Extractors vs Draining from Plug...

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many folks use Extractors that you pump up and pull the fluid from either the engine or the transmission? If you use one, which is the best kind that works well? Also, I need one to hold at least 5 quarts!

Thanks!

Thanks, found some good leads here. I'll check Marine shops and also hardware stores. I'm sure I'll find a quality one someplace. Seems like they are basically all the same. I don't prefer to make one like some guys do. No time!!
wink.gif

Here's a simple method to make one. Take 10 mins.

Here's what I built. I had a clear/translucent bucket. It has a top that snaps on (also has a handle). I drilled a hole on the top and attached a 1.5'' PVC pipe fitting, on the opposite side of the top I drilled a small hole and attached 2 1/4'' barbed fitting with a connector, so that one is on the top and the other on the bottom. I also bought 10' of clear 1/4'' hose and cut a small piece to that the bottom barbed fitting to the bottom of the pail. Put the lid on and connect the top barbed in to what you want to suck/pump out. Insert your shop vacuum in the 1.5'' PVC connector and the fluid will be sucked through the hose and into the pail.

I tested it with water and it emptied a pail quicky and since trans fluid is not to thick it sould work equally well. I think it will work for thicker fluids also, just slower.

Total cost about $6. The shop vac never ingests anything since it's separted.

tempo vacuum oil extractor, available any marine store. about $40. Holds 5 qts. Easy to pour out into larger container. Had mine for maybe 5 years.
don't think you'll find any that hold more than 5 qts.

Yes, we have several marine stores right near us so I need to stop in there and check them out. I am really not up to making one to be honest. Yes, I guess I like to throw away money too! Haha.. What can I say, we live in a world of convenience! Hey, at least I'll change my own oil which is more than most people do anymore.

smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Winston:
Anyone use those for bleeding brakes?

I used a mityvac to bleed brakes. Its just like an oil extractor but with a little sump. And, mityvac also sells the large capacity oil extractors plus all kinds of optional hardware for other uses.

Most people with boats who cannot get to the drain plug use an extractor to pump oil thru the dipstick. But it leaves up to 1 QT of old oil. I think most boaters would prefer to drain via the drain plug if they could get to it. I installed a drain plug hose on my drain plug to make it easier to get to the drain plug. (Jabsco makes one for this purpose).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back