Flashback. Cars u had in high school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vibe_2007

1984 Renault Alliance: Beat on this thing for two years and put a lot of miles on it before the clutch failed and it got junked.

I am 40 years old, so I owned these in high school from 1990-93.

Ha, I have about the same story, mine was an auto, What a pile. I just turned 40 in Nov. Had mine for about 2 years at the same time period.

Originally Posted By: 6starprez
No photos.

1979 Plymouth Volare, Slant 6, White w/ Green interior I bought myself for $2,600 when I was 16. It wasn't the nicest car but it was clean. It did burned oil though and I mean burn. 'Ol girl was smoking when you removed the oil cap with it running. IIRC, it was 1991 when it was totaled in a wreck after a lady pulled out in front of my wife.

My father currently has and drives a 1979 plymouth volare that is green with the slant 6. Car has about 65000 miles on it, he bought it about 10 years ago from an elderly lady. My dad is 78 years old and his volare is perfect for him. I let him borrow my 2001 forester and he couldnt work the radio, the controls for the heater or anything..he even hit the panic button on the key fob. Modern cars are not for him, the volare is perfect for his needs. Below is a pic of what my dads volare looks like almost exactly. Puke green inside and out.

124866_3456_95_ans_de_ppre_ph.jpg

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: exranger06
Pics of my Accord can be seen here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2011484/1

Nice! My favorite Accord body style of all times. Classic sedan lines. The 2-door version looked great as well.

Mine too.

My dad's wife had the 1990 EX coupe.. the first year with no flip-up headlights. Really good car. (Same color as that one, too!)

There are a couple of vehicles that I wanted really really bad but never did own.
1)Chevy Luv- one of my friends had one in high school. It was flat black because it rusted really bad. we used to do the 'turn the key off, pump the gas a few times, and turn the key on' while driving to do the atomic bomb backfire..man i miss that! We took it 4 wheeling countless times and it was like a billy goat with the granny gear.

2)The Merkur XR4Ti- this car was the future. While i never got to ride in one, i imagined it must be like driving a race car.

luv.gif

merkur-xr4ti-04.jpg

I was in HS from fall '78 to spring '82, and I drove a '73 Plymouth Satellite handed down from my folks. I don't have a handy picture of it from back in its prime, but the picture below was taken the day I gave it away in 2013 when it was over 40 years old (build date August of '72). At that time, I'd driven it all through HS, College, grad school, early career (commuting ~50 miles/day for 10 years). When I finally parted with it, it had 436,800 miles on the clock and had been in garaged storage for >5 years. It started up after a 10-minute prep of a new battery, shot of fresh fuel in the tank, priming the Thermoquad's float bowls with gas (it was stored with MMO in the float bowls), and checking for rodents. The new owner drove it home the next day. You can't kill a Chrysler 318/904 drivetrain- best ever (including better than a slant-6/904, Chevy 350/TH350, or Jeep 4.0/AW4) in my book.

It was my closest thing to a 'hot rod' (despite being an anemic smallblock and a 4-door) for many years, so I beefed the heck out of the suspension with big sway bars front and rear, polygraphite bushings, bigger torsion bars, and stiffer shocks. The engine got a 4-barrel Edelbrock Performer and the Thermoquad in place of the original BBD, dual roller timing chain, degreed cam, and a few other minor goodies. I always planned to put better gears in it, but never got around to it before I bought the R/T in my sig and started devoting my energies to that. I probably had the best-handling 4-door Satellite of all time when I was done... it would flat-out carve corners, but didn't have the gearing to dig out of them all that well. Still was fun though.

ced470d0-f466-4960-8f7e-70d39973a6f8_zpsa966811d.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Eric Smith

86 Cavalier.. just got the AC fixed and jumped in after a long day working on a roof in 100 degree heat.. Don't remember any of it.
002.jpg

I'll have to show that to my wife! In HS she drove a hand-me-down late 70s Ford Thunderturd that she hated, or borrowed her Dad's GMC truck. But when she got her first job her junior year in college, she bought a brand-new '84 Cavalier Type10 2-door, light blue over dark blue, all on her own. She still had it when we got married in 1990, and we kept it for a few years after that. I have to confess I absolutely despised the car- gutless, hard to work on, typical early 80s GM shoddy assembly, and all. The air conditioning was forever eating compressors, the steering rack leaked and you had to practically pull the engine to get at it, and it lunched its transmission spectacularly at only 80,000 miles. But it was a sentimental favorite for her, and she still remembers it fondly. I smile and nod when she mentions it... but a little bit of me dies inside remembering all the bloody knuckles trying to keep it running.

