Evans waterless coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
what exactly does it use instead of water as a heat carrier? i cannot think of anything thats significantly better than water.

Do a search here. There was a thread on it several months ago. It is propylene glycol with additives. Evans' website talks a good talk. I am not sure I buy everything they say. It may be thinner and transfer heat better that way.

Labman

what i like (if true) is a zero pressure radiator cap, life time fill and a boiling point of 379 degrees. Heck 22 dollars a gallon is cheap. I would like to read more about it somewhere besides evans sight though. Thanks again steve

Steven,

I am going to try it in my Ford diesel but there is a little concern about it by some people. Some just don't like PG. Some say you might loose a little cooling. Some say it is a little thicker than the 50 50 mix and may be hard on pumps.

Others think it is the best thing since sliced bread.

I will try to PM you a link to a Ford Diesel site that went on about it for awhile.

White 03

Thanks bud i got the link. Theres a good discussion over there about the evans. I think i am going to try it in my white 03 to. The best price i have found is 22.00 a gallon (still looking). I will get a new thermostat and the coolant and change on the first warm day.

Thanks Again Steve

I tried it in my 98 Taurus. I did not get real good heat when sitting at an idle.

I had no way to drain the water to the block because there is not access to the drain plugs. I had to try to flush out the water in the block with Sierra antifreeze per Evans. They have a pre flush they now sell for this purpose.

I had a sample sent to Evans and they said that I had too much water and Sierra and not enough Evans.
The thing is my car has a major TSB on the coolant/heater system that involves major cooling system modifications. So in all fairness that might be part of the problem I had also.

I did consult with Evans on this issue and they said sometimes the heater cores are too restrictive for real good heater performance.
I am running Amsoil antifreeze right now the heat from the heater is better but not super good.
This makes me think the TSB has some effect on my heater performance. My daughter has the same car/engine in her 96 that has a little better heat output.
From what I read on the the net it sounds like it would work real good in truck diesel applications. Bigger heater cores and radiators.

Also they sell 2 different kinds of coolant as well as the Preflush. Also cooling systems that have an expansion tank (with the rad cap on the tank) cooling system instead of the overflow reservour can't utilize the lower pressure radiator cap set up.
I am going to try it again at some point, but maybe not in my taurus. This product has some real good attributes. I am a believer in the propylene glycol products Evans, Amsoil, Sierra etc.
wink.gif

I use Evans NPG+ in a Volvo 740 Turbo with a 2.3L motor. I also used the earlier NPG in different 2.3 and 2.1 motors. It was too thick and killed water pumps. I also seemed to get a lot of leaks using it with a mostly stock cooling system. The NPG+ expands a lot and needs a large expansion tank. It is also happiest with a double one inch core radiator rather than a radiator with narrower cores. I use the coldest of the OEM thermostats, 180 F.

I am not sure it is a miracle coolant. I look forward to learning more from people who have the ability to test it. The car magazines have not tested it much. I think Grassroots just put it in a Mustang and years ago European Car put it in a VW.

Philip Bradley

I am running Evans NPG+ in my 575hp naturally aspirated 1996 Impala SS. I am running a 160deg stat, BeCool radiator, and Meziere heavy duty electric water pump. I had just built my motor, and was attempting to run high compression on pump gas,(91 octane here in Ca.) I figured the Evans would help in achieving my goal.

So far...so good. Albeit with tons of hours spent tuning, I'm running 36deg of timing, yet no signs of detonation at all RPM's and varying degrees of load, neither detected by ear, or on a logger. My friend runs a similar setup as myself, somewhat less power..less compression, and IS getting some knock count under extreme conditions. He is tuned essentially identically to myself, but is running distilled water + water wetter.

Another thing I've discovered about this stuff is...you can literally lay your hand right smack dab on the intake manifold when the car is running, and it is cool as a cucumber. I believe the Evans is doing it's job of transferring heat away from the combustion chamber.

The only con?? Having to save your coolant when replacing our sorry Optisparks...Patman, you know of what I speak. hehe

I am very active on a couple Impala SS boards, Evans is not needed to cool 600hp in that car, water will work just fine even with a stock radiator and fans, your friends KR problem lies elswhere. At those power levels the heads would have been worked over well, all it would take is your combustion chambers are done a tad better than his, one sharp edge is all it takes to cause detonation.

