First Time Liqui Moly MoS2 Use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: panthermike
Originally Posted By: Injured_Again
Just wanted to post about an eye opening experience. I was able to drive a similar vintage, two-owner Miata with significantly fewer miles, 84000, that has a documented good/excellent maintenance history, and which is currently running a full synthetic motor oil. This car is one year newer but has the same engine.

I exchanged drives with the other owner and he was incredulous at how smoothly my engine revved, despite just under 150k miles (which I will hit this week). His Miata felt faster, some of which is due to very lightweight wheels, but there was a coarseness that I remember my Miata had, but which is now basically gone. And I think the amount of coarseness I had was greater than in this lower mileage Miata.

The other owner said he had driven many Miatas over the years and had never found one with a motor that revved so smoothly. I told him about the MoS2 and while he's pretty skeptical, I think he might try it when his Miata comes out of storage next spring.

My fuel economy is back down, averaging right around 28 MPG. The weather has gotten colder, and driving through the heavy rains that we have had definitely takes a toll on fuel economy, as does running with those huge pop-up headlights acting like parachutes. I'm also driving much aggressively.

I'm going to do some significant maintenance this coming winter, and I'll get some more compression numbers at that time.

I'm glad it's working for you. It's nice that you were able to compare the same model car against your own. I've found Mos2 to work quite well in spite of some people's claims that it will clog filters(not true).

I'm glad its working for him too. As far as the clogged filters go, I haven't personally seen one yet, and I've used quite a bit of MoS2.

I agree with you, nothing but a myth(at least with LM Mos2) and has NEVER been proven.

Originally Posted By: Injured_Again
Just wanted to post about an eye opening experience. I was able to drive a similar vintage, two-owner Miata with significantly fewer miles, 84000, that has a documented good/excellent maintenance history, and which is currently running a full synthetic motor oil. This car is one year newer but has the same engine.

I exchanged drives with the other owner and he was incredulous at how smoothly my engine revved, despite just under 150k miles (which I will hit this week). His Miata felt faster, some of which is due to very lightweight wheels, but there was a coarseness that I remember my Miata had, but which is now basically gone. And I think the amount of coarseness I had was greater than in this lower mileage Miata.

The other owner said he had driven many Miatas over the years and had never found one with a motor that revved so smoothly. I told him about the MoS2 and while he's pretty skeptical, I think he might try it when his Miata comes out of storage next spring.

My fuel economy is back down, averaging right around 28 MPG. The weather has gotten colder, and driving through the heavy rains that we have had definitely takes a toll on fuel economy, as does running with those huge pop-up headlights acting like parachutes. I'm also driving much aggressively.

I'm going to do some significant maintenance this coming winter, and I'll get some more compression numbers at that time.

I'm glad it's working for you. It's nice that you were able to compare the same model car against your own. I've found Mos2 to work quite well in spite of some people's claims that it will clog filters(not true).

Well as far as mos2 clogging an oil filter I've got a freshly removed Bosch that went 5300 miles with 2 cans of mos2 for that interval ready for dissection tomorrow. I will of course be taking pics and will email them to a member for posting.
Mos2 works great.
As far as Trajan using it I personally don't believe he is. I'd need to see a time posted vid of him pouring it in his engine,as well as signed affidavits from 2 witnesses.
He has an agenda therefore I don't believe a word of anything he writes as far as mos2 goes. He's been trying to discredit any post that has anything to do with mos2,so I refuse to believe he put any into a vehicle. It doesn't make sense that he would.
After all this time trashing the stuff suddenly he's seen the light and is using it in his own vehicles. I'm skeptical to say the least.

I have never used LM moly yet so I can't say if it works or not. How about if we had a poll to see how many guys say it worked for them versus how many say it did nothing or deceased performance?

Personally I have not seen very many negative posts about the stuff and most who have tried it say it helped. A poll would be interesting.

My car with 200k has consistently delivered 23-24 mpg on an 800 mile road trip that I drive regularly@75 mph. With the LM MOS2 it's getting 26 mpg.

Added a small amount to my 13 year old lawn mower, have always needed about 10 pulls to start the thing running, after adding Liqui Moly MoS2, it starts on the second pull. Also when it is mowing tall grass, it does not seems to slow down.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
I have never used LM moly yet so I can't say if it works or not. How about if we had a poll to see how many guys say it worked for them versus how many say it did nothing or deceased performance?

Personally I have not seen very many negative posts about the stuff and most who have tried it say it helped. A poll would be interesting.

A poll-good idea.

Count me as having positive results. Sorry no scientific proof though, just an old lawn mower which no longer smokes when MoS2 is added. Its a few years now since it smoked, that was prior to using MoS2. W/O the MoS2 it will smoke while running.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
I have never used LM moly yet so I can't say if it works or not. How about if we had a poll to see how many guys say it worked for them versus how many say it did nothing or deceased performance? Personally I have not seen very many negative posts about the stuff and most who have tried it say it helped. A poll would be interesting.

I have used it for many years, from several different suppliers and in a variety of vehicles and it has always worked. By 'worked', I mean it reduced engine temperature, reduced oil consumption (usually to zero), made the engine run much smoother and helped cold starts.

I suspect that it also improved gas mileage, but my guess is that my mileage gains were small - maybe 1-2 mpg. It is difficult or impossible to measure this kind of gain on a single vehicle in daily use, particularly in urban traffic. Other users have reported better results.

One final thought: in an earlier message, there was a comment regarding clogged oil filters. It is unlikely that MoS2 will clog an oil filter. The reason is that refined MoS2, even in the crudest grade, consists of particles in the 8-10 micron size range. MoS2 particles in liquid suspension (e.g. Liqui-Moly) is in the .2-.3 micron size. Full-flow oil filters used in automobiles typically provide 98% efficiency for particles in the ~15-20 micron range, and efficiency drops off significantly for smaller particles. Even diesel filters are tested down to ~10 micron-sized particles. If a by-pass filter system was installed, it might filter the MoS2 particles, but by-pass filters are not common on passenger vehicles.