In High School, a '75 Mustang II that my dad was about to junk cause the engine threw a rod. I purchased a whole new 302 cid long block from a performance shop. Did some head work, had the c4 trans rebuilt with high stall converter and slapped some 3.73 gears on the 8" rear end. We used to go race cars next to the local industrial rail road track area. Good times!

Not the actual phot of car but, it was just like this one below. I removed all the white trim and rear soft top and had it painted deep navy blue with black accents. It had black mesh bbs type wheels.

1977-ford-mustang-ii_100179505_l.jpg

Sorry, no pictures.

1966 GMC 1000 w/V6-351E and 4 spd. granny low. That's right, 6 cylinders, 351 cubic inch, no one believes me until they look it up: 6066gmcguy.com
The thing was three colors [original white, Pontiac goat-vomit green and rattle-can blue] and I made a wooden flatbed for it which I painted with brown latex paint.

It was down for a couple of months because the genius in me decided to replace my original plug wires with the original plug wires from my Dad's 1967 GMC 3500 V6-305E because they looked to be in better condition. It ended up with a bad high rpm misfire which I blamed on the head gasket and couldn't verify because I didn't have a compression gauge. I ended up putting on a set of used NGK wires I got at a garage sale from a 300ZX which I cut down to length.

While the GMC was down I licensed a 1965 Impala 283 Powerglide which my Mom quit driving when I was in the 5th grade because the exhaust fell off. My sister had previously resurrected it about a year before and drove it into the ground for a few months, and it had been resurrected briefly before that when I learned how to drive and our 1979 Capiece [Caprice Classic] was broken down. The oil was changed once during 8 or 9 years of ownership, my Dad never bothered to because it had a cartridge filter. It sprayed oil onto the exhaust from the valve cover when revving the engine. The ball joints were so worn out that it had a terrible shimmy from 30 to 50 mph, then it went away at freeway speeds. It is the only car that I have ever been stupid enough to replace the shocks on, the shimmy went away for one day and returned the very next. The last time I seen it was about 8 years ago. My Dad sold it 19 years ago to a guy who put mag wheels on it and drove it for 2 weeks, then removed the engine block to use in another car and the Impala sat beside his shop for the next 11 or more years.

I probably have bad automotive karma to this day because my friends and I would creep the Impala out into intersections during rush hour and shut off the engine; then pump the throttle and crank the engine making smoke pour out from all directions; then, when the light turned yellow hold the accelerator to the floor to clear the flooding, start up, and speed away. Then we would blow out the carbon by driving in the fast lane of the 101 at 30 mph during the same rush hour.

My first car (and first demo!) 1979 Camaro 305 Sport Coupe Automatic - In Wilmette, Illinois, December 11, 1978 - I was a Senior in High School - I absolutely loved this car - Even the vinyl seats. Dark Brown Metallic with a Camel vinyl interior. I still have the window sticker for it. From memory it had air, tilt wheel, lighting package, bright trim package, sport wheels, rear defogger...driving this car was a dream. Those were the days..
2j0jame.jpg

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
No pictures of my first car either. It was a '74 Olds Cutlass Supreme, silver with a black top and black interior. 350 "Rocket" under the hood (gold valve covers!) and deeply recessed gauges, I was quite fond of that car.

Left it in Ontario when we moved out east and my grandfather sent it to the wreckers
smirk.gif

2nd car, which I drove through high school was my mom's 1986 Olds Custom Cruiser wagon. Burgundy with burgundy interior. The 307 was anemic and the tranny had issues but it got you where you needed to go. Sucking back gas the whole way, LOL!

