Fluid Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to change out the hydraulic fluid on my Boom truck crane due to water contamination.

mostly hyd. cyl. Low heat and cycle times and low speed hyd. motor for turn table.

The Mfg. Rep says ISO 46. What's a good brand and type for this application?

I would like to stick to locally available Major brands As I have to buy 55 gal. And don't want to pay freight.

I.E. Chevron, Shell, Texaco and Mobil.

No mystic or Shaffers dealers around here.

Or a good solution for dealing with water contamination.

Oh truck has 10 micron Vickers full flow filter on it also.

Nearly everyone pays freight for nearly everything. Whether we realize it or not. Many just include it in the price.

Take a look at this one: https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g1253_rev9_06.pdf . You would likely qualify for a Commercial Account which gets you the lowest possible price, plus delivery anywhere you want it. Contact a site sponsor and help support BITOG.
patriot.gif

I really don't see any cost benefits for my application from going to synthetic. I don't see enough temperature extremes here in Northern, Ca 10 miles from the coast.

Coldest I need to operate in is maybe 45 Deg. (only if I cant put off working in that cold) and the hottest I have ever seen the fluid is 145 Deg. That was on a 110 deg day oil sitting in a black tank.

Just looking for a good oil with a good additive package to condition seals lubricate the vane pump and MAINLY keep the Controls and Valves working properly.

Dualie - the cost benefit would be from an extended drain interval and likely longer equipment life. For a $20 analysis at your normal drain interval, the analysis would likely tell you that you can extend your drain interval and tell you how your equipment is wearing.

BTW
welcome.gif

To tell you the truth if it wasn't for the water intrusion I would change the fluid that's in there. Crane is a 1989 model. Its reached my ROI and is going to be purged from the fleet in 5 years.

Whatever fluid goes in there stays in there.

I just need it to work today and work safely. no valves bleeding off or hanging up.

Sorry that should have said I would not change the fluid that's in there right now.

With that much capacity and the low duty cycle nature.

Regular Dino with a health additive package is all I'm looking for.

Also is there a way I can edit my existing posts?

55 gallons of TRC's hydraulic oil would cost $756.25 delivered to your door step. It's a top of the line dino oil with a great additive package and free UOA's included.

Quote:

Nearly everyone pays freight for nearly everything. Whether we realize it or not. Many just include it in the price.

Take a look at this one: https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g1253_rev9_06.pdf . You would likely qualify for a Commercial Account which gets you the lowest possible price, plus delivery anywhere you want it. Contact a site sponsor and help support BITOG.
patriot.gif

innocent question, are you an Amsoil dealer?

Quote:

55 gallons of TRC's hydraulic oil would cost $756.25 delivered to your door step. It's a top of the line dino oil with a great additive package and free UOA's included.

Holly $*** that's only $300 more than the Chevron Aw 46. UOA's are Irrelevant to this truck doesn't get enough Use or miles. I did get an EOA at 6000 Hours. Came out with flying colors.

I just need to get the water contaminated stuff out of there.

You didn't say you wanted a cheap fluid. I was suggesting a top of the line hydraulic oil.

Call Tim @ oil products in Benica tell him Bruce sent you. will be cheapest around. Also Do fill and drian to get out water, drian at lowest point even If you have to take off a hose. If you can not do that Email me I will send a gallon of dispersant to suck up water BEFORE you drain old oil.
bruce

The tank is the lowest point in the system. It really is a well thought out design with a low spot drain in the tank which is the lowest point in the system.

My only concern after fluid change out is the emulsified water left in the oil trapped in the upper works of the crane.

I took a sample from the oil tank a little while back and put in a clear, dry, plastic bottle and shook it up lightly. It took over a month for the water to settle out of the fluid Just sitting on the shelf @ room temp.

That and the PITA its going to be to get rid of 55+ gal of water contaminated HYD oil.

Do you think I would be better off to just run the dispersant strait off then go ahead and flush and fill?

I appreciate A response that isn't trying to sell some weird specialty blend I have to get shipped from Bulgaria.

Also do you think running a desiccant breather on this tank would help dispense of any residual trapped moisture.

It seems like im going to be working this unit an awefull lot in the next couple of months so I would like to get this problem out of my hair before it becomes a nightmare.

If it's heavily contaminated with water you may want to drain it, flush it out with the cheapest oil you can find and refill it with your prefered oil. You could also hook up a filter cart to it that has a water block filter and filter the water out of the oil. If you think oil contamination with water is going to be a ongoing problem you may want to consider installing a water block filter as a bypass filter.

As far as the desiccant breather goes. I would suggest using one but it will not do much for the water that is already in the system. It will however prevent more water from entering the system through the breather.

As far as disposing of the old oil that shouldn't be a big problem. Just find someone with a waste oil burner in their shop. If you were closer to me I would take it to burn in my shop heater. You can also check with your local government and see if they have a waste oil disposal site you can drop it off at. Used oil is a valuable comodity these day's.

Sounds like a synthetic hydraulic fluid like I recommended above would have prevented the emulsified water in the first place and may be a way to separate it on the refill.

"The AW Series base oils also readily separate
from water, preventing oil/water emulsions that inhibit
lubrication and allowing for longer lubricant life and
easier water drainage from the sump."

"• Hydrolytically stable and readily separates from water"

"AMSOIL Synthetic AW Series
Antiwear Hydraulic Oils separate
readily from water, preventing the
formation of oil-water emulsions
and subsequent degradation of
equipment lubrication and protection.
Ready water separation also
promotes easy sump water drainage."

Un Known to me one of my employees had knocked the tank breather off the truck. They drove it around and parked it out side in the rain for 2 months before I noticed the problem. There's probably about a gallon and a half of water in the 55+ gallon system.

Problem with the local disposal centers they will only take 5 gal at a time. A major PITA to drop 5 gallons a day.

How much are the filter carts your talking about? I have several larger pieces of hydraulic equipment. Press brakes and metal shears. If there under a couple of hundred bucks and they work good I might pick one up.

Call Evergreen in Newark to haul away maybe ?? $100 or so but easier than BFI any way you can add a dispersant/emulsifier that will "suck" up the water BEFORE the oil is drianed, run it a day or so to mix then drain it and then flush with a small 10 gallon of oil that should do it. Tim can tell you local how/where to dispose of old hydro oil. No need for high dollar oil a normal AW will last in your case years.
bruce
bruce

Just finished unloading a 55 gal drum of Chevron Rykon® Premium Oils AW46. Just need to find someone that will take the 55 gal of used oil that's in there now. (without going through the hassle of getting an EPA ID number.)

Thanks everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back