Valvomax drain plug "system"

Finally bought one of these things and it's a pretty neat gadget. Happy with it. It replaces your oil drain plug with a device that has a check ball in it. The drain plug portion has an attached metal cap that screws on with your fingers. The other half is a metal fitting that screws into the checkball outlet and has a clear tube attached to it. So you screw the metal fitting into the checkball outlet, and the oil drains nice and neat through the tube into your receptacle.

$50 and I would say worth it. Well engineered and well built. Available on Amazon.

I also looked at the Fumoto valve, which is just a drain plug device without the tube/metal fitting.

Only downside to either one I can really think of is if you took it to have the oil changed at a shop, you would have to tell them what's going on or have the valvomax metal fitting thing with you to give them to use. So I do my own.

Yes you have to crawl under your car unless you have a lift I suppose... And I don't think $50 is very much. Jiffy lube charges more than that these days for any oil change.

Yeah removing the drain bolt isn't that big of a deal, but I'm very much pleased with not having hot oil splatter. This thing allows you to drain it with literally no mess. Like I said, I'm happy with it.

There is another similar product on the market from Stahlbus, and their web site has a diagram of how it works. It looks like there would be a much lower risk of leaks and essentially no concerns about unintentional operation of the valve vs the Fumoto valve (which is not a bad product either).

I would agree on being concerned about it hanging down too far, depending on where the drain bolt is located.

Yes you have to crawl under your car unless you have a lift I suppose... And I don't think $50 is very much. Jiffy lube charges more than that these days for any oil change.

Yeah removing the drain bolt isn't that big of a deal, but I'm very much pleased with not having hot oil splatter. This thing allows you to drain it with literally no mess. Like I said, I'm happy with it.

The only issue is that the oil does not come out at the same velocity and volume which could bring more garbage out?
This allows you drain the oil hot with no fear of burning your hands or spilling hot oil all over the place. If the oil is hot everything in the oil is coming out, any additional velocity of the bolt being removed is negligible.
There is another similar product on the market from Stahlbus, and their web site has a diagram of how it works. It looks like there would be a much lower risk of leaks and essentially no concerns about unintentional operation of the valve vs the Fumoto valve (which is not a bad product either).

I would agree on being concerned about it hanging down too far, depending on where the drain bolt is located.
These do not hang far enough down to be of any concern. It is only a few mm more than the installed drain bolt the difference is minimal.

I have a fumoto drain valve on my truck.. it is half the price and works just as well.

Finally bought one of these things and it's a pretty neat gadget. Happy with it. It replaces your oil drain plug with a device that has a check ball in it. The drain plug portion has an attached metal cap that screws on with your fingers. The other half is a metal fitting that screws into the checkball outlet and has a clear tube attached to it. So you screw the metal fitting into the checkball outlet, and the oil drains nice and neat through the tube into your receptacle.

$50 and I would say worth it. Well engineered and well built. Available on Amazon.

I also looked at the Fumoto valve, which is just a drain plug device without the tube/metal fitting.

Only downside to either one I can really think of is if you took it to have the oil changed at a shop, you would have to tell them what's going on or have the valvomax metal fitting thing with you to give them to use. So I do my own.
Had one on my Honda Pilot and loved it. As far as the cost and still having to crawl under the car, I had to be under there anyway to get to the filter on the Pilot.

Had one on my Honda Pilot and loved it. As far as the cost and still having to crawl under the car, I had to be under there anyway to get to the filter on the Pilot.
I worked in a fleet which had 700+ vehicles and we used the type of oil drain system with the quick disconnect hose like the Valvoline setup.. it works fine, and for our operation since the fitting on the engine could be had for different drain plugs but it used a standard quick coupling it was pretty good for us .

of course you don't want to lose the drain hose.. which is the benefit of the fumoto type.. which is one piece that stays on the engine.

I have something similar to that on my 2019 F150 for a few years now. That plastic drain plug combined with the swaybar being directly in the flow of oil is a recipe for making a huge mess. I haven’t had any issues with mine, and I don’t spill a drop.

Those things just make me nervous. Plus removing the drain bolt isn't that big of a deal.

It is esp when the oil drain hits the front sway bar and makes a mess.

I put one on the wifes expedition and did 1 oil change with it so far and I'd say it's deff worth it. I had a Ronin brand one on my F150 that replaced the plastic quarter turn plug. No problems with either.

Back