Hey we had the exact same 1st car!!
smile.gif
I had a 74 Olds Cutlass Supreme,blue with white landau top,matching blue Cutlass mags,white vinyl interior,chrome shifter between the seats,AM radio,Rocket 350 engine. Pristine mint condition!! I'm thinking it got 8,9 mpg's. I was in high school '83-'87.

'78 gutless supreme. It was actually a very reliable ride back then, just gutless though. Delivered newspapers and bussed tables/washed dishes through my teen years to buy it. The local drive in closed up the year I got my drivers license though, bummer.

30611403-770-0@2X.jpg

I had a 1985 Ford F-250, complete with a snow plow. Nothing like plowing all night then going straight to school in the morning with no sleep.
laugh.gif

This isn't mine, but it's nearly identical except I had a Western plow instead of a Fisher.

f250_plow_side.jpg

Originally Posted By: dhise
'78 gutless supreme.

Did yours have the six or the eight? (He asks like it even matters...neither made more than about 125 horsepower...)

Mine was an '83 Plymouth Turismo 2.2. We bought it in '87 with 5k miles on, and paid $5K. It was in the Chicago Auto Show. I drove it until '92, and put over 100K miles on.

turismo.jpg

Mine was a 1989 Chevy Corsica LTZ, just like the one in the pic, only mine was white. The thing ran like $41+ !!!, used more gas than air,harder start than a carburated full of water lol. The seats in it were awesome. I've never changed oil in it, even after driving for a week in 90 degree weather and a stuck thermostat. Dad's got a 89 Beretta right now with about 103k on the clock, and good thing Chevrolet can't paint cars worth a skip otherwise the disfigured dash and headliner would stand out. It's was tip top when he got it in 03 with 35k. Other than a rotted muffler and incontinence of the oil, runs great.
Corsica-LTZ.jpg

Originally Posted By: Cardenio327
Sorry, no pictures.

1966 GMC 1000 w/V6-351E and 4 spd. granny low. That's right, 6 cylinders, 351 cubic inch, no one believes me until they look it up:

I've seen a few 305 versions of the GM v6, but never a 351. When people don't believe a v6 that big exists, I always tell them "well, then, you'll NEVER believe where the spark plugs were located on them..."

smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: dhise
'78 gutless supreme.

Did yours have the six or the eight? (He asks like it even matters...neither made more than about 125 horsepower...)

When I was in grad school, a friend and co-worker in the lab had a 78 Cutlass (green) with the little V8- I forget the size. It was a surprisingly reliable car, though he did things like feed it a steady diet of Trans-X to keep at least some of the ATF on the inside, and he re-painted the roof, hood, and trunk in our work parking lot on weekends with rattle-cans (just to stave off the rust monsters). The only time it actually let him down was when a wire inside the HEI distributor broke- the little wire that feeds the pickup signal from the reluctor to the HEI module. Easy enough fix, but it did force him to call me to pick him up (in the Satellite mentioned above) to take him to a parts store and actually *buy* an auto part, which we were all averse to doing at that point in our careers. :)

Which reminds me- we had another grad school / lab cohort who had an Oldsmobile 88 diesel- complete with the "desirable" Goodwrench dealer-replacement 350 diesel engine. We kidded him that his parents might have been guilty of child abuse because they bought each kid (and there were three!) a used Oldsmodiesel before sending them off cross-country to college. But his was actually a reliable car for many years, though only because he drove unbelievably gently, knowing that it was made of eggshells and tissue paper. He liked to say 'it doesn't have many horses and they don't run any faster if you beat on them... but at least they are Clydesdales.'

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

I've seen a few 305 versions of the GM v6, but never a 351. When people don't believe a v6 that big exists, I always tell them "well, then, you'll NEVER believe where the spark plugs were located on them..."

smile.gif

C'mon now, you can't leave us hanging...

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

smile.gif

C'mon now, you can't leave us hanging...

Between the intake runners. See the first two photos on this page:

http://6066gmcguy.com/gmcv6a.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back