, but under the 22” height limit by at least an inch. I have not flown in 15 years and have no idea why she is asking me, but I know where I can ask. :)

It’s 1.5cm over the limit in width, apparently. She’s not sure if they pull out the tape measure or just eyeball it.
Depends on the airline. Some will make sure the size and weight meet the limit requirements.

With a bag that close I’d take it and if they balk gate check it. I would not run out and buy luggage for this kind of trip unless she becomes a regular traveler. If she does an upper end bag is better

I have a small digital scale, which has a strap that you're supposed to attach to the bag's handle and let it hang, so it's more of a guess than an accurate measurement. But each time I've used it, I've been relieved to discover I was nowhere near the 50-pound limit. I suppose you'd have to jam a bunch of really heavy stuff in a bag in order to flirt with the weight limit.
We have a digital scale with a strap too. We were all repacking our bags in the middle of the trip (having spent several days in Amsterdam) so we needed a new measurement.

Several of our group's carry on bags would have been over the airline's limit. After repacking, we all went with barely under the maximum allowed and our carry on bags were accepted.

This was a discount airline (which had very very cheap fares) and I think they counted on a lot of revenue from "your carry-on is over the weight limit, that'll be $75 to check it please". If I recall correctly, the airfare was not much more than that, and the weight limit for carry on bags was pretty skimpy too.

That's my complaint too. On some flights it seems everyone else is trying to bend the carry-on rules in their favor.

Any time I’ve flown an inch or two has not gotten anyone stopped. At most the bag gets gate checked. I wouldn’t be too stressed about it.
It’s not about “getting stopped”

It’s about the bag fitting properly in the overhead.

A bag that is an inch or two too long, has to be rotated to fit, and takes up twice as much room, because it’s too long. That’s the rule bender - the selfish jerk who takes up twice as much room and leaves other people without options. See the first post above.

Lots of people engage in selfish, and self-serving, behavior without regard to anyone else around them.

Flight attendants hate people with slightly oversized bags, because it makes their life harder. Frequent flyers hate people with slightly oversize bags, because they are presumptuous and selfish. And the poor person who can’t get their bag in the overhead bin because somebody else’s bag is taking up two spaces, probably hates them too.

Don’t be that person, the world has enough self-centered, jerks. Get a bag that fits, properly, so you’re not burdening everyone else.

Last edited:
I’ve never understood why people have ultra big bags and they are fumbling trying to get bag to fit.

Some people pack bags like if they are going to be camping in Alaska for 3 months.

Why ????
:( 😤🤬😤

I have never, ever had anyone force me or a family member to size up carry on that was close enough.

That being said, the common 22" carryon likely has that plus the wheels where it's 23" long. My wife likes her Samsonite "carry on" that actually measures 24" and I have never seen it denied as a carry on. That being said, we never flew with carry on with Frontier or Spirit.

If it's denied as a carry on, it might be considered for all sorts of things including gate checking for free or for a fee if they think it's over the size limits. I remember flying United once where we were late and it was gate checking all carry on. I've also been in line where I missed that they were asking for volunteers to gate check, but in the end they let me on with my carry on because they had so many volunteers.

Another thing to think about is the size limits may be different when boarding in the US or in other countries - possibly with the same airline. This is just an example, but China Eastern (which I've flown on) has smaller sizes for Chinese domestic, but seem to use more American sizes for all their international flights.

Astro is right on.

This is a huge problem since airlines started charging for checked bags, people are pushing it to an idiotic level and i wouldn't be at all surprised if some one decided to make people test the bags in the little cage, particularly if the flight is full.

On one flight last year the gate agent actually pointed at one lady bag and said "you've got to be kidding me"...

Also, to varying degrees getting through TSA with carry on is a pain, i usually check the bags and only carry a backpack with the electronics and a change of clothes on the plane.

It’s not about “getting stopped”

It’s about the bag fitting properly in the overhead.

A bag that is an inch or two two long, has to be rotated to fit, and takes up twice as much room, because it’s too long. That’s the rule bender - the selfish jerk who takes up twice as much room and leaves other people without options. See the first post above.

Lots of people engage in selfish, and self-serving, behavior without regard to anyone else around them.

Flight attendants hate people with slightly oversized bags, because it makes their life harder. Frequent flyers hate people with slightly oversize bags, because they are presumptuous and selfish. And the poor person who can’t get their bag in the overhead bin because somebody else’s bag is taking up two spaces, probably hates them too.

Don’t be that person, the world has enough self-centered, jerks. Get a bag that fits, properly, so you’re not burdening everyone else.

I've never seen an overhead bin that was precisely sized for that airline's carry-on length. I remember when Alaska Airlines shrunk its carry-on size limit from 24"x17"x10" down to 22"x14"x19", their rationale was that they were getting complaints from passengers who then transferred to other airlines, but their equipment was still fine with the larger size.

That being said, I try to stay within the limits. However, I've seen what I knew to be a 24" long carry-on fit wheels out into the overhead bin of an airline with a 22" limit. Nobody seemed to care as long at it didn't disrupt the flight.

United will gate check your carry on bag for free. They often ask for volunteers.

