Do you get corrosion from not changing coolant?

I bought my 99 dodge cummins a while back and if was clear the coolant was never maintained. I took the thermostat out and it has a large amount of rust inside the housing with deep pitting. Do you get the same amount of rust running straight water as you would if it just never got changed?
Use distilled water to flush and then fill up with coolant.
Or just do what I do since we only need to change coolant occasionally you can either
do drain and refills every couple years
or
flush with 50/50 coolant/distilled water(waste the good coolant) and then refill with the same. This way you don’t have to try and figure out how much coolant to water is left in the system.

I'm about to do a coolant flush on my 01 Cummins. Can I stick water hose in the radiator and run my truck while it flushed all of the old coolant out and just leaves water in the system. Would pressure from the hose do anything to the coolant system while it's running?
How will you capture the flushed coolant? If you let it run onto ground, it will kill animals if they drink it. Any dogs around?

I don't think I would bother flushing with 50/50. Seems like a waste to me. Just use distilled water, then get a concentrate to bring system to 50/50 (you need to do the math on that.)

For cars I get new or fairly new anyway, I just do a drain and fill with 50/50 these days. Do it at 60K, then again at 100K, then every 30K after that. Seems to have worked fine.

How will you capture the flushed coolant? If you let it run onto ground, it will kill animals if they drink it. Any dogs around?
I would drain coolant properly. Catch what ever comes out. Then I would connect water hose and fill it. by now what ever left over in the system will be diluted enough to make it safer. Then start the engine, open radiator on the bottom and let it run/flush for couple of minutes.
Then I would drain most of the water out and fill with 50/50 coolant.

I would drain coolant properly. Catch what ever comes out. Then I would connect water hose and fill it. by now what ever left over in the system will be diluted enough to make it safer. Then start the engine, open radiator on the bottom and let it run/flush for couple of minutes.
Then I would drain most of the water out and fill with 50/50 coolant.
This will leave it with significantly less than a 50% mix as about half of the coolant is still in the rest of the system. It's better to add half the cooling system's volume of concentrated coolant and top off with water.

Granted not all types of coolant are available in concentrated form, so in that case, you either need a way to drain the block or you have to do multiple drains and fills to get it close to 50% if you ever flush with water

Last edited:
Not that coolant should be allowed to go onto the ground, but Congress passed a law in 2005 that denatonium benzoate (a bittering agent) has to be added to antifreeze to prevent animals and kids from drinking the stuff. Basically, it's all yucky tasting now.

Not that coolant should be allowed to go onto the ground, but Congress passed a law in 2005 that denatonium benzoate (a bittering agent) has to be added to antifreeze to prevent animals and kids from drinking the stuff. Basically, it's all yucky tasting now.
I had a 5 gallon drain pan under the truck.

But that doesn’t inform you if the corrosion inhibitors and other additives are present. The glycol is obviously important, but it won’t go bad…
Right..... But he said he Flushed it with water so he needs to get the right ratio for freeze/boil protection and enough corrosion inhibators

I've never used them, but I'd imagine you only use one strip probably on an annual basis I could use like 5 of them for all my vehicles and I'd be good for a year.

Test strips are fluid specific, too. There are no generic strips that will give a generic corrosion protection value for all types of coolant.

Oh so one for ethylene glycol and a different one for propylene, etc?
No, I meant that the test strips usually check for additive levels in addition to the ethylene glycol content. Like silicate levels for conventional green coolant or SCA anti-cavitation additives for certain types of diesel coolants.

Test strips are fluid specific, too. There are no generic strips that will give a generic corrosion protection value for all types of coolant.
Our 3-Way test strips are good for all nitrite-based coolants...older technologies so it's more consistent across different brands of product. When you get into OAT coolants though, those test strips do tend to be brand specific because the additive chemistries are more varied.

I would not flush with your garden hose( city water). You wont get it all out and it has too many electrolytes in it.

Back