Flashback. Cars u had in high school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
... so that you can see the SAME EXACT kind of wheels that were on my VW.

American Racing AR-157.

*the Blazer is still here.

dd65521a47afa5c93fd18b08040f0896.jpg

1979 Ford Courier pickup for 500 bucks. That truck would take a beating and keep on ticking. Great, but ugly little pickup.

1984 Renault Alliance: Beat on this thing for two years and put a lot of miles on it before the clutch failed and it got junked.

I am 40 years old, so I owned these in high school from 1990-93.

Last edited:
I had an 88 Pathfinder. I LOVED that car. It was slow and drank gas but it was a tank. I loved tooling through the woods and driving it on the beach. Ahhhh, memories.....

The good one: 1957 Chevy Bel-Air 2-Dr Hardtop. In some ways, sort of a dirt-road special: Interior had been recovered in red & black vinyl, had been converted from Powerglide to 3-sp on the floor(with world's oldest Hurst shifter!), 283 ci V8(with PowerPak heads), primitive-looking Carter WCFB 4-bbl carb, oil bath air cleaner. The generator(*Not* alternator!) had a splined shaft coming out the rear, the power steering pump fit onto that & bolted to rear of generator. It had a 4-Track(yes, a 4-track!) tape player in it, few tapes found under the seat.(Dean Martin, Supremes, & an Elvis that was worn out) Prices weren't insane back then- IIRC, seller asked $600 & I bought it for $475. Drove it for about 2 1/2 yrs, spent almost nothing on it(bought a newer better Hurst flat-bar shifter for $8. Bought another 3-sp trans at junkyard for $10. Ran Sears Re-Cap tires on it. I did put a semi-decent 8-track in it.) Sat down with local parts guy to see what it would take to make a nice car out of it(add 327 or 350 V8, go to ATx or 4-sp, interior, fix fender, repaint, add air cond, etc. Woulda taken a min of $1200, more like $1500- and then I coulda turned around & sold it- if I was *Very* lucky- for *Maybe* $1200. That just didn't make sense even to a 19-yr old kid(who still secretly lusted after a 66-67 GTO!) Sold it with a cracked block & pushed-in front fender for $275. I later heard the Guy who bought it got it all going, drove it just a few times & then went way too fast & was terribly injured. Car was destroyed of course.

It wasn't until a few years after I sold it that prices on 55-57 Chevys began to get ridiculous.

1968 Ford Fairlane 289. a lot of fun!
1976 Vega. what a sled!
1974 VW Beetle. 3 speed semi-automatic. another slug.

parents had a cream colored 1976 Volare wagon and a 1980 Impala.

1982 Celica Supra - inline 6 with a 5-speed

One of the faster cars on the road back then... I loved it.

I used to take it to the local Toyota dealer for $9.99 oil changes!

DSCF0130.jpg

Mercedes-190SL-Convertible.jpg

1956 190SL purchased for $600 in 1964. Ever mechanical part broke and every body part (except doors, trunk lid and engine hood) rusted out. It forced me to learn how to fix cars.

Last edited:
90 Ford Festiva.. too bad I totalled it could of drove it for years.
001.jpg

86 Cavalier.. just got the AC fixed and jumped in after a long day working on a roof in 100 degree heat.. Don't remember any of it.
002.jpg

And this POS 88 S15 should of drove it off the cliff versus fixing it all the 5 years and only 50k!

05948944-33c8-46b3-a3de-348f532b3b1f_zpsckutwzks.jpg

http://www.grit.com/tools/1965_international_1200_pickup.aspx#axzz3PeyFGx6j
1960's era international pickup was what i learned to drive on. 3 on the column. my dad had 2 for work and chores on his little farm. i can't remember the exact years on these, but the earlier one was a real work horse with a straight 6. the later one had a v8 and dad had a cattle pen on it so he could haul a few steers heifers to and from the cattle barn.

sometimes on friday nights my older brother and i would take the stock cage off of it and power wash the whole truck so we could take it around town for a cruise or two! after a hard days work building fence or clearing brush by ax, post hole digger ie no labor saving tools for us, we would stop at local in town version of sonic and get 6 hamburgers for a dollar...woo hoo

in the 70's my brother saved up for a chevy nova and later i was able to save up for a newer 78 chevy truck.

i really enjoyed driving manual on the column.

Last edited:
In my senior year of high school I bought(with the help of my dad) a new 1974 Monte Carlo Landau with the base 350 2V. I think Car and Driver timed its 0-60 time in the mid 12s.

