Feral Pigs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Lurch
I saw about 3 hours of a very interesting TV show a while back called Hogs Gone Wild. It was about men that hunted and captured wild hogs [feral pigs in the USA], and if they got into danger they would stab the hog in the heart. If these things are so much of a nuisance and multiplying so much, why did they bother to tie them up and capture them to presumably release them somewhere else? I HATE these darn things. I'd like to see hunters put .44 Magnum slugs into the heads of these beasts.

Need to do that for Canadian Geese as well.

Shoot a Goose in the head with a .44? Wow!

Originally Posted By: expat
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I saw about 3 hours of a very interesting TV show a while back called Hogs Gone Wild. It was about men that hunted and captured wild hogs [feral pigs in the USA], and if they got into danger they would stab the hog in the heart. If these things are so much of a nuisance and multiplying so much, why did they bother to tie them up and capture them to presumably release them somewhere else? I HATE these darn things. I'd like to see hunters put .44 Magnum slugs into the heads of these beasts.

Need to do that for Canadian Geese as well.

Shoot a Goose in the head with a .44? Wow!

LOL, whatever works. Im not a fan of the geese anymore as they will charge and attack you.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
when we hunt hogs here in Fl I carry a Ruger Blackhawk and an old carbine of matching caliber.

One shot in the right place will drop them instantly.

Which caliber? (just curious) - thanks, P

My research has indicated that any rifle in .30 cal. and larger is sufficient. I'm thinking if Feral Pigs ever become a problem in my neck of the woods, I'll aquire a good rifle in .458 Winchester Magnum, "just in case". Overkill is under-rated.

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne

My research has indicated that any rifle in .30 cal. and larger is sufficient. I'm thinking if Feral Pigs ever become a problem in my neck of the woods, I'll aquire a good rifle in .458 Winchester Magnum, "just in case". Overkill is under-rated.

lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif
lol.gif

SKS/SKK was the most generally popular pig rifles downunder (350,000 were trashed in the gun buyback).

Most of the guys who used them either bought a Norinco Bushranger to get rid of their ammo stocks, or switched back to a .30-30 lever action which a lot of them had before the SKS anyway.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
Originally Posted By: CivicFan

Let them be. They don't bother anyone.

If you call tearing up crops, landscapes, lawns, killing pets, Lowering property value, intimidating people, making people afraid to go out onto their own property at night, threatening children, hurting humans, pooping all over the place, contaminating ponds and drinking water with anthrax, brucellosis, pseudorabies, tuberculosis, and other potentially fatal pathogens not bothering anyone, and there many other ways they bother humans that I can't think of. They can wipe out whole dairy herds just by pooping in their drinking water.

If I owned a gun and lived in the country, I'd shoot any/every one of these beasts I came across with no second thought.

People on ATV-s do the same thing. Do you propose to hunt them, too?

The fact is that we live in areas that used to be home to a lot of wildlife. We are the invaders, not them, so we should recognize this.
Did I miss something isnt man, still on top of the food chain. People like you aggrevate me. Wildlife or animals have no rights to anything. We rule this planet, until someone or something else comes along and knocks us off our throne. People like you are probably delighted when a person is killed by a bear, because you feel somehow, a wild stupid beast is justified. What good are vast areas of woods that man can not even set foot in, they make Great forrest fires, when lightning strikes a tree and ignites years of brush on the ground. Then all of a sudden its mans problem again.

I care about the environment. I live in Colorado and I love the mountains and the forests. I think human beings and the animals of this planet need to live together.

But these feral pigs are destructive to crops and dangerous to both humans and animals. They need to be keep under control within their normal range. They are rapidly spreading throughout many states in the United States and they are out of control. They have to be brought under control.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I'll ask you again Panzerman...where do you go on holidys to relax ?

the mall carpark ?
I never relax, thats what the enviromentalists are outside hiding in the trees waiting for me to do, so they can kidnap me and turn me into a hippie.

when we hunt hogs here in Fl I carry a Ruger Blackhawk and an old carbine of matching caliber.