Poll wise I'd say my experience was positive. I used it for about 10k straight. Engine was quieter running with it and mpg was at an all time high... just over 19 mpg average othewise I get 18.5 or a hair more.

I stopped using it simply because of expense and the fact UOA's indicated I needed to do much shorter OCI's.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Poll wise I'd say my experience was positive. I used it for about 10k straight. Engine was quieter running with it and mpg was at an all time high... just over 19 mpg average othewise I get 18.5 or a hair more.

I stopped using it simply because of expense and the fact UOA's indicated I needed to do much shorter OCI's.

You're not saying this is due to Mos2 are you? Or does this tie in with the expense formerly mentioned?

You're not saying this is due to Mos2 are you? Or does this tie in with the expense formerly mentioned?

No, certainly not due to the MoS2 I just found out my use was much closer to severe than I expected and I had to drop back to 3,500 mile OCI's. And with the shorter OCI's I didn't feel the MoS2 was a justified expense anymore, although I was using full cans I could have dropped to half cans after the initial application but just didn't for some reason.

No, certainly not due to the MoS2 I just found out my use was much closer to severe than I expected and I had to drop back to 3,500 mile OCI's. And with the shorter OCI's I didn't feel the MoS2 was a justified expense anymore, although I was using full cans I could have dropped to half cans after the initial application but just didn't for some reason.

That definitely makes sense, thanks for clearing that up for me.

Poll wise I'd say my experience was positive. I used it for about 10k straight. Engine was quieter running with it and mpg was at an all time high... just over 19 mpg average othewise I get 18.5 or a hair more. I stopped using it simply because of expense and the fact UOA's indicated I needed to do much shorter OCI's.

If you like the product, have you considered using 1/2 can of MoS2 in the 2nd and subsequent oil changes? Recall that MoS2 stays in your engine, even when you drain your oil. It doesn't stay forever - a couple of oil changes and it's mostly gone. But, the 'maintenance dose' could be much less than the initial dose.

Originally Posted By: dave5358
Poll wise I'd say my experience was positive. I used it for about 10k straight. Engine was quieter running with it and mpg was at an all time high... just over 19 mpg average othewise I get 18.5 or a hair more. I stopped using it simply because of expense and the fact UOA's indicated I needed to do much shorter OCI's.

If you like the product, have you considered using 1/2 can of MoS2 in the 2nd and subsequent oil changes? Recall that MoS2 stays in your engine, even when you drain your oil. It doesn't stay forever - a couple of oil changes and it's mostly gone. But, the 'maintenance dose' could be much less than the initial dose.

Exactly.

I can also attest to the fact that MoS2 does help my M3 with oil burning.

I'm around 2500mi into my current OCI, and the digital oil level gauge has not moved one bit.

I think 1/4 can is a good 'maintenance dose' for 4-5 qt sump, 1/2 can for larger sump with 7-8 qt.

Yes I have considered that and it's probably a very good option. I am about 100 miles away from a UOA on my second run of oil alone and I want to compare the results before deciding which way to go on that.

I'm a very satisfied user and will definitely continue "maintenance" levels of MoS2 in this car. I have decided to add it to our two other new vehicles at their next oil change, and will post any findings here.

As far as the oil filters plugging or the MoS2 settling, I will cut open the curent oil filter at next oil change in about 2k miles. I don't believe there is any settling, as I've checked the oil after the car has sat for a day or two and the MoS2 is still in suspension as the oil on the dipstick is colored by it, and that color doesn't change after it has been driven, which would put into suspension any solids that have settled out. I've wiped the dipstick on the same piece of paper towel both after sitting for an extended period and the coloring is identical, so any settling reflected on the dipstick is below my visual ability to see. I've also put some oil into the MoS2 bottle and then poured that out into a clear container and let it sit for a couple of weeks and there's no settling on the bottom and only a light gradation change in a concentration that is probably tens of times what is actually in the crankcase. So, I'm satisfied that on a frequently driven vehicle, there's no appreciable settling.

I have cut multiple filters open after using MoS2 and compared to others, I'd have to tell you which ones they were you be blind guessing otherwise.

There is only one member here I know of that thinks MoS2 clogs filters...and by his own admission he never even opened the filter and had only used 1/3 of a can to boot. Take that for what it's worth.
crazy.gif

Not only did it clog his filter, apparently the bypass valve was busted too!
laugh.gif
Hah!

Just a quick new question. Assuming that MoS2 works by being forced into irregularities in the metal surfaces and sticks or plates there, is there a known limit for the amount of particles that can accumulate in any irregularity?

I ask because I'm now at 3000 miles into the current oil, and while the initial improvements in smooth running and lowered NVH occurred within the first several hundred miles with slower improvements since, I thought there was a point beyond which there could be no additional benefit.

So, I've been fighting the placebo effect for a while, because even at 3000 miles, the engine continues to feel like it is running more friction-free, with continuing improvements in noise reduction and smooth rev-ability.

So, is my experience typical or atypical?

I have cut multiple filters open after using MoS2 and compared to others, I'd have to tell you which ones they were you be blind guessing otherwise.

There is only one member here I know of that thinks MoS2 clogs filters...and by his own admission he never even opened the filter and had only used 1/3 of a can to boot. Take that for what it's worth.
crazy.gif

Not only did it clog his filter, apparently the bypass valve was busted too!
laugh.gif
Hah!

I cut two open so far and they looked fine. There was no point in posting pics, and then putting up with the negative comments about positive results. Results being no problems to report with the two filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back