Flying question: baggage

Wife and daughter have a trip coming up, flying to Italy and France. One of the suitcases is a bit over the 14” limit, but under the 22” height limit by at least an inch. I have not flown in 15 years and have no idea why she is asking me, but I know where I can ask. :)

It’s 1.5cm over the limit in width, apparently. She’s not sure if they pull out the tape measure or just eyeball it.

Wife and daughter have a trip coming up, flying to Italy and France. One of the suitcases is a bit over the 14” limit, but under the 22” height limit by at least an inch. I have not flown in 15 years and have no idea why she is asking me, but I know where I can ask. :)

It’s 1.5cm over the limit in width, apparently. She’s not sure if they pull out the tape measure or just eyeball it.
the airline is also an important factor. what airline service?

I assume this is a carry-on piece. Worse comes to worst, they'll just check it & throw it in the belly of the plane. Disclaimer - I've never flown international, only domestic.

most airlines have a device your bag has to fit in. If it doesn't fit it doesn't go... That said if it is close they might not notice. Worse case she checks the bag.

Just my $0.02

Reactions: hrv
Air France.
while i have never flown air france, i have spent quite a large chunk of time on airplanes and i’ve never once had a agent measure my bag. worst i’ve ever had was them making me shove it in their template and with enough elbow grease i got it to fit. all was well. best of luck and have a nice trip!

It is likely they will be OK since it is barely above the limit. Most airlines have a chrome tubular framework contraption to test the fitment of carry-on luggage and personal items. If it fits, it passes. Really allows for some leeway if using soft-side carry-on luggage.

Here is a basic guide that provides the carry-on limitations for Air France:

AIRLINE LUGGAGE LIMITS

Carry on apparently. She say’s it’s ok if it’s gate checked?

It is likely they will be OK since it is barely above the limit. Most airlines have a chrome tubular framework contraption to test the fitment of carry-on luggage and personal items. If it fits, it passes. Really allows for some leeway if using soft-side carry-on luggage.

Here is a basic guide that provides the carry-on limitations for Air France:

AIRLINE LUGGAGE LIMITS
Thanks, will pass that info along.

The length and thickness are more important. The box you need to stick it in is open at the top / width side. Worst case they gate check it - don't put meds or glasses or whatever in it JIC.

Your probably way closer to spec than most. Is it a hard side or soft side case?

Fitting overhead is usually more about length. I find international flights have more overhead space because more people checking things, and usually you get one free checked bag on international - check your ticket rules.

I think she’s just going to buy another bag, one rated on Amazon for the task, not big money it sounds like. She remeasured, including wheels, and now it’s like 1.5” over, so I think she’s conceding defeat and just shopping for a replacement.

I think she’s just going to buy another bag, one rated on Amazon for the task, not big money it sounds like. She remeasured, including wheels, and now it’s like 1.5” over, so I think she’s conceding defeat and just shopping for a replacement.
And she'll see people with bigger bags shoving them in the overheads. Just part of the joys of flying.

On international (cross Atlantic) flights, they're usually more lenient when it comes to the size of your carry-on. If it's a domestic or within Europe flight, some airlines can be rather strict though.

On a flight on a discount airline between Amsterdam and Oslo the weight of carry on bags was the critical factor.

If you pay for checked bags when you buy the tickets, the cost is $25/bag. If you pay for checked bags through your travel agent within 48 hours of the flight the cost rises to $50/bag. If you pay for checked bags at the check-in gate the cost is $75/bag.

The trick is they weigh your carry on bags and enforce a hard upper limit (25 Kg maybe). If you go over, you have to check the "carry on bag" and pay $75. We were traveling as a group of 5 and always carry a bag weighing scale. When we saw what was going on the members of our group shuffled things around and got most of our carry on bags down to the weight limit. Having a scale saved a lot of money that day.

Carry on apparently. She say’s it’s ok if it’s gate checked?
Go to the website for AF - there will be many things that cannot (lithium batteries etc) and something’s you should not leave in checked baggage (passport, iPhones/pads/laptop) …
I only bring a backpack on the plane bcs so many people stretch the limits it’s a struggle at times to find space …

You say your wife is looking for a new carry on bag. When we buy a new bag we look for one with 2 larger rollers. You can walk a long distance over fairly rough ground (eg cobbles) with one of those behind you. Good luck walking any distance over cobbles with a bag with 4 tiny rollers.

After our experience in Amsterdam we also learned to look for a light weight bag. A heavy bag eats up too much of the weight limit.

Get a good bag - Like a TravelPro.

They’re worth the extra cost and they fit. I prefer a 2 wheel roller. The upright rollers only work on glass smooth surfaces. 2 wheel is much more versatile.

Some Euro airlines are very, very restrictive/rigid when it comes to carry on bag sizes.

Check now, before purchase.

Back