First Time Liqui Moly MoS2 Use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changing the oil in my daughter's '06 Civic (1.8L engine). Sump holds 3.9 qts (3.7L)

Have a can of MoS2 all set and, according to the directions, 50ml of the additive per liter

Technically, I should add 6.75 oz of this 10.14 oz can

Any problem with adding the full 10.14 oz?

I'm simply being lazy and don't feel like measuring out the exact dosage and then have 3 oz +/- laying around

I see other users throwing the entire can in there but their sumps are larger

Aside from the waste, any reason why I should NOT do this?

Follow the instructions as there is testing behind it.

If it doesn't work, then the 3oz is useless anyway.

If it does work, then you'll buy it again won't you? So you'll use this 3oz with 3oz from another bottle and so on.

And how little time and money does it take to buy a measuring jug and measure this? Compared to over thinking it, posting a question, reading responses, wondering what to do, and then questioning yourself afterwards and telling us "I wonder if it was because I didn't use the recommended dose"

2/3 of the can now, then the next OCI gets the final 1/3.

So not only do you not waste any, you double the length of the treatment vs dumping it all in at once.

Doesn't have to be perfect - just eyeball it.

No need for that "stuff" in that car.
I had BIG problems with it, other here have not. I would NOT say it is benign.
If you are intent on trying, I would use 1/3 and save the rest for your genset, lawnmower and the like that get abused and have no filttration or oil pump.
I wished someone talked ME out of using this before I made the big mistake on my NEW car with 40$ worth of EDGE w/Ti in it. Im a professional engineer and should have known better.

Problems...? Can you elaborate please?

My intent was to mix it in with the Mobil 1 0W-20 and, after posting initially, found a jug to measure out.

Using a Wix oil filter

Finz, read around, Arco and a few others have had issues with it.... not clear, nor proof too back up said claims. There are a quite a few recent threads on MOS2 lately, lots of good reads.

Many people on this site have used it and it works great.

I would use recommended amount and go from there, no need too worry IMO. I just used some in a 20 year old Ranger with 231xxx miles and its doing fine. Planning on using it in my 3 other vehicles soon as well.

After your done dumping the full can in your crankcase, before you add your oil--dump some of your Mobil 1 into the empty can of MOS2 and shake it up good. There is plenty of residue in the can and get all your moneys worth!! I use it in my Ram & Explorer and luv it!! Initial full can first than half cans every time after!! Give it about 400 miles or soo to reap the benefits!! Good Luck!!
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Used it for the first time in my TL. 4.5 qt sump capacity. Used 1/2 can which falls into the recommended range.

300 miles and counting. No apparent improvement in mpg or quietness. Oil consumption remains to be seen. This car has used 1 qt per 4K miles since new which apparently is not unusual in this engine.

Just estimate to your best ability.

I eneded up pouring about 3/4 into my accord.

Its not going to do magic, its just a top notch additive. As long as you dont put too much or too little it should do this thing.

If you're using quart bottles of oil, pour most of a quart of oil into the engine then add 6-7 oz. of Moly to that bottle. The marks are usually right there so you know how much you added.

Shake the quart bottle and add the whole thing to the engine. No need to buy any special measuring devices.

I am also a newer user of MoS2, starting less than two months ago. Since that time, I've seen a consistent 10% decrease in fuel consumption, and significantly smoother startup and operation of a high mileage motor that had 147k miles on it when the MoS2 was first added. Oil consumption has also decreased by about half in normal driving, though I also seem now to be leaking it more (that may be totally unrelated).

It is most amazing how, after sitting for a couple of days, the motor will crank over with that smooth, lubricated spin like it was warm and had just been shut down. It's a manual transmission vehicle, and there is less engine braking when coasting in gear. Blipping the throttle shows the engine revs faster and drops revs more slowly.

So, I'm a very happy camper.

Originally Posted By: Finz
Changing the oil in my daughter's '06 Civic (1.8L engine). Sump holds 3.9 qts (3.7L) Have a can of MoS2 all set and, according to the directions, 50ml of the additive per liter. Technically, I should add 6.75 oz of this 10.14 oz can. Any problem with adding the full 10.14 oz? I'm simply being lazy and don't feel like measuring out the exact dosage and then have 3 oz +/- laying around. I see other users throwing the entire can in there but their sumps are larger. Aside from the waste, any reason why I should NOT do this?

