"Extension cable" for flash drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there such a thing?

My car has a USB port in the console, but it's awkward to reach. If I could install a cable in the port, leave it coiled up there, then extend it a little and plug in my flash drive when I get in the car, it would be a lot easier to deal with. Are there cables that will plug into the USB port on one end, and will let the flash drive be plugged into the other? What would I search for on Amazon, or ask for at the store?

Those look right. (I'm always unclear on "male" and "female" connectors and ports.) (That didn't come out the way I intended, did it? . . .)

Yup, just ask for or search for "USB extension cable". Just have to make sure it has a male end on one side and female on the other.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
If you have a Microcenter brick and mortar near you, they'll have one cheap.

Or TigerDirect.

I don't want to start a new thread so where can I get a cheap flash drive? Microcenter is 50 miles away.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Is there such a thing?

My car has a USB port in the console, but it's awkward to reach. If I could install a cable in the port, leave it coiled up there, then extend it a little and plug in my flash drive when I get in the car, it would be a lot easier to deal with. Are there cables that will plug into the USB port on one end, and will let the flash drive be plugged into the other? What would I search for on Amazon, or ask for at the store?

Go to ay Radio Shack, Best Buy, Staples, etc... or computer store and it should be easy to find. You shouldn't have to order it. I got one at Best Buy last time I needed one.

Depending on how long it is and the quality it will run anywhere from $5 to $30.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
I don't want to start a new thread so where can I get a cheap flash drive?

Like a USB thumb drive? Your local Walmart will have them. But they're typically even cheaper if you catch one on sale online (Amazon, Newegg, etc.).

Quote:
Like a USB thumb drive? Your local Walmart will have them. But they're typically even cheaper if you catch one on sale online (Amazon, Newegg, etc.).

Yes, that's what I mean. Thanks, will check those places out. I saw Staples had one for $10 awhile ago. Should have picked that one up.

Last edited:
Those look right. (I'm always unclear on "male" and "female" connectors and ports.) (That didn't come out the way I intended, did it? . . .)

smile.gif
It works the same way as humans...

Male has the outward parts and plugs into the female parts which have the inner parts.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

smile.gif
It works the same way as humans...

Male has the outward parts and plugs into the female parts which have the inner parts.

Ah. The "Vive la difference" pieces parts, then.

Quote:

Yes, that's what I mean. Thanks, will check those places out. I saw Staples had one for $10 awhile ago. Should have picked that one up.

Just keep in mind, the cheap ones typically have slow read/write speeds. If you often copy large files, that might be somewhat annoying.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Just keep in mind, the cheap ones typically have slow read/write speeds. If you often copy large files, that might be somewhat annoying.

I noticed the huge difference in price. I just need it for resumes, cover letters etc. Nothing fancy. Looks like Walmart has one for around $5 with good reviews.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Quote:

He's probably streaming MP3s to his stereo, not that huge a bandwidth thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back