FINISHING IN THE SUN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most products used for paint finishing discourage them being used in the sun. Why? Is it that sun has a magic that will change the molecules in the product or is it because the surface temperature might be too hot. I’m in a situation where my work involves a vehicle that can’t be moved, but doesn’t get warm from the sun, less than 100 degrees, until about 9AM this time of the year which allows a couple hours work time before switching sides. This OK? TIA

My take - two things, solvent action and time to bond.

There is a kinetic process that must occur where the wax/sealant adsorbs or bonds onto the surface. The products are sold with some kind of solvent in them to allow good mobility of the active product to be spread and adhered to the surfaces.

If you put it on a hot surface, the solvent will flash too fast, causing a powdery mess that may or may not bond properly, and could cause streaks, microscratches, etc.

Originally Posted By: visch1
Most products used for paint finishing discourage them being used in the sun. Why? Is it that sun has a magic that will change the molecules in the product or is it because the surface temperature might be too hot. I’m in a situation where my work involves a vehicle that can’t be moved, but doesn’t get warm from the sun, less than 100 degrees, until about 9AM this time of the year which allows a couple hours work time before switching sides. This OK? TIA

If temperature is below 100 degrees I would think that would work well. Even in the summer, in a garage, the temperature of a car should be around 80 degrees. Just guessing her.

Last edited:
I've noticed a few manufacturers who say its ok to apply in the sun. Duragloss is one of them.

Thanks for the response. The project is a motor home which consists of the chassis cab and the coach made of painted fiberglass and gel coated FG. I can’t do large sections at a time so will use my accurate infrared thermometer to work below 90sh temps. over a period of time.

Oh, I bet that'll be fun. I've helped a friend out ONCE doing that, washing, drying, waxing... No way would I do it again! You might get away with parking it North/South and doing one side in the AM and the other in the PM. Parking it near a tree would be nice. Just a thought.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
I know some PoorBoys products say it's OK to use in sun or shade. Polish with Carnuba Blue does.

All the Poorboys products are okay for use in the sun. I would suspect Chemical Guys is the same. It also highly depends on the color. A white/silver car doesn't get all that hot in the sun. A red, green, blue, or black one is another story.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: visch1
Thanks for the response. The project is a motor home which consists of the chassis cab and the coach made of painted fiberglass and gel coated FG. I can’t do large sections at a time so will use my accurate infrared thermometer to work below 90sh temps. over a period of time.

In that case Duragloss has a RV polish thats loaded with cleaners and a durable sealant for protection. I think its #501 if I'm not mistaken. Available on amazon, autogeek.net and duragloss.com .

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
NuFinish is good to use in sun or shade. I prefer shade because the sun is to dam hot....lol

I perfer the shade also while using Nu Finish..I generally go a store that has covered parking if I do it during the day.

Originally Posted By: cchase
In my experience, if the paint is too hot you'll know it when you go to take the wax off.

Yes, that's the problem I face when waxing vehicle in the summer here in Phoenix. Even in the carport totally out of the sun, the surface gets too hot by 10am, so I usually start waxing about 6am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back