Favorite Album of All Time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Take a load of Fanny and put it right on me" If you start thinking about music, you realize that every piece of music you like actually defines a period of your life. I think it's almost impossible for any individual to hear a piece of music from their past and not start reflecting about both the good and the bad things that happened to one during those years.

Even the worst song on the Beatles White Album would be a #1 hit today.

Today's music (overall) just plain sux. #1 hits today would not make the Top-50 years ago.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
Originally Posted By: doitmyself
I'm coming out of the closet! I like John Denver
lol.gif
10.gif
...especially the less commercial songs and what he did outside his singing career, despite his human flaws.

I like John Denver too!

Nothing at all wrong with John Denver. He was criticized for being too light and fluffy but the guy was a true talent and made some beautiful music. I can't listen to 'Sunshine on My Shoulders' without getting a little misty thinking about being a kid growing up in the 70's.

Barry Manilow is awesome also. He and other artists like him get very little respect nowadays which is unfortunate.

I recently started listening to my old Manilow 45s I had when I was a kid. Daybreak,Copacabana,Can't Smile Without You. Manilow was a 70s soft rock genius!! Thinking he was produced (at least early on) by bubblegum god Ron Dante of the Archie's fame. Daybreak is such a killer song!!

The last album I played from beginning to end was Gerry Rafferty's "City to City". That is definitely one of my fave albums of all time. My parents bought it for me when I was probably 8 or 9 years old. I still love that album to this day!!

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Originally Posted By: doitmyself
I'm coming out of the closet! I like John Denver
lol.gif
10.gif
...especially the less commercial songs and what he did outside his singing career, despite his human flaws. Neglecting to address fuel levels in a plane? I also take quite a bit of ribbing while listening to the Beach Boys, but I tell everyone it's about appreciating Brian Wilson's creative abilities, not the stereotype beach girls surfing.
Right on do it. I enjoy those myself. Also like the Eagles. "it's a girl my lord in a flatbed Ford(should have used flathead) slowing down to take a look at me." .How did they sound that good stoned out of their minds on who knows what?

I have to admit I like a lot of stuff that many people would laugh at too. For instance, Olivia Newton John is one of my favorite all time female artists. She had some really good music. I also like Bread...I think Guitar Man is one of the best songs ever written...

Look up Bread's "Cover Me Babe". It's from the soundtrack to the movie "Cover Me Babe" (1970 I think). I'm in disbelief as to why to this day it STILL remains unreleased.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Pink Floyd the wall

Agreed! Wonderful album. IT takes top honors.

And, I make it THREE.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Sacrament by Lamb of God.

A fellow Lamb of God fan!! My favorite album of theirs is "Ashes of the Wake", Chris Adler is a great drummer!!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Originally Posted By: anonobomber
Summoning - Old Mornings Dawn

Nice obscure pick. I actually prefer Summoning - Stronghold (1999)

For me it would have to be Metallica - Ride The Lightning - I wore it out on vinyl. The production was amazing by 1984 standards. Listening to a lot of Swedish metal these days - Dark Tranquillity, In Flames, Amon Amarth, At the Gates ...and Finland too - Mors Principium Est, Rapture, Insomnium, Children of Bodom and of course the even more obscure "Nocturnal Winds - Everlasting Fall-1999" - so much good music - so little time.

You sound like my kinda guy
laugh.gif

Stronghold is great, but I like Old Mornings Dawn better.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger

A fellow Lamb of God fan!! My favorite album of theirs is "Ashes of the Wake", Chris Adler is a great drummer!!!!!!!

I knew I wouldn't be the only one! Ashes of the Wake is good, but they became fully realized in Sacrament.

Their new one delivers on all fronts as well.

Chris Adler wrote and performed the drums on Megadeth's new album, if you're a fan.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: clinebarger

I knew I wouldn't be the only one! Ashes of the Wake is good, but they became fully realized in Sacrament.

Their new one delivers on all fronts as well.

Chris Adler wrote and performed the drums on Megadeth's new album, if you're a fan.

Megadeth fan since '85! My favorite album is Rust in Peace, Still have the original '90 CD that I bought new.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Even the worst song on the Beatles White Album would be a #1 hit today.

Today's music (overall) just plain sux. #1 hits today would not make the Top-50 years ago.

I agree 100%...apparently the music writing gene doesn't get passed on...

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
If you start thinking about music, you realize that every piece of music you like actually defines a period of your life.

That may be so. Listening to Pink Floyd Animals always brings me back in time.

Interestingly, though. There are songs I've never heard by my favorite bands and others with similar style. And, I like them as much as the old stuff. The style is the same, and therefore, sits well with me.

I'm an old guy, classic rock was my music. Yet, I like Shinedown too, a lot. The style matches my tastes.

Originally Posted By: vikings916
Favorite album: Metallica - Master of Puppets

Favorite song: Black Sabbath - Heaven and H@ll

Speaking of 'puppets, did you hear it got inducted into the Library of Congress - National Recording Registry?

http://www.metalinjection.net/latest-new...ording-registry

Quote:
The third release by the band Metallica shows the group moving away from its thrash metal history and reputation and exploring new ideas. Thrash, a reaction against the pop metal of the early 1980s, aimed to renew metal by emphasizing speed and aggression. For example, the song "Battery" on this album—with rhythm guitarist James Hetfield's galloping power chords, Lars Ulrich's machine-gun drumming, and lead guitarist Kirk Hammet's blinding tapped leads—is as rousing an example of the sub-genre as one could find and the technical proficiency is astonishing. However, other songs on the record break free of thrash orthodoxy. Cliff Burton's clean bass lines, volume swells, and careful harmonies, for example, on "Orion," set that song apart from the standard metal song. The title track starts unsurprisingly enough with a crisp power chord and catchy riff, but halfway through, the tempo slows and a clean arpeggiated progression, accompanied by cello-like tones, introduces Hetfield's mid-tempo lead which eschews tapping, sweep picking and, other metal guitar techniques. Black Sabbath bassist and lyricist Geezer Butler has commented that Metallica's 1980s output brought the music "back to the spirit of [Black] Sabbath" and, he further emphasizes, "If we started it, then [Metallica] reinvented it."

thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back