Aside from a slight increase in the cost of additive used per oil change, I can't see any reason to not use the whole can. Not having a partial can [of anything] on the shelf is also a big incentive.

I like and use MoS2 as an oil additive. I'm curious as to why you wished to start using it. Did you have a specific problem in mind?

Last edited:
Thanks all for your input...

Ran into a snag and haven't yet added it but am just about ready. Alright, I'll admit it: stripped the drain plug. Go ahead and laugh (I'll probably join you tomorrow - too tired now). 35-40 years of changing oil and NOW I decide to pull a rookie move...?!?!?! My next thread...

Dave - thanks for asking: No problems with the car... At least prior to the drain plug debacle. I've been reading posts on here for quite a while and have seen so many positive writings with such good results I just can't see any reason not to try it. I realize there are those who have had a negative experience with this product but they seem to be the exception. Clevy and Brule, among others, have recently noted increased MPG which, of and by itself, is enough of a reason for me. Combined with the potential for less wear..? Seems like a no-brainer.

For $8 every 5,000 miles or so, I figure I have almost nothing to lose but can potentially gain quite a bit... Break even would be a worst-case scenario. If I can pull off even a 1% increase in MPG, it pays for itself

By the way, I measured out my 6+ oz into a to-be-recycled MMO bottle and, as much as I hate partially filled bottles on the shelf, I figured I'd follow the directions (for a change). So for the poster who suggested the spent qt bottle of oil... Good call.

Have you been using MoS2 for a while now? Can you add any personal benefits you've noted?

Injured ... I'm being lazy by not checking your original thread but how many miles have you logged to date? Was 500 miles the magic number for you as well before you noticed the improvements?

I have to go back to an earlier post from Clevy... I think he mentioned that he took a long, steady drive almost immediately after pouring MoS2 into the sump and wished he hadn't for he felt a number of heat-up-the-engine, then cool, then heat, then cool, might have been a more effective way to help the product "plate"

I could be way off here so put the pitchforks down... Been a long day and the memory ain't what it used to be.

Did you "drive" any particular way at the onset?

Thanks all for your input...

Ran into a snag and haven't yet added it but am just about ready. Alright, I'll admit it: stripped the drain plug. Go ahead and laugh (I'll probably join you tomorrow - too tired now). 35-40 years of changing oil and NOW I decide to pull a rookie move...?!?!?! My next thread...

Dave - thanks for asking: No problems with the car... At least prior to the drain plug debacle. I've been reading posts on here for quite a while and have seen so many positive writings with such good results I just can't see any reason not to try it. I realize there are those who have had a negative experience with this product but they seem to be the exception. Clevy and Brule, among others, have recently noted increased MPG which, of and by itself, is enough of a reason for me. Combined with the potential for less wear..? Seems like a no-brainer.

For $8 every 5,000 miles or so, I figure I have almost nothing to lose but can potentially gain quite a bit... Break even would be a worst-case scenario. If I can pull off even a 1% increase in MPG, it pays for itself

By the way, I measured out my 6+ oz into a to-be-recycled MMO bottle and, as much as I hate partially filled bottles on the shelf, I figured I'd follow the directions (for a change). So for the poster who suggested the spent qt bottle of oil... Good call.

Have you been using MoS2 for a while now? Can you add any personal benefits you've noted?

I've been using it for years. I've never had it not help fuel consumption.
I've always added the whole can unless the sump was larger than 5 quarts,then I added more than a full can.
I've never had any problems using it. I've torn apart a couple motors that were treated with it and the cam lobes were slick to the touch even years later.
I just treated my charger last weekend. I've got over 500 miles on it now. Car vibrates less,feels different.

Thanks all for your input... Have you been using MoS2 for a while now? Can you add any personal benefits you've noted?

I've been using it since the 1970's. Back then, VW of America bought it from Dow-Corning and sold it through their dealerships for addition to air cooled engines (which shared an oil supply with the transmission - probably not VW's best idea). Most VW dealers did not stock it (and therefore did not add it to the oil) but at least you could order it.

It reduces heat. It reduces oil consumption. It is really great for cold starts - better than a pre-oiler, IMHO. I haven't noticed that much fuel savings, but it should help in that area as well. Engines like it - they'll run forever. I can't think of a downside, except that the VW product was very messy (and the plastic tip of the tube could drop into your engine). The Liqui-Moly product is not black in color - not sure how they pulled that off, since the raw material as mined and refined very much resembles graphite.

