engine is toast b/c of twisted oil filter???

Status
Not open for further replies.
cyl#1 flo-thru compression
metalschlager oil
extreme twister oil filter
2005 mazda 6 blown engine pics

ok, i was just wondering if anyone could help me out here. i think that the mazda dealership is trying to screw me out of fixing actually replacing my engine even though it is still covered under warranty, not to mention i even had purchased the extended warranty which doesnt really matter at this point because im still under the basic warranty being that i purchased my car exactly 2 years ago (labor day 2005) and i only have 36,234 miles on it. anyway, here's what happened. i was driving my car on the freeway last weekend and all of a sudden i hear this loud pop from under the car and then the engine started to like sputter. then the check engine light and the oil light started to flash on and off as i was trying to get to the right shoulder so i turned the engine off and proceeded to coast to the shoulder. at that point i knew it wasn't good. the hood started to smoke so i had to call triple a to come get me and my car. the next day i had the car taken to where i bought the car in tustin. first off let me say that i take extremely good care of my car. i get my oil changes every 3000-4000 miles (my brother in law is the manager at a quickie lube and has always taken care of me) so i thought this for sure was something that i had nothing to worry about, it had to be covered by warranty. well anyway, i got to the dealership shortly after my car arrived there and immediately, the service guy said "oh well you know those quickie lube places...they probably did something wrong when you took it to them, they are known to use the wrong parts" so without even looking at the car yet he assumed and was trying to blame someone else. well, i got a rental car which mazda said they will cover if they are at fault. but i just got news back yesterday from them saying that they say that my engine (cylinder #1) has a hole in it and it is all due to the oil filter because it is not the oem part and it was twisted from being the incorrect size therefore it was not doing its job filtering which caused the engine to blow??? i dont know much about cars but my dad does and he's not convinced. everytime i've had my oil changed they have used the same kind of filter, so wouldnt this have happened sooner? the oil filter being twisted isn't enough to cause such a catastrophic failure as this is it? any help or input on what i should do or how i should approach this would be much appreciated. also here is the link to the pics that the dealership took.
2005 mazda 6 blown engine pics to me it looks like mazda doesnt wanna pay up for something that should be under warranty. thanks

T

my poor little mazda ------>
tombstone.gif
sniffle, sniffle
frown.gif

Talk to the factory representative. The filter on my Daughter's car withthe 2.3 engine looked exactly the same and it was the filter installed by THE FACTORY! This failure in No. 1 cylinder has nothing to do with the oil filter. Even if the filter was totally plugged, (which it is not)the bypass would continue to deliver oil to the engine. Mazda wants to keep their customers happy. My brother had a transmission failure 5000 miles beyond the factory warrenty and Mazda picked up the entire bill.Get to the right person at Mazda and explain the situation without a confrontational attitude. Anyone with any sense will realize this is not related to your oil filter. If all else fails , get an attorney. Your dealer should be properly presenting your case to the factory, and he is not.

The stealer will do anything to get out of warranty work. They must prove that the filter caused the problem. Might end up sending it back to the manufacturer before this gets settled.

Many engines don't even use a filter. V W's went many years w/o a filter and small motorcycle engine run forever w/o one.

Ask them what put a hole in the cyl. Did it drop a valve?

Usually a hole in a cylinder is caused by a detonation problem. A lean fuel mix or not enough octane in the gas are two things that come to mind. I highly doubt that your oil filter caused this problem. I agree with the poster that you should ask for a detailed explanation of what put the hole in the cylinder.

I have not heard of either the oil or filter you are using. Google searches don't reveal much either.

How a blown piston can be atributed to an oil filter is beyond me. Now a seized crank ..sure..

They're blowing smoke up your behind. Don't bend over for them.

It's more like the injecter was not working like it should and caused a lean condition and the spark plug burned the hole in the piston...like Gary said it would have seized the crank bearings if it was a oil problem (I did that once a looong time ago on a race car)..get a lawyer to send them a letter..Mazda is like all the rest of these auto manufactures...just don't care anymore..they all made their money now the kids are spending it..grandpa is out of the business..he had some pride..not so the young punks he gave the company to....

This has been a problem with several cartridge type filters. Wix, Purolator, even some OEMs. The filter man's all say that there's nothing wrong. I presonally think that they're a mm too long or something. Still ..even if there was a hole in the thing, it wouldn't blow up a piston.

