Everything happens for a reason... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: javacontour

The take-away is regardless what you think "caused" the circumstance, your best course of action is to simply be there for them while they go through it.

I agree 100%.

It's my opinion that most of things that I go through have NOTHING to do with me. That it's impossible to know what's really going on. If we could comprehend what God is thinking, He must not be very special.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
What do BITOG members think when a person says:
"Everything happens for a reason..."

99% of the time something bad happened and the person will use this phrase.
Job layoff, illness, divorce, personal problems, bad luck, accident, being at the wrong place at the wrong time (Sept 11, 2001), bad karma, ....etc...

Do you agree or disagree ?

I think that it is a totally moronic phrase.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

"Everything happens for a reason..."

Do you agree or disagree ?

Disagree, completely, without reservation.

Last edited:
It's rather ambiguous, isn't it? What "reason"? Rational or faith? Perhaps it's just a mindless response because some believe they need to SAY SOMETHING, when in reality, they don't. Something about "Fools rushing in...to needlessly comment."

My Mother finally succumbed to cancer at the age of 44 after a protracted fight (6 yrs.) when I was 8. Her lengthy illness had my family in turmoil and my fathers gut in knots and on edge. No doubt he was asking himself "Why this? Why now?"

I was repeatedly told "she'll be home soon", "everything will be alright, you'll see", etc. Except I was smart enough to see they were lying to me. It was written all over their face. I knew something was wrong with her, but no one told me the truth. Probably thought I couldn't handle it as a child, yet they weren't doing such a good job either as adults.

At the funeral reception at my house, some old guy told me "God really needed your Mother, so he called her Home." I felt even worse. I thought "Why does God need her more than me? He's God. I'm only 8".

That experience was enough to sensitize me for life and to insulate me from lots of religious dogma & platitudes as being thought of as "comforting". Instead I just find it really annoying coming from extroverts who just MUST SAY SOMETHING!

Unfortunate that they persist in wading in despite the fact they're so far out of their element & understanding. They don't belong there in the first place. Opening their mouth just makes it worse.

Still rather amazing when I encounter an "adult" exposing baby-faith. It's a sure sign there's has never been tested nor evolved....

Originally Posted By: Phishin
I really would have been an "idiot", a pompous fool, to not believe that some kind of Higher Power wasn't behind this all.

or would you have to be narcissistic to believe that a higher power is controlling your life, but not necessarily others (who don't believe in a HP)

Because humans evolved with a larger brain than other animals and have come to dominate the Earth, we *must* be based on some god's Plan. I mean we're special, right? We're not just 96% chimp, we're made in gods own image (one whom we've never been able to prove exists, ironically)

Originally Posted By: Phishin
I agree with everyone's non-religious, "this saying is so dumb", take on the phrase.

I used to think this way as well.

Then some things happened in my life, and I came to believe that "nothing, absolutely nothing, happens in God's world by mistake."

I didn't just decide to believe such an idea. I'm not that kind of guy. I'm a scientifically trained nerd. But enough things happened in my life, EACH of them extremely rare "coincidences", that if you string them together, I could have hit the lottery 2 or 3 times with those odds.

I really would have been an "idiot", a pompous fool, to not believe that some kind of Higher Power wasn't behind this all.

Now that I have had my eyes opened by these experiences, I enjoy my daily existence as I keep an eye out for such "coincidences". It may sound strange to many, and it would have been pure 100% [censored] if I would have heard such things earlier in my life.

But as me and buddies say: You have to live it to believe it.

That's why some people think such strange chain of events and coincidences for things to happen, there was a reason for things to play out the way it did with crazy odds.

I'm not taking sides, I see how random folks view this topic differently.

Originally Posted By: surfstar

or would you have to be narcissistic to believe that a higher power is controlling your life, but not necessarily others (who don't believe in a HP)

I don't think anyone who believes in a Higher Power (not religion, but someone who is spiritually minded) would think that a HP is working in their lives, but not others.

If you think that your problems in life are due to your deity of choice testing you (next statement in the argument is that chosen deity "never throws anything at you that you can't handle"), it's time to stop empowering said deity.

Meteor hits your house, your could with enough data plot it's course and see the "reason" for it hitting your house, but to have some supreme being do it for giggles suggests that you need a crutch to help you through your day.

We're not just 96% chimp, we're made in gods own image (one whom we've never been able to prove exists, ironically)

To quote from one of the thin oils improve fuel economy threads: "Just because you cannot measure/see it, doesn't mean it's not there."

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
We're not just 96% chimp, we're made in gods own image (one whom we've never been able to prove exists, ironically)

To quote from one of the thin oils improve fuel economy threads: "Just because you cannot measure/see it, doesn't mean it's not there."

Yeah, but there's scientific theory behind thin oils and MPG increase
wink.gif
Imaginary being living in the clouds - not so much.

Carlin on god (and he needs money!) warning: language
wink.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r-e2NDSTuE

There is always a reason. We don't always know the reason.

So I'd say it this way. There is always a reason. There isn't always an explanation.

I'm not saying this in a "God works in mysterious ways" or "You must have done something bad to bring that down on you..." kind of way.