Originally Posted By: dave5358
Thanks all for your input... Have you been using MoS2 for a while now? Can you add any personal benefits you've noted?

I've been using it since the 1970's. Back then, VW of America bought it from Dow-Corning and sold it through their dealerships for addition to air cooled engines (which shared an oil supply with the transmission - probably not VW's best idea). Most VW dealers did not stock it (and therefore did not add it to the oil) but at least you could order it.

It reduces heat. It reduces oil consumption. It is really great for cold starts - better than a pre-oiler, IMHO. I haven't noticed that much fuel savings, but it should help in that area as well. Engines like it - they'll run forever. I can't think of a downside, except that the VW product was very messy (and the plastic tip of the tube could drop into your engine). The Liqui-Moly product is not black in color - not sure how they pulled that off, since the raw material as mined and refined very much resembles graphite.

Huh?
Its definitely black.

Injured ... I'm being lazy by not checking your original thread but how many miles have you logged to date? Was 500 miles the magic number for you as well before you noticed the improvements?

I have to go back to an earlier post from Clevy... I think he mentioned that he took a long, steady drive almost immediately after pouring MoS2 into the sump and wished he hadn't for he felt a number of heat-up-the-engine, then cool, then heat, then cool, might have been a more effective way to help the product "plate"

I could be way off here so put the pitchforks down... Been a long day and the memory ain't what it used to be.

Finz,

I have probably 1300-1500 miles now since adding the Mos2. Clevy is spot on - it took a little bit before I saw improvements, which became noticeable maybe around 100 miles in, and the immediately noticeable improvements continued to 500-600 miles. I think even this far out, I'm still getting improvements but that may be because of the high mileage that my engine already has. The plating may be helping raise compression because I seem to feel a bit more power at full throttle. But other than taking a long'ish drive right off the bat, I didn't really do anything different.

Because this is my daily driver and I have a pretty set routine, the driving my car gets is pretty similar. Our summer weather has been really consistent as well. In the few tanks since the big improvements, mileage has gone up from a range of 27.2 to 28.2, to a range of about 29.5 to 30.3.

I'm a little tempted to add the Mos2 to the two other vehicles my wife and I drive, but they are both low mileage at 20k and 38k, and both engines are very smoothly running and have lived a life with Mobil 1 so I will probably leave them both alone for the time being.

Last edited:
In my particular application, I can tell a difference in having running an oil with moly like PYB or QSGB versus oils without such as PP, G-Oil, and QSUD. In my case it is the smoothness of the engine at idle and the quickness of the classic Subaru tick and/or piston slap disappearing as the engine comes up to temp.

I'm using the last of my PYB for a 5000 OCI right now (conservative, but easy to remember) and have 2 10,000 runs planned on QSUD. MoS2 will be going in for this. I'm hoping to see any MPG change (as the differences between conventional and synthetic have been white noise levels) but will be content if I keep the "conventional with moly smooth" feel on these extended synthetic runs.

Originally Posted By: Injured_Again

Finz,

I have probably 1300-1500 miles now since adding the Mos2. Clevy is spot on - it took a little bit before I saw improvements, which became noticeable maybe around 100 miles in, and the immediately noticeable improvements continued to 500-600 miles. I think even this far out, I'm still getting improvements but that may be because of the high mileage that my engine already has. The plating may be helping raise compression because I seem to feel a bit more power at full throttle. But other than taking a long'ish drive right off the bat, I didn't really do anything different.

Because this is my daily driver and I have a pretty set routine, the driving my car gets is pretty similar. Our summer weather has been really consistent as well. In the few tanks since the big improvements, mileage has gone up from a range of 27.2 to 28.2, to a range of about 29.5 to 30.3.

I'm a little tempted to add the Mos2 to the two other vehicles my wife and I drive, but they are both low mileage at 20k and 38k, and both engines are very smoothly running and have lived a life with Mobil 1 so I will probably leave them both alone for the time being.

The sooner you add it the better. Your miata is reverting to like new because of the reduction of friction. Why not keep a new engine new longer,never losing any performance over time.
I put mos2 into my 106 right after break in. Those pistons are huge,ring seal is questionable at start up but no consumption whatsoever.
Keep a new engine like new forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back