Failing Emissions Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having a hard time trying to pass our aircare test with my SHO.

Originally after I bought the car, I took it through the test, and failed on Hydrocarbons only.

The readings are:
HC g/km= 0.7553 MAX 0.5000 FAIL
CO g/km= 2.1388 MAX 9.3200 PASS
NOx g/km= 1.0371 MAX 1.2400 PASS

So I proceeded to do a full tuneup, seafoam (worst seafoam i've ever done) plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter, Pennzoil Ultra oil change, no PCV valve on this car (factory).
Someone also told me to put a litre of methyl hydrate in the tank to mask the HC's. I think it boosted my NOx's instead.

I then tried again, and it got worse.

HC g/km= 0.8558 MAX 0.5000 FAIL
CO g/km= 3.2470 MAX 9.3200 PASS
NOx g/km= 1.2483 MAX 1.2400 FAIL

Now I just realized that the previous owner was using 87 octane 10% ethanol, and that's the gas that I have been testing with. I've now got a full tank of 92 octane ethanol free. Could using the wrong gas cause different readings on a car designed for premium fuel?

The only other thing I haven't tried yet is changing the O2 sensors. With the age on them, they probably could be done and bump my readings down a bit.

If I do that, should I reset the computer again? (I did it after the tune up so that it can relearn the mixtures, then I took it for a 60km drive.) Does the EEC-IV have a drivecycle to get the leanest mixture? That could be also why I didn't pass, maybe I didn't drive it long enough.

Other thing I could think of is the Catalytic converters. There's 3 of them on this car. Not looking forward to the cost of replacing those.

Firs thing to clarify, since you did pretty bad on everything, was the car fully warmed up, 20min + of driving. Also, how long did you wait for the e-test, if it's more than 5 mninutes, the tech should let the car idle for 10mins or so before hooking up the machine.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Firs thing to clarify, since you did pretty bad on everything, was the car fully warmed up, 20min + of driving. Also, how long did you wait for the e-test, if it's more than 5 mninutes, the tech should let the car idle for 10mins or so before hooking up the machine.

I drove the car about 60km after the tune up (highway), and that equaled to about an hour of driving in rush hour stop and go traffic.

This time for the etest I waited about 20 min. Usually it's 5-10, but I only got there towards the end of the day.

The car isn't showing symptoms of a plugged, inefficient or broken catalytic converter. Car takes off like a bat out of [censored] like a Taurus SHO is designed to. No smell of a rotten egg, and there is no rattling.

If the car is worth keeping, get an oe converter. Aftermarket is junk from experience... Check my old threads on performance.

So, after waiting for 20mins they just took your car in and did the test?

If that's the case these guys are doing it on purpose, most cars will be close to failure when they're tested pretty much cold, did they by any chance offer tune-ups and other stuff to ensure you pass?

Next time just leave the car idling on the parking lot, I bet you will pass. As I said before the report is bad for everything, that is unusual, usually it’s either HC or NOX, sometimes CO2, but not all at once.

I would actually demend a free re-test, it's the techs fault.

Edit: Just noticed that you did not fail on CO2, but it is pretty high never the less, also the numbers are higher the second time around as you waited longer, that should be your clue.

Last edited:
So, after waiting for 20mins they just took your car in and did the test?

If that's the case these guys are doing it on purpose, most cars will be close to failure when they're tested pretty much cold, did they by any chance offer tune-ups and other stuff to ensure you pass?

Next time just leave the car idling on the parking lot, I bet you will pass. As I said before the report is bad for everything, that is unusual, usually it’s either HC or NOX, sometimes CO2, but not all at once.

I would actually demend a free re-test, it's the techs fault.

What are you talking about? Everyone has to leave their car running in the lineup. It's right on the sign when you pull in.

EDIT: I've been to the test 3 times. 1st right after I bought the car, 2nd time at another location with a bit of methyl hydrate (recommended by an old mechanic who seems to work more on carbureted vehicles and not fuel injection) and the 3rd time after the tune up above, and this was the one that I waited and idled in the parking lot the longest (20 min). I got the best results the first time I brought it in, and I only had to wait and idle 5 minutes.

And why would they offer tune ups? It's a government run test centre, not a repair shop.

http://www.aircare.ca

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
If the car is worth keeping, get an oe converter. Aftermarket is junk from experience... Check my old threads on performance.

If it's going to need replacement, i'm definitely going OE. I'm not going to weld in 2 or 3 converters and hope it fits with a v6 y-pipe.

Edit: Just noticed that you did not fail on CO2, but it is pretty high never the less, also the numbers are higher the second time around as you waited longer, that should be your clue.

My CO2 is the best reading compared to the 3. I have a reading of 2 and a pass is 9 and under.

Well, why the attitude man, I'm trying to help you and not spend a ton of money in the process.

I'm sure all the shops will be more than happy to change the cat converter and all O2 sensors for you, I'm sure you will pass then
smirk.gif

Peace.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mechjames

If it's going to need replacement, i'm definitely going OE. I'm not going to weld in 2 or 3 converters and hope it fits with a v6 y-pipe.

There are reasons far beyond fitment...

There are reasons far beyond fitment...

My Ford dealer wants $2,482.03 and fastpartsnetwork wants $2,084.91. More then I paid for the car.

A nice walker system will run me $401 including tax. And it's direct fit, and if it's gets me though our Aircare emissions test right away, it's great. The program is being scrapped next year (they are losing money on it) and if I pass since it's a 1994 car, I get 2 years before it would have to be retested. So it doesn't matter to me if the aftermarket cat converter fails in a year, because we won't have to get tested again where I live.

Last edited:

My Ford dealer wants $2,482.03 and fastpartsnetwork wants $2,084.91. More then I paid for the car.

I'm surprised it's still available at all from Ford. Ford's idea of parts support seems to be around 7-10 years (a rant for another thread). The new Cat would definitely solve your problem though along with new O2 sensors.

Originally Posted By: Scdevon

I'm surprised it's still available at all from Ford. Ford's idea of parts support seems to be around 7-10 years (a rant for another thread). The new Cat would definitely solve your problem though along with new O2 sensors.

I think it's still available because it's a cat system that is specific to this car, and they may not have depleted their inventory yet. The regular Taurus uses a more common system then my High Output model.

Either way, I doubt any dealer would give me a massive discount. Fastpartsnetwork is usually known for good discounts on OEM parts, and it's still 2 grand!

I'm going to swap the O2's this weekend, put yet another temporary insurance permit on for a couple days and take it through on the 2nd day. Should give the EEC-IV time to calibrate. Even if it just brings my readings right below pass, I can worry about the Cat's later on, but if not, i'll have to change them.

Last edited:
Stuck oil control rings is a given a 150,000mi SHO. Very common. Pull the crossover off the plenum and take a peek inside.

The shape of the plenum allows the blow-by oil to condense & pool significantly.

For what its worth that catalyst assembly is obsolete from Ford and not replaced. Also no dealers or obsolete parts warehouses show one in stock. I would have that dealer double check what they show for inventory. I have a program that includes dealers in Canada and none show any either.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
For what its worth that catalyst assembly is obsolete from Ford and not replaced. Also no dealers or obsolete parts warehouses show one in stock. I would have that dealer double check what they show for inventory. I have a program that includes dealers in Canada and none show any either.

Alright, so they were just looking up the listing. Didn't bother to check stock. Thats fine.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

Alright, so they were just looking up the listing. Didn't bother to check stock. Thats fine.

Ya pretty much every SHO specific part from Ford is obsolete. At least anytime anyone has called looking for engine parts they have come up that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back