Regardless of anyone's belief in matters of faith, my statement stands. There are any number of reasons we are unable to explain how or why something happened.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Things happen....sometimes there is a reason...sometimes not.

wink.gif

There is a theory, that has not been proven, that the whole universe came to being by an explosion and pretty much the whole scientific community takes it as a fact, not a theory.
There is a theory that all life on Earth evolved from a single organism. Again, it is not proven and yet the whole scientific community takes it as a fact and it's thought in schools as such, not as a theory.
So you see, there are many beliefs involved, disguised as science, where a certain amount of faith is required from the very people that parade believing nothing but hard facts.

wink.gif

There is a theory, that has not been proven, that the whole universe came to being by an explosion and pretty much the whole scientific community takes it as a fact, not a theory.
There is a theory that all life on Earth evolved from a single organism. Again, it is not proven and yet the whole scientific community takes it as a fact and it's thought in schools as such, not as a theory.
So you see, there are many beliefs involved, disguised as science, where a certain amount of faith is required from the very people that parade believing nothing but hard facts.

The big bang was not simply thought up. Scientific calculations, and actual observations of our known universe were made that support the theory. Theories have been made and then tested/observed. That's how science works.
Evolution has many, many FACTS that it is based on. Observable evidence. Fossil record. DNA. Genes. These are hard facts. Observable by anyone.

Made up stories of gods. These are not observable. Ironically the main religions have similar stories, yet all claim theirs is the only true one. And how do you know? Faith. Nothing observable. Science changes and adapts as we learn more and can test more. Religion is very slow to do so. They only adapt so as not to lose followers (aka money). Flat Earth. Earth as center of universe. Things that were disproven and eventually The Church agreed. The story of Noah? Nothing to prove that happened, yet some religious people still hold onto that one. Why? "Faith?" Others write off the stories as simply parables and not to be taken as true occurrences. How convenient that you get to pick and choose which stories to believe and which ones to ignore.

It is truly amazing that life on Earth exists. Even more so is that it is due to the randomness of the universe. There is no evidence that points to any of the "creation" stories as being true in the least.

Scientists cannot currently explain why and how we're here, but based on what we've learned, there is nothing to support the stories in old books written by mankind. Thousands of religions have existed over the years. A few main ones remain. Not because they are any more true than the old abandoned beliefs. Its just the time that you happen to be alive and part of the current religious trends. Ancient Greek gods? Those are taught as history now. Guess what? In hundreds of years so will the Abrahamic religions also be looked upon, as quaint historical beliefs of the time.

What chooses your religion? Where and whom you were born to. Not facts. Not evidence. Simply convenience. That seems like a poor way to choose something so important (if you were to believe their stories).

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
It's rather ambiguous, isn't it? What "reason"? Rational or faith? Perhaps it's just a mindless response because some believe they need to SAY SOMETHING, when in reality, they don't. Something about "Fools rushing in...to needlessly comment."

My Mother finally succumbed to cancer at the age of 44 after a protracted fight (6 yrs.) when I was 8. Her lengthy illness had my family in turmoil and my fathers gut in knots and on edge. No doubt he was asking himself "Why this? Why now?"

I was repeatedly told "she'll be home soon", "everything will be alright, you'll see", etc. Except I was smart enough to see they were lying to me. It was written all over their face. I knew something was wrong with her, but no one told me the truth. Probably thought I couldn't handle it as a child, yet they weren't doing such a good job either as adults.

At the funeral reception at my house, some old guy told me "God really needed your Mother, so he called her Home." I felt even worse. I thought "Why does God need her more than me? He's God. I'm only 8".

That experience was enough to sensitize me for life and to insulate me from lots of religious dogma & platitudes as being thought of as "comforting". Instead I just find it really annoying coming from extroverts who just MUST SAY SOMETHING!

Unfortunate that they persist in wading in despite the fact they're so far out of their element & understanding. They don't belong there in the first place. Opening their mouth just makes it worse.

Still rather amazing when I encounter an "adult" exposing baby-faith. It's a sure sign there's has never been tested nor evolved....

sleddriver,
I could relate to that, got the same feeling when my father passed away of liver/stomach cancer (he barely drink) after about a year of suffering. i was 16, and the local custom was to kiss his crossed hands and his forehead for goodbye. could not do that, and i wanted to remember him as the men he was, not the 90# shadow that i could almost lift with one hand. also this after looking at his casket for 10 hours in the back of a half-semi to get him there. the same relatives yapping and doing ritual cryings/yelling (X, why you had to go? yada yada) about had no problem indulging at the ritual lunch/dinner after the burial.

I noticed that people who say this tend to be more emotional than rational thinkers, and tend to be either religious or superstitious. What they mean is that some higher power has created a destiny for them. It can be good or bad.

For instance, my friend was on her way somewhere, but due to bad traffic, arrived very late. By random luck, she met a man that day. They ended up talking then dating, and finally got married. She says that traffic jam happened for a reason: Some higher power wanted her to meet her future husband that day.

I think it's hogwash, personally... I think they're rationalizing it by working backwards from the outcome to find a reason for the outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back