I recurved the distributor and installed a Mallory Unilite pointless ignition(the idiot dealer had deleted the HEI on the order sheet to save a few bucks). I also added an Edelbrock two-plane manifold and Q-Jet, a Crane Hi-Torque cam, Blackjack 1 5/8" headers. a 2 1/2" dual exhaust with Cherry Bomb Q mufflers, a B&M Trans-Pak shift kit, a Hayden 15,000 lb. Gvw cooler, and a 3:42 rear gear set.

I also upgraded the lighting(Cibie "off road only" Z Beam 7" H4 halogens), and the audio system(Pioneer in-dash AM-FM w/Dolby Cassette, 6X9 20 oz. coaxials, and an AD-304 power amp with a whopping 15 wpc!).

I left the suspension alone since even Road & Track thought it handled pretty well.

It was very quick for its time(1974-1983 or so). It would chirp the tires on the 1-2 upshift at 35 mph and on the 2-3 upshift at 70 mph. Not bad for a 4200 lb. barge. I sold it in 1989 and it was still running strong...

My first car in High School? 1950 Studebaker, it was 1 year newer than my dad's chevy. the year was 1959, I think. It burned a qt. of oil every 100 miles but never let me down and got me from point A to point B. Had the "T" handle to put the overdrive in. Also had the push starter on the floor, any of you remember those?

In high school in Guatemala I drove my parents vehicles

Mom's 1990 Mazda MPV 4 cylinder 4 spd auto, no power but carried a lot of high schoolers in the back, dad put water in it instead of coolant and it was always boiling when I pulled into the driveway... he said it was because I was driving too fast.. rofl
290_1.jpg

Dad's 1986 Toyota Hilux 4x4 Crew Cab Diesel 5pd manual it was slooow even compared to the minivan, but had great Hi/Lo 4wd and manual front locking hubs.
Ours was navy blue with an orange stripe.
Hilux_88_Diesel_DC_1.jpg

sadly... as your typical teenager I wanted any car other than what we had.... specifically any manual RWD car that could do a burnout.

Last edited:
Started off driving my mom's Camry

Got my Civic in 2004 during junior year of high school with some help from my parents. My first and only new car. I kept it in immaculate shape.

Had it for 4 years and this happened to it and got totaled. Makes me sad seeing these pictures again

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Didn't have a car in high school -- in fact not until I left college in 1976. The '75 Ford Maverick sedan was actually purchased by my fiancee with an inheritance; MSRP was about $4300, as I recall. Ours was a light metallic green, with a matching cloth/vinyl interior, some fake wood strips and chrome bits, and the larger 250 cid I6. I learned to change oil, coolant, and other things on it. It rode well for the time, and we ran from Lafayette, LA, down to NO at least once a month, a 250-mile round trip, at 55-65 (those were the days of the double-nickel speed limit, remember?). I think it averaged around 15 mpg, which was darn good when gas was .55/gallon.

It's hard to find a pic of a 4-door Maverick on the web. All of them seem to be coupes and Grabbers.

Green 4 door maverick example..
dsc00384ed.jpg

Originally Posted By: Vibe_2007
1979 Ford Courier pickup for 500 bucks. That truck would take a beating and keep on ticking. Great, but ugly little pickup.

1984 Renault Alliance: Beat on this thing for two years and put a lot of miles on it before the clutch failed and it got junked.

I am 40 years old, so I owned these in high school from 1990-93.

Here are examples of the Ford Courier and Renault alliance

1978+Ford+Courier+Compact+Pickup+Truck+second+generation+4.jpg

Renault_Alliance_coupe_--_10-24-2009.jpg

No photos.

1979 Plymouth Volare, Slant 6, White w/ Green interior I bought myself for $2,600 when I was 16. It wasn't the nicest car but it was clean. It did burned oil though and I mean burn. 'Ol girl was smoking when you removed the oil cap with it running. IIRC, it was 1991 when it was totaled in a wreck after a lady pulled out in front of my wife.

1994 Ford Explorer. Pics can be seen here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2011548/My_Explorer#Post2011548
My father bought it used back in 1996, when it was about 2 years old and had about 20k miles on it. It was his daily driver for years, then I started driving it in high school. Then I started driving my mom's Accord to college and my mom drove the Explorer instead. She still has it and drives it every day. 195k miles and counting... I ended up buying the Accord off of her and I still drive that almost every day. Pics of my Accord can be seen here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2011484/1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back