I am really suprized to see people here saying anything good about the stuff as I haven't heard much good elsewhere, everything else I have read focuses on water being a better heat carrier.
dunno.gif

[ April 15, 2004, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: DJ ]

I believe that darton will only honor any warranty work with their MID sleeves for the ls1/ls6 if it is used in conjunction with the evan's coolant. That for me is a pretty big seal of approval.

Regards,

Ethan Fisher

quote:

Originally posted by 00 scrub:
There is a good article on it in the newest issue of Grass Roots Motorsports.

I am looking for the magazine but so far haven't found it and their web page seems to not have the article. I suppose I could ask to by a back issue but that will take weeks.

Just briefly what was their opinion?

Thanks.

quote:

I am really suprized to see people here saying anything good about the stuff as I haven't heard much good elsewhere, everything else I have read focuses on water being a better heat carrier.

DJ

Evans themselves states clearly that water is a better heat conductor. The only thing is that water is one of those unique items that has three states (like most substances) solid, liquid, vapor ...but has very narrow thesholds between them. I believe that there is only 90 btus/ltr difference between 212 water and 212 steam ..and 32 water and 32 ice (temps indexed for pressure). It doesn't change in viscosity or specific gravity like motor petroliem.

PG may in fact yield higher indicated temps since it can't easily boil. A local hot spot will vaporize water if it exceeds it boiling point (let's say 50/50 under 17 lb pressure) ..maybe (I don't have a steam table in front of me) 235+. So if you have a local 400 degee hot spot ..your water/glycol mix may not go back into liquid form ..while Evans redily reverts to liquid below 375. Hence more of that hot spot's heat is transmitted to the rad for dumping.

Evans has a distribution warehouse close to downtown Pottstown. I think I can get it for $16/gallon. I've just had no reason to buy it. The low pressure cap thing is inviting though.

I've talked to several people using it in their diesels with good sucess. I have Evans installed in some older muscle cars, but they spend most of their time in storage.

I currently use NPG+ in various off road motorcycles with good results and used to use it with good results in a LS1 powered dual sport buggy before I sold it last year. Before installing it in our bikes a few years ago, I drilled/tapped the thermostat housing & a frame plug in one of our bikes to monitor coolant & oil temps. I datalogged the temps while riding in various conditions including slow technical sections where my bike would have certainly boiled over, on sand dunes, on hills, the local desert during summer, etc. My temps stayed in check at all times and never got out of hand even when riding unreasonbly slow. Like any product, it has its good points and bad points, but I've been happy with it for some of my applications and will consider it for some of my future applications.

With some off road bikes, it's quite easy to get them to boil over with conventional coolants by idling them too long or riding too slow (i.e. technical sections). When the coolant starts boiling and flowing out the overflow, its more than likely that some parts inside the combustion chamber are getting pretty darn hot and steam pockets will only form an insulating barrier between the coolant & metal, which only leads to hotter localized temps and potential detonation, etc. While the Evans coolant will not cool as well as water or a 50/50 mix of EG/H2O at lower temperatures, it does stay in contact with the metal to do its job long after the 50/50 mix would have failed (boiled).

I believe the Grassroots Motorsports article simply touted the Evans Coolant and stated that they were putting it in their Project Mustang. I believe they used a fairly comprehensive kit, meaning new radiator, water pump, and so forth. Evans recommends a radiator with wide cores, like one with two one inch cores. Even the NPG+ that is thinner than the old NPG is thicker than normal coolant and moves more easily through the wider cores.

I look forward to reading the results. Grassroots is pretty good about posting them.

Philip Bradley

quote:

Originally posted by stevencarroll:
Labman

what i like (if true) is a zero pressure radiator cap, life time fill and a boiling point of 379 degrees. Heck 22 dollars a gallon is cheap. I would like to read more about it somewhere besides evans sight though. Thanks again steve

I've done some reading on the Ford-Diesel site and it's seems like a good idea. I know a few folks running it with success.

I would say it's worth a try, esp the 0 pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back