Feral Pigs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
I look at these wild bores the same way. They are a menace, out of control, and somebody is having some fun taking care of that problem with a large-calibre rifle.

It's a case of mistaken identity. Don't harm the bores.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
I agree with you doitmyself. I believe in managing wildlife properly. I have nothing against these feral pigs. They just need to be maintained in their proper range and at the correct level of population. Right now they are becoming a serious problem in areas where they don't normally live.

I have seen a lot of wildlife. It would be a sorry world if all of the wildlife disappeared. I enjoy seeing wildlife. I would never kill something just for 'fun.' And I am not anti-hunter or anything like that. I am just a typical Colorado person.

Some day if humans ever become wise, they might learn to live with the natural world. Instead of driving many species of animals to near extinction and burning down the rainforests.

Did you not read the thread? These pigs have no "natural range" and their "correct level of population" is 0. There are no areas where they "normally live." This group of animals NEEDS TO BE driven to extinction on this continent and that's what we're trying to do BECAUSE we "enjoy seeing wildlife" just like you, but we're practical about it. That's called "managing wildlife properly."

This has nothing to do with burning down the rainforest. I have no idea where that came from.

The Javelina certainly is native to the United States. If these feral pigs are completely non-native and so destructive then that is a problem that needs to be taken care of. If it can be taken care of-these feral pigs are really out of control.

You asked where the burning of the rainforest came from? Well, I am going to tell you. Some people here were talking about human beings being the top of everything and in charge of nature. Human beings are not in charge of nature. Human beings are a part of nature. If human beings damage the ecology of this planet badly enough, human beings will die also. Ask any biologist. They can explain all of that to you.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
I agree with you doitmyself. I believe in managing wildlife properly. I have nothing against these feral pigs. They just need to be maintained in their proper range and at the correct level of population. Right now they are becoming a serious problem in areas where they don't normally live.

I have seen a lot of wildlife. It would be a sorry world if all of the wildlife disappeared. I enjoy seeing wildlife. I would never kill something just for 'fun.' And I am not anti-hunter or anything like that. I am just a typical Colorado person.

Some day if humans ever become wise, they might learn to live with the natural world. Instead of driving many species of animals to near extinction and burning down the rainforests.

Did you not read the thread? These pigs have no "natural range" and their "correct level of population" is 0. There are no areas where they "normally live." This group of animals NEEDS TO BE driven to extinction on this continent and that's what we're trying to do BECAUSE we "enjoy seeing wildlife" just like you, but we're practical about it. That's called "managing wildlife properly."

This has nothing to do with burning down the rainforest. I have no idea where that came from.

Exactly. BTW, black squirrels are not indigenous to Canada either.

I don't go out and randomly kill things. If it is a pest, causing damage, I have no problem taking care of it, and I don't feel bad about doing so either.

In the case of the squirrels, there were so many of them, it turned into a bit of a game. And I enjoyed it. I would guess that the same applies with these pigs. There are so bloody many of them.... It isn't like hunting something that is hard to get. There is no "skill" involved in hunting a pest. No technique. It isn't "hunting" in the traditional sense. If the goal is extermination, then I guess it really isn't "hunting" at all. Rather, it is pest control. So I don't think the same rules of "conservation and preservation" apply here.

Originally Posted By: Volvo_ST1
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
I look at these wild bores the same way. They are a menace, out of control, and somebody is having some fun taking care of that problem with a large-calibre rifle.

It's a case of mistaken identity. Don't harm the bores.

I see what you did there
wink.gif
When is a boar not a boar? When it's a bore
grin.gif

The Javelina certainly is native to the United States. If these feral pigs are completely non-native and so destructive then that is a problem that needs to be taken care of. If it can be taken care of-these feral pigs are really out of control.

You asked where the burning of the rainforest came from? Well, I am going to tell you. Some people here were talking about human beings being the top of everything and in charge of nature. Human beings are not in charge of nature. Human beings are a part of nature. If human beings damage the ecology of this planet badly enough, human beings will die also. Ask any biologist. They can explain all of that to you.

Well, humans are the problem, which is why we need to deal with the hogs. People brought them here, they got loose, and now they tear stuff up. Mean pigs raising [censored] in the woods is a good example of humans damaging ecology...it makes sense that humans should try to correct it. The mean razorback hogs are of European origin.

Last edited:
Humans most definitely are the problem. If the feral pigs are not native to any part of the United States, then they do need to be dealt with (if that is even going to be possible-it is proving very difficult).

Some people think that humans are at the top of everything. Well, humans are not ready to be in charge. Tumbleweeds are not native to the USA. People brought them in. Dutch Elm Disease was brought in by people and it killed many of the American Elm trees (Dutch Elm Disease is from Asia by the way). There used to be Jaguars living in the extreme southern part of the USA.

Human beings are not wise enough to be in charge. Humans are a part of nature just like all the animals, plants, etc.

No, I am not, obviously, saying that human beings need to be eradicated. I am saying that human beings cause a lot of problems. The Universe did just fine for billions of years before human beings arrived. And the Earth did just fine for billions of years before human beings developed into what they are today. And yet some humans think that human beings are above nature.

If these feral pigs are not native to any part of the USA, obviously human beings are responsible for them being here.

