fixed the dreaded rust!

Status
Not open for further replies.
THANKS GUYS!!
turned the garage heat off. some of the problem is living in massachusetts. my friend had his second diesel dodge truck rust out. he bought, for $1500, a used truck from florida. NO RUST AT ALL. he is using the body to replace his trucks rusted body, and he will keep driving it! his diesel trucks go about 300,000 miles!

i myself love to have a 2 car garage. i get into a 40 degree car, not a 10 below zero car with 2 feet of snow on it! i plan to take my car each spring to the body shop for inspection. paying $950 every 6 years is WAY better than 500 per month on a new car! have a great christmas, guys! bob

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I don't buy that. Once the winter solution drips down, it's only water that evaporates from the floor. Anybody who's been introduced to desalination techniques to produce drinkable water knows that.

Heated garages are worst for corrosion for different reasons. The warm surroundings keep the winter solution wet, where it does the worst damage. Letting the solution freeze on the car will temporarily halt corrosive activity. Temperature also plays a part in speed of reaction. A warm garage will hasten corrosion.

Vehicles parked on concrete and gravel rust horribly up here.

Reminds me of my wife's family-grandfather a commercial contractor and built his retirement rambler/ranch in 1953 with much steel/concrete, ect ect-the best of everything and heated attached garage=kept it at 'room temp' with mostly clean big Buicks that never rusted. His daughter, my mominlaw, bought a baby blue '76 Merc Monark(Granada)that rusted terribly almost imediately. The dealer rustproofing warranty 'fix' was to parge on bondo everywhere to cover it up and they also managed to plug the door drain holes so water shloshed away-what a mess!

If you are this serious in trying to save your car, follow the excellent advice of Kestas and others above. Find a competent place to spray an oil type rustproofing INSIDE all your weld seams. No amount of exterior rust repair will stop the rust thats starting from the inside - salt solution wicking into the metal seams as shown below:
d2babce2.jpg
door_corrosion.jpg

Originally Posted By: Miller88

Vehicles parked on concrete and gravel rust horribly up here.

Where else is there to park? You've just described the parking of over 99% of vehicles.

I remember reading an article of a barn find, where 50 year old cars were found. They attributed the lack of rust on the cars to the barn dirt floor.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I remember reading an article of a barn find, where 50 year old cars were found. They attributed the lack of rust on the cars to the barn dirt floor.

I would guess there was no animal manure on those barn floors. Nothing mentioned here causes rust faster than the presence of manure.

THANK YOU do it myself! your photo is exactly what i had on the doors!!!!!

***Question to all*****

where in massachusetts can i find a reputable shop to spray in an oil based rust inhibitor?

merry christmas!
bob

DIY is definitely an option. http://www.kellsportproducts.com/fluidfilmkits.html

Go to the sites and do a dealer check: Krown, RustCheck, Carwell, and CorrosionFree

Maybe waxoyl?: http://www.robisonservice.com/servicedep/waxoyl.asp

I did a very quick check and see that Corrosion Free has 4 outlets around Massachusetts.

The only way to "know" if they are competent is to visit the shop and get a feel about how customer oriented they are. Who does the work is probably more important than which product is used, except I personally prefer the creeping, non setting, oily, messy products.

If you can't find a national chain, then you have to dig up a mom and pop place that does superb work....they exist.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
If you are this serious in trying to save your car, follow the excellent advice of Kestas and others above. Find a competent place to spray an oil type rustproofing INSIDE all your weld seams. No amount of exterior rust repair will stop the rust thats starting from the inside - salt solution wicking into the metal seams as shown below:
d2babce2.jpg
door_corrosion.jpg
Krown when sprayed inside the door will creep past the seam and spot weld and CLIMB up the exterior panel a couple of inches. I get my 08 Ranger done every year in the fall. I take it to a coin car wash first and get the dirt and [censored] out of all the nooks and cranies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back