.50BMG ? LOL!

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

.50BMG ? LOL!

Well, apparently this is effective, LOL!

boarkoloa009uo0.jpg

.50BMG ? LOL!

Well, apparently this is effective, LOL!

boarkoloa009uo0.jpg

I can't wait to show videos of my nephew Michael shooting squirrels and stray cats with his new .22 Browning. Unfortunately they don't have wild hogs where he lives. Probably could kill only piglets with the .22 anyway.

Overkill, I am an avid hunter, fisher, conservationist, and enjoy the shooting sports (both firearms and archery). Your pictures and videos certainly don't do any good for our cause. Men laughing at blowing apart a living animal is offensive and does not represent what many of us enjoy about the outdoors. Your posts remind me of the scene from Dancing With Wolves when they come up on the buffalo slaughtered by white men for their hides only. The meat is left to rot, with no reverence for our connection to the land.

Don't take me wrong. I am not against managing wildlife. But, even the whackmaster, Ted Nugent, portrays this subject matter better than your contribution.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Overkill, I am an avid hunter, fisher, conservationist, and enjoy the shooting sports (both firearms and archery). Your pictures and videos certainly don't do any good for our cause. Men laughing at blowing apart a living animal is offensive and does not represent what many of us enjoy about the outdoors. Your posts remind me of the scene from Dancing With Wolves when they come up on the buffalo slaughtered by white men for their hides only. The meat is left to rot, with no reverence for our connection to the land.

Don't take me wrong. I am not against managing wildlife. Even the whackmaster, Ted Nugent, portrays this subject matter better.

Well, I found those on Google in about 10 seconds. The surely aren't from me, since I live in Canada, and we don't have a wild bore problem.

I love fishing and definitely enjoy shooting (firearms and archery) like yourself...

BUT

When I was growing up we had a massive squirrel problem at our cottage. It wasn't uncommon to knock off 7 or 8 of them in the course of a day. They were a menace, and quite frankly I enjoyed killing them because of that.

I look at these wild bores the same way. They are a menace, out of control, and somebody is having some fun taking care of that problem with a large-calibre rifle. I'd enjoy it too.

It is messy, but they sure as heck aren't suffering. In fact, aside from the mess, if you have no intentions of eating these things (which the guy in the video obviously doesn't) I can't see a more humane way of killing them.

Plinking away at them with a small calibre gun "for sport", wounding it, making it angry? That is more humane? Or blasting it with one huge shot which instantly kills it?

We aren't talking about hunting something that is to be eaten here. We are talking about hunting a menace, in volume, with the intention being elimination. For that cause, I would say this is extremely effective.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
somebody is having some fun taking care of that problem........quite frankly I enjoyed killing them because of that

This is where we differ in our values. I don't experience any enjoyment in the act of killing things, whether it's the mice I eliminate out of our home or the trees that I harvest during my workday.

I have hunted with guys that like to pop anything that moves, song birds, chipmunks, whatever. The laughter that follows upon blowing them to pieces annoys me.

I guess my early education of Aldo Leopold's A Sand County Almanac has had a lasting influence on me.

To those who have "fun" killing things, so be it and "to each, their own" (no self righteousness from me). I have a deeper respect for everything that I live with.

For the record, I think shooting clay pigeons is dumb too. I have never been able to figure out how to cook them until tender.

Last edited:
I agree with you doitmyself. I believe in managing wildlife properly. I have nothing against these feral pigs. They just need to be maintained in their proper range and at the correct level of population. Right now they are becoming a serious problem in areas where they don't normally live.

I have seen a lot of wildlife. It would be a sorry world if all of the wildlife disappeared. I enjoy seeing wildlife. I would never kill something just for 'fun.' And I am not anti-hunter or anything like that. I am just a typical Colorado person.

Some day if humans ever become wise, they might learn to live with the natural world. Instead of driving many species of animals to near extinction and burning down the rainforests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back