Experience with Redline Oil???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jpr
With SM, the required phosphorus levels are more specific, calling for 0.06% to 0.08%...

Redline does seem to run high phosporus levels of around 1350 to 1450 ppm, which likely disqualifies it.

That is the one I was specifically thinking about and as you said it would be enough by itself. Perhaps there are others but I really don't follow these specs closely. There was a day when these specs weren't an issue and Red Line still, I believe, did not participate in API approval. It is of course a niche product being sold to a small group of people and their cost argument does strike me as a reasonable and satisfactory explanation as to why.

I suppose I would also be curious to see how Red Line would perform in API tests. By the way where can one go to view the specific SM requirements?

Concur -

To my personal taste, when something is not accordance with a defined standard, I like to know the specifics of what and why before trying to make a judgement call about how significant that is to me.

A defined standard is just that, a standard. Redline oil is not a standard oil and they will not divulge their propriety blend so that the normal Joe can be satisfied. How can a person that have very little knowledge of how an engine works make a judgment on how good an oil is???????

Originally Posted By: azsynthetic
How can a person that have very little knowledge of how an engine works make a judgment on how good an oil is???????
Very good question, perhaps you will share with us how you did it.

How can a person that have very little knowledge of how an engine works make a judgment on how good an oil is???????
Very good question, perhaps you will share with us how you did it.

I race both my ZR-1 Corvette and my motorcycle at Firebird Raceway on a monthly basis. I do a UOA after every race and rebuild my bike on a yearly basis. The Vette engine was rebuilt once due to blown head gasket with nitrous, but the heads are refreshed yearly. Lowest wear is with Redline Street oil compares to Amsoil, Motul, RP, and Mobil. I do not change oil after every race, only when the UOA said I should. Both the Vette and the bike are street licensed although no emission check due to where I live.

So it appears that the answer to the question "How can a person that have very little knowledge of how an engine works make a judgment on how good an oil is???????" is "By trial and error."

I notice that you have not posted any of your UOA reports.

I race both my ZR-1 Corvette and my motorcycle at Firebird Raceway on a monthly basis. I do a UOA after every race and rebuild my bike on a yearly basis. The Vette engine was rebuilt once due to blown head gasket with nitrous, but the heads are refreshed yearly. Lowest wear is with Redline Street oil compares to Amsoil, Motul, RP, and Mobil.

I am impressed by the fact that I've heard variations of this many times from people who actually look at their engine parts and ought to know, including a few knowledgeable guys right here. By the way I'm not familiar with Firebird Raceway but just out of curiosity what kind of racing are you doing?

I hear good things about most oils in general.

Porsche race teams have great success with Mobil 1 0w40.
21.gif

So it appears that the answer to the question "How can a person that have very little knowledge of how an engine works make a judgment on how good an oil is???????" is "By trial and error."

I notice that you have not posted any of your UOA reports.

Once again you have reading comprehension problem. It is called Research and Development for those in the engineering field. Trial and error is what YOU do since you know very little about engine development. My UOAs are my secrets since they also contains info about the fuel used, the fuel ratio, ECU programming, the type of oil mix, nitrous setting, etc. Racers do not give out secrets. On the dyno, Mobil and Redline have basically the same horsepower output but the Redline give better wear rate on the track.

Like I have said before you either sit on the sofa and read specs or go to the race track and learn something.

R&D huh?

Somehow this comes to mind...
Originally Posted By: Watterson
Calvin: How do they know the load limit on bridges, Dad?
Dad: They drive bigger and bigger trucks over the bridge until it breaks. Then they weigh the last truck and rebuild the bridge.
Calvin: Oh, I should've guessed.
Mom: Dear, if you don't know the answer, just tell him!

BTW - I did forget to congratulate you on this rhetorical masterpiece -
Originally Posted By: azsimpleton
I've got lots and lots of data that clearly supports all my claims, but alas, it's secret.

Last edited:
R&D huh?

Like I said, you would never understand it. You remind me of those high school kids I see out in the race track every month trying to figure out why their cars can't break the 15 second quarter mile time when it suppose to be low 13's. They read all these Hot Rod magazines and bolt on a bunch of speed parts expect every thing to work by itself. The different between R&D and trial&error is knowing where to begin and when to stop. You seem to veer off topic when you got nothing to contribute to the topic, obviously not knowing when to stop.

I've got lots and lots of data that clearly supports all my claims, but alas, it's secret.

Apparently you can't read my name either, sheesh....

jpr,
Leave him alone... You've embarrassed him enough
LOL.gif
And, he doesn't even know it....
happy2.gif

Actually, I've got whole bunch of clear and conclusive data that you are the one that has misspelled your name, but alas, I cannot share it because it is a secret.

Originally Posted By: Yuk
jpr,
Leave him alone... You've embarrassed him enough
LOL.gif
And, he doesn't even know it....
happy2.gif

You are entirely correct and I shall endeavour to take the higher road, but it's hard not to swing when they float over the plate like that.

...now about that carbomb you mentioned
beer3.gif

True to form, all jpr has to offer is more trolling and nothing to contribute to the topic. If you were a little more involved with racing or engine building then I would have given you more information to take home with. Sadly, you only bench race and read spec that you failed to see the actual results of racing development. BTW, since my UOAs do cost me money I am willing to sell them to you at my cost to satisfy your curiosity. If you want to play then you got to pay. $15/UOA and you can read or post them on here, your choice. I got over 100 UOAs on three different engines and oil combination. Heck, I will even throw in my dyno results at ProDyno in Phoenix. So there it is, put up or step off.

TRACO (I sure ain't going into who they are) supplied every engine to a maor U.S race series I forget. When the engines came back after each race they could name which oil had been used without knowing. They could always pick which engine had Redlione as it had such low wear compared to the others which were basically shot. Real results not UOA or 'my friend says'

What type of engine in the ZR-1 and what Mobil, Amsoil, Motul products were you using? Are you comparing API SM oils to Redline, which is SL? These are things that need to be clarified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back