EURO SPEC OIL VS STANDART

FJB

ok so what is big difference between euro spec oil vs standard, I see many people pick euro oil to run in their cars ,educate me .

Historically, Euro oil oils were formulated with a more robust additive package for the longer oil change intervals common in European vehicles.
A VW, Audi and Porsche 0W30 and 5W30 will have a HTHS of 3.5 + while a non Euro 5W30 will usually have a HTHS around 3.0.

Historically, Euro oil oils were formulated with a more robust additive package for the longer oil change intervals common in European vehicles.
A VW, Audi and Porsche 0W30 and 5W30 will have a HTHS of 3.5 + while a non Euro 5W30 will usually have a HTHS around 3.0.
This, and to expand on it, any of the more "traditional" (non-ESP) Euro oils that are Full-SAPS will have higher levels of AW additives and if they carry an API approval and are an xW-30, they will be SL because the API capped phosphorous with SM, but this doesn't apply to xW-40's, which is why you will see these as SN or SP.

I always pondered this question too. At Wm here, they always have two Castrol Edge oils side by side, a US spec 5W30 and a Euro spec 5W30 (which the Euro if I remember correctly is API SL rated).

so no harm done if I use euro oil in my hemi ram ?

Imo most oils today have euro certs. Euro certs are primarily based on long drain intervals, HTHS and emissions compliance.
I'd say there's a lot more now that do meet those requirements these days, but there's a pretty definitive line between european and non european cars as far as oil requirements. Where the change is really happening is with more and more turbocharger direct injection vehicles. Low HTHS Xw20s don't meet requirements for most of these engines and probably for good reason. The most grey area is 5w30. The average 5w30 is no where near the requirements needed for something like VW502 and the like. For me at least I'd never run even a VW502 30 weight in my GTI. Between fuel dilution and heat of the turbo I would prefer more headroom for viscosity no matter how small that might be.

Just to add here, that Euro oils are not just OCI driven.
High HTHS is required primarily due to exploitation (Germans base EVERYTHING on autobahn demands). But there are strict deposit limits, Noack, emission protection (regardless that oil is Full SAPS) and oxidation (especially BMW).

Back