Emergency Generator Fuel Tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay

We have two Caterpillar 3512B emergency power generators at work and two 5,000 gallon fuel tanks. We are trying to decide what level of fuel to keep in the tanks.

The tanks are steel with flat sides and are above ground. We have fuel polishers for the tanks. Should we keep the tanks topped off or should we keep just enough fuel on hand till a truck can refuel them?

If we keep the tanks topped, that would minimize water condensation in the tanks but we'd always have old fuel to burn. (It would take us two years to burn through 10,000 gallons of fuel normally.) Also, if we had a fuel leak it would be better to lose 1000 gallons than 10,000.

Thanks for your comments.

I would be concerned more with bacterial problems so a good diesel fuel additive with bacteriostatic, lubrication, and anti-rust additives should take care of many problems. The fuel-water separator should take care of any condensate before the fuel arrives at the injectors or fuel pumps.

The tank manufacturer or generator system manufacturer should be able to determine tank life. If in doubt, and if its possible, have the tank inspected when levels are low and before refueling. If the tanks show any signs of leakage from the outside, then I would call the Hazmat team and assume probable rust-through. One then might have to call a tanker(s) and have the remaining fuel pumped out. Hopefully, inspection would spot any problems before you get to this point.

Empty one tank at a time, contact the manufacturer for the spec, and pressure test each empty tank for leakage.

Keep the tanks full of fuel with a suitable additive to keep the fuel stabilized and the other criteria 'kule suggested. If you choose, after a year get the fuel tested then sell it and replace it with fresh fuel plus the additives.
Schaeffer's #131 Neutra Fuel Stabilizer http://www.schaefferoil.com/data/131.html
#137 (California) Diesel Treat
http://www.schaefferoil.com/data/137l-10-C.htm
#285 Fuel Shock biocide
http://www.schaefferoil.com/data/285.htm

What's worse than your emergency generators running out of fuel?

Ken

I agree with both above posts. Most of the hospital emergency generators we sell to use the diesel treat additive to keep any problems with fuel storage down to a min. Only use the shock if you have indication of baterial growth showing up in your fuel filters.

Keeping the tanks full is an option but like you pointed out, will take a long while to ever consider running through it all, so why not consider doing half on each tank, use a good additive such as suggested, then when one gets low, you switch over to the other and have fresh fuel brought back in while on the other side.

The DT2000 fuel additive comes in gal jugs that treat 2000 gals at a time, makes it easy to maintain 2k of fuel on each tank.

Thanks for your comments guys. I'll make sure my supervisor sees them. I spoke with the tank manufacturer yesterday and he said we should keep the tanks topped but not for the tank's sake--for the sake of not running out of fuel in an emergency. I think I'll keep 5-days supply in them. That should be a good compromise, I hope.

[ April 10, 2003, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: Jay ]

I suppose your tanks are made of 3/16 to 5/16 thick steel anyway.

It takes a LLOONNGGG time to rust through those puppies!

[ April 14, 2003, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back