But anyway, the feral pigs have become a big problem and that problem has to be taken care of. These feral pigs are spreading to several states. We need to develop some sort of humane program of control or perhaps eradication of these feral pigs.

I have nothing against hunting. I just do not like when some people seem to get a thrill out of killing something. I am not a hunter, but if I had to hunt to stay alive I would. Perhaps some people here have a problem understanding what I am saying.

There is a man where I work who is a hunter. He told me one day he was out hunting (for elk or deer, I can't remember) and he saw a coyote running along some distance away from him. He shot the coyote in the head and took a picture of it. He showed me the picture. He had no reason for shooting the coyote.

I have no problem with somebody getting a hunting license and hunting elk or deer. But I have a problem with somebody killing for no reason and just for kicks. Do you understand me now?

Wild pigs need water....heavier rainfall higher population growth.

Weather pattern plays a part...

Mystic, I'm just busting your balls; I don't like indiscriminate killing, either. That said, I would kill every single Feral Hog I came into contact with, without chuckling through the process.

No, I am not, obviously, saying that human beings need to be eradicated. I am saying that human beings cause a lot of problems. The Universe did just fine for billions of years before human beings arrived. And the Earth did just fine for billions of years before human beings developed into what they are today. And yet some humans think that human beings are above nature.

If these feral pigs are not native to any part of the USA, obviously human beings are responsible for them being here.

But anyway, the feral pigs have become a big problem and that problem has to be taken care of. These feral pigs are spreading to several states. We need to develop some sort of humane program of control or perhaps eradication of these feral pigs.

I have nothing against hunting. I just do not like when some people seem to get a thrill out of killing something. I am not a hunter, but if I had to hunt to stay alive I would. Perhaps some people here have a problem understanding what I am saying.

There is a man where I work who is a hunter. He told me one day he was out hunting (for elk or deer, I can't remember) and he saw a coyote running along some distance away from him. He shot the coyote in the head and took a picture of it. He showed me the picture. He had no reason for shooting the coyote.

I have no problem with somebody getting a hunting license and hunting elk or deer. But I have a problem with somebody killing for no reason and just for kicks. Do you understand me now?

Perhaps you guys will better understand me if I reply to this, since I think your example is a good one.

If I were hunting and saw that coyote, I wouldn't have shot it. I would feel no reason to, and if I was with somebody who did, I would be bothered by their actions.

However, if that coyote was terrorizing my neighborhood, and had perhaps killed a neighbor's cat... I would shoot it and enjoy killing it.

I have no moral hangups on taking care of something that is a pest or nuisance. I do however have an issue with killing something that is harmless for no reason.

These feral pigs may all have to be killed off. They are dangerous to humans and animals and destructive to crops. I would kill one myself if there was one near me and I felt threatened. But I would not take a phtograph and gleefully go around showing everybody I knew the photograph of the feral pig I had killed.

I remember one day at the range I heard coyotes somewhere nearby. If one of those coyotes had come close to me and threatened me I would have shot it. But it was very unlikely that a coyote, unless it had lost its fear of humans, would threaten an adult human being. A child, maybe-but not an adult. People who have never been around wildlife do not understand. And it is impossible to explain to anybody who has lived all their life in a city and never really had any experience with wildlife.

It is very unlikely that a coyote, or a mountain lion, or a bear is going to kill you in a forest. If you die in a forest it is more likely because of exposure. Most wild animals have a fear of humans. Humans are the ones that will kill without reason.

Saw on TV show tonight that feral pigs did $50 million in damage in Texas alone in one year. They destroy crops, and all kinds of stuff. They are making it hard for the native species of animals to find food. Someday there may be no deer left, there will only be aggressive wild hogs. They need to come up with solutions and fast.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02

I agree with you.
thumbsup2.gif

This is a pretty interesting thread. I know the relationship between humans and the hog goes way back in time. Odysseus, legend says, had a scar on his leg from hunting a boar and in the American South a few still hunt them the old way, with dog and spear, like the ancient Greeks did. Humans domesticated pigs maybe 7000 years ago.

I am more fascinated though by the story of dogs. People had dogs at least 15,000 years ago and possibly 100,000 years ago. An old retired colonel and I like to talk about stuff like this. I bet one reason that modern humans were able to displace the Neanderthals was that the moderns had dogs, which were awfully helpful animals.

Pigs though, were not as helpful and a pig is like a cat; it can be a lot more independent.

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
Pigs though, were not as helpful and a pig is like a cat; it can be a lot more independent.

Pigs' usefulness as meat source primarily come from the exact reason why they are problems in the wild. They eat everything and they are fairly tough. My parents back in the days used to feed pigs with left over and "anything with calories in it" but not that tasty to human. Growing up fast with lots of meat helps too.

About the human problem, stupid humans are the problem. We have feral pigs, pythons, who knows how many feral fish in the United States. I wish the stupid humans that introduced these animals into the wild would be smart enough to hang themselves.

"Hang themselves"?

Wow.

The pigs were introduced by many long dead Spaniards.

I watched some of those pig series shows. Wow I really am starting to hate TV drama junk. Worse than usual. A couple of the examples, they should have just dispatched the pigs with guns. A woman with a knife and pack of dogs - all to avoid a gun on TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back