embarrassed to live in NY state

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: sciphi
Not surprised.

Upstate NY is a nice place to live on the whole. There aren't many other places I'd honestly want to live after visiting/living in other states.

I live in the foothills of the Berkshires. So the country is nice, I do not mind the weather, its a mix through the year. But as I look to retirement, I will probably move to a state along the east coast that is more retirement friendly. I can afford to live here now because of a decent salary but when I retire I will want my retirement dollars to go farther. My property tax is $16K, plus sales and income tax.

Hillsdale area??

North 20 minutes. Canaan. People often ask me how to spell it. I say just like in the Bible.

It looks like the Republicans are not going to boot Dean Skelos out of his leadership position. Its hard to know who would fill the vacancy. The Republicans’ No. 2 is Senator Thomas W. Libous, of Binghamton, who is facing a federal indictment, accused of lying to federal agents during a corruption investigation.

Yet another top NY legislator has been arrested for corruption. I realize he is innocent until proven guilty, but the story in the NY Times paints a guilty picture. Another top NY legislator was arrested a few months and previously (Joe Bruno) was acquitted after a second trial mainly because he was too old (86).

Another legislator was arrested a week or two (he was not a legislative leader) for padding his expense account (when at the capital) to the tune of $40K. If you were sloppy in your record keeping and got a few days wrong here or there it would not be a big deal. But $40K is about 400 days wrong.

I live in NY and read mainly the NY Times but it sure seems like NY is the corrupt capital of the country.

Nobody does corruption like Chicago...but maybe NY is trying to follow suit...

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Yes the do. Try living in Nassau county and deal with the taxes, utility prices, traffic, pollution, etc..............If it weren't for family and my business I'd be looooooooooonnnnnnnnnng gone.......

Yeah... I was on Long Island once with my Dad, to attend a cousins wedding... We were driving around, near Jones Beach and saw this billboard that said something like "Get out of New york Before it's too late". Had a good chuckle at that one. Seriously, I don't understand why anybody stays.

I live in NY and read mainly the NY Times but it sure seems like NY is the corrupt capital of the country

That title is a toss up with MA.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
I absolutely despise this area...the only reason I haven't left for Texas is that my family is here.

Catch a plane to Massachusetts from Texas.

Having lived in either the Southern Tier or Western NY most of my life and having visited relatives in other places, I'd rather live here than many other places. Food is cheap, schools are decent, housing's affordable and decent for the price (except rent that's skyrocketing out of sight), and there are a lot of folks taking advantage of our lengthening growing season to make some excellent wines, ciders, and craft beers. I'd rather live here than a lot of other places, even with all the downsides.

Personally, I prefer my corruption localized and not centrally planned inside the beltway.

Corruption in government is a given.

However, there is no need to centralize it and create a group of the nations best experts in DC.

Send it back to the states where we can watch over it and convict those who are the worst offenders.

I'm hoping someday my IL plates will say, "This license plate made by convicted former governor _________."

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
I absolutely despise this area...the only reason I haven't left for Texas is that my family is here.

Catch a plane to Massachusetts from Texas.

I would consider a vasectomy without anesthetic preferable to a commercial flight.

If the punishment actually hurt, it would at least deter the wimpy.

They use anesthetic for vasectomy's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back