Carry on is 22x14x9. Period.

If your bag is bigger, then it’s not a carry on, and you have fallen for the empty promises of a luggage salesman.

Add an inch or two, and it won’t fit the bins on some airplanes. Airplanes vary, but older ones have very tight bins, while newer ones, like the 737 MAX have capacious bins. If you’re on a MAX with your big bag, no worries.

Because of this, TSA won’t stop you. Neither will the gate agent. Not their job.

But on that other airplane, the one with the smaller bins, everyone around you will know you’re the jerk. Particularly the flight attendants, who have a name for people like that, and I can’t use it on BITOG.

By the way, here is the professional’s preference, not cheap, and it’s heavy, but it will last a long, long time.

And fit into every overhead bin.

Last edited:
Astro is right on.

This is a huge problem since airlines started charging for checked bags, people are pushing it to an idiotic level and i wouldn't be at all surprised if some one decided to make people test the bags in the little cage, particularly if the flight is full.

On one flight last year the gate agent actually pointed at one lady bag and said "you've got to be kidding me"...

Also, to varying degrees getting through TSA with carry on is a pain, i usually check the bags and only carry a backpack with the electronics and a change of clothes on the plane.

Again - I've seen it where an inch or two probably wasn't going to make a difference in how many could fit, but yeah the rules are the rules.

I haven't really heard of TSA (or contractors in specific airports) really caring one way or another what the size of baggage is. It's up to the airline really.

Granted - I think width might be the most important thing now with newer overhead bins that can take more when placed sideways.

I was going to say the size of luggage acceptable in reality depends on plane how old new, old, renovated and brand. Some planes carry on like Air Canada Bombardier jets I take they take “carry on” right at gate and stow under plane. You land and find it all lined back up as you exit (best system by a long shot I have seen).

The point about getting a 2-wheel roller instead of a 4-wheel spinner is a good one, but the last time I shopped for luggage, I found it harder to find a roller; spinners are much more popular.

Spinners are fine for smooth, flat surfaces, and for most people, whose bags go from car to airport terminal to hotel and back, no problems.

They're not so great for going over rough, uneven surfaces, like old cobblestone walks and pavement, if you're dragging it to a private rental after being dropped off by a cab, or taking public transit.

But if that's the option taken, at least choose one that has wider single wheels, not tiny dualies in each corner. Tipped at an angle, and resting on only two wheels, a spinner with the larger wheels can traverse terrain ok.

My impression is that European carriers have tighter luggage requirements, but in any case, it's best to do your homework beforehand.

I can't say how the airlines approach it, but luggage dimensions are nominal anyway, at least from the makers. And those classifications have wiggle room in themselves, with 27/28/29/30" options, depending on who's making it. One "27-inch" bag is not going to measure out exactly like one from another brand.

Going further, I compared two 27" bags last time, one that was slightly wider, but shallower, and one narrower, but deeper, which I found to be more practical.

Oh, and packing cubes are great at maximizing the available space, and organization helps keep things from becoming one pile of clothes mixed up in a box.

If this is going to be a repeated exercise, it does make more sense to buy a nicer bag, with a better warranty that the manufacturer is actually willing to do repairs on. A leisure/occasional traveller? Might not be worth the money, since it won't be used as often. The luggage handlers and system don't discriminate, and will beat them both up anyway, so a more moderately priced (but not dirt cheap disposable) is less likely to cause agita when it gets damaged.

Like many product categories, there are only a handful of manufacturers behind the major brands anyway, and it's a big exercise in marketing segmentation for what are fundamentally the same components, with certain niceities added to justify each jump in price or prestige. A lot of that extra coin is going to the warranty and service support, so it's not unlike buying a commodity-like car battery.

On a longer trip, with few or no connections, I'd be checking the bag anyway, and not worry about overhead dimensions, just weight. A bathroom scale alone, or with you as tare will help get you in the ballpark without having to buy more gadgets.

With KLM, signing up for their frequent flier program for free waived the bag fee, at least a few years ago.

I was not aware of this brand and thought Travel Pro was the go-to bag for pilots. Nice to see the wheels are serviceable, which I don't think is possible with my Samsonite. When that breaks down I'll pay up for a Stealth with the Afterburner logo just for fun.

Stealth.JPG

Wheel.JPG

Those rollerblade wheels are tough. They last a long time. That’s my bag. They have a lighter, “executive” line, but I went with the heavy duty version.

My impression is that European carriers have tighter luggage requirements, but in any case, it's best to do your homework beforehand.

It seems to be fairly uniform. Either specific metric sizes or they default to what the major US airlines have in inches/lbs.

Most common these days for US airlines is 22"x14"x9" and 25 lbs. European airlines tend to be 55x35x25 cm, which is about 21.7"x13.8"x9.9" with 12 kg (26.4 lbs). I guess it all worked where they tried to fit everything into nice looking numbers.

The exception these days in the airline world is probably Southwest, which still has 24"x16"x10". I remember Alaska Airlines used to be even more with 24"x17"x10".

This is the goal of the newer bins (on edge - perpendicular)

IMG_2124.jpg

Last edited:
Back