Fayetteville, NC, PD switching to 9mm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Astro14
ROI is precisely why I find the Norfolk PD's decision interesting.

What's the ROI? It's not cheaper ammo, greater capacity, better marksmanship or any of the other benefits of 9mm. It's a deliberate shift away from a 9mm Glock to a .45 ACP Glock. The Gen 4 mitigates some of the negatives (grip size, recoil, etc.) with improved ergonomics, but it seems clear to me that preponderance of the decision rested with better individual round performance...

Well we mention PDs, but isnt that the big, long-standing argument for the military-issue sidearm? Went from .45ACP to 9mm, because the Beretta M9 was supposedly better... But then there are reports of SOCOM returning to .45 (and others) and the Army having an industry day to start the process of the new handgun "system", which IIRC is vetting .40, .45 and the .357sig (which would be the only way that the sig ammo would become cost effective).

Id think that the military will have a much greater data set to go off of than all the PDs combined, since violent crime and shootings seem to keep dropping. I suppose the military doesnt have to deal as much with massively drugged up folks, so hopped up chemically that their bodies do amazing things... But then again, they may...

Before the 45acp we had a 38 Long Colt (pretty much a 9mm bullet), and before that we had the 45 Long Colt. Seems we bounce back and forth.

The 357 Sig will still have the same limitations as the 9mm NATO in my opinion. It will still overpenetrate because it is limited to a FMJ due to the rules of war.

If we go to a different round I think the 40 will win because it will have a larger bullet but superior capacity. But who knows...maybe the nostalgia will be an advantage to the old 45acp though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back