I have the same engine in my Mazda3. The twisting filter is a common problem discussed over at mazda3forums.com It happened to me when I used PureOne's. I now use Wix and no more twisting. I know one poster said he sent his twisted filter back to Purolator b/c he was concerned. They evaluated it and stated is was functioning properly and was not a concern. Contact the filter manufacturer and tell them what the dealer is telling you. Let the two big company's fight it out.

Me thinks Mazda is gonna lose this one!

The dealer and mfg cannot demand you use 'their' filters unless they give them to you free.
Federal law.
Start talking 'lawyer' to the field rep., that might stop the B.S. defense.

Quote:

The dealer and mfg cannot demand you use 'their' filters unless they give them to you free.
Federal law.
Start talking 'lawyer' to the field rep., that might stop the B.S. defense.

If that is their point of contention, that you didn't use their filter, ask them if they know anything about the Magnuson-Moss Act of 1975. You shouldn't even need a lawyer then.

But still, I want to know how they think the oil filter had anything to do with this.

I hope you can still get the parts. Was #1 injector tested with its harness? What was the condition of #1 conrod bearing, pin, and bushing compared to others? Photos will help build your case. It is a stretch to say the filter caused the blown piston. You may see severe oil starvation as a result of the failure, not the cause. You can always send the piston pieces to a materials lab if it gets to that point.

Wow - holy moley. Some sage advice here. To me at the 10,000 ft level it looks like the usual dealer shenanigans. I think the best thing you can foster Monday AM is a relationship with the filter manufacturer as others have suggested. Tell them the exact truthful story. Then, yes get with the district manager and go straight to Mazda USA. Be calm and straight forward.

The best thing you can do on Sunday is start a detailed log, and a set of detailed notes. Get all your info together. Keep asking questions.

I suppose too late for an oil sample - and you could get some good evidence there, but it really makes no sense that a twisted oil filter would take out a single cylinder. They are reaching.

MAZDA DID COME OUT TO THE DEALERSHIP AND DIDN'T GIVE THE AUTHORIZATION TO TAKE APART THE ENGINE (WHICH WOULD OBVIOUSLY GET TO THE ROOT OF THE PROBLEM RIGHT?) MAZDA JUST DOESNT WANT TO OWN UP TO IT. ON MONDAY I WILL TRY AND TALK TO A FACTORY REP I GUESS. AND IF THEY STILL WONT BUDGE THEN I GUESS I WILL HAVE TO GET A LAWYER. THANKS FOR EVERYONES INPUT.
smile.gif

I WILL LET YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS...UNTIL THEN
whistle.gif

Quote:

MAZDA DID COME OUT TO THE DEALERSHIP AND DIDN'T GIVE THE AUTHORIZATION TO TAKE APART THE ENGINE (WHICH WOULD OBVIOUSLY GET TO THE ROOT OF THE PROBLEM RIGHT?) MAZDA JUST DOESNT WANT TO OWN UP TO IT. ON MONDAY I WILL TRY AND TALK TO A FACTORY REP I GUESS. AND IF THEY STILL WONT BUDGE THEN I GUESS I WILL HAVE TO GET A LAWYER. THANKS FOR EVERYONES INPUT.
smile.gif

I WILL LET YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS...UNTIL THEN
whistle.gif

Before you get a lawyer, let them (Mazda) know that you will be contacting Purolator to let them know that their filter (PUROLATOR) is the cause of the failure (Per Mazda - Purolator would love to hear that). Simply let Purolator know that Mazda is claiming their filter (PUROLATOR) is the reason for the failure.

IMHO, Mazda is trying to pawn off a factory failure on someone else. Get whoever Mazda claims is to blame involed and I think you will be ok.

Mazda is hoping you are dumb and will just say "...ok...my fault...ooops...I guess I screwed up...."

Since you came here, you are not dumb and will hopefully get Mazda to cover this....

DO NOT GIVE IN

The filter is not the problem.

If it comes down to it, sue both Mazda and the filter manufacturer and then let them decide who's at fault in court. Either way you'll get your engine payed for.

Picture #23 says "rod". Is it the connecting rod for cylinder #1 ? Looks like it's missing a bolt. The other pictures of metal look like pieces of cylinder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back