embarrassed to live in NY state

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've spent more time than I care to think about in Chicago.... and the entire state of New York made Chicago seem like an inexpensive place to be.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I would never live in NY, maybe visit for a few days.

Amen to that. I have zero desire to go to any city. I don't even want neighbors within at least a mile, preferably 2 or 3. I don't like people but I love land.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
It is too bad people are so down on the places they live.

I don't think anyone is this thread is so much down on the place in which they live as they're down on high taxes accompanied with mediocre services and poor performance by elected and appointed public officials.
It's not always graft either. Sometimes it's just indifference.
We get the government that we deserve and until more of us start attending the local meetings and really parsing what candidates say, then we'll continue to see poor performance and insider deals portrayed as cutting edge inovation and efficiency.
We have citizen soldiers now. Those were the reservists who found themselves suddenly called up for a trip to Iraq.
Why shouldn't we have citizen politicians?

Originally Posted By: CT8
Good thing you don't live in California ! California is called the land of earthquakes and idiots where the voters are so stupid they vote in tax increases to a corrupt government and its employee unions.
Agreed! I was born and raised here. It's been going down hill my whole life. I had to move out away from the city before my head exploded.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
We have citizen soldiers now. Those were the reservists who found themselves suddenly called up for a trip to Iraq.
Why shouldn't we have citizen politicians?

I'd be all for citizen politicians. But the intelligence level of the general population may make things worse. How about if these citizen politicians were drawn from universities and think tanks?

I hate all states equally but will probably be forced to choose another one when I retire in 10-12 years. I'll pick one that has the whiniest people talking about Californians taking their 1.2M home sale proceeds and bidding up the 250K "dream houses" somewhere and 'Californicating' everything. Techies and uberwealthy foreign nationals have done that to me where I live...eventually, it'll be time to spread it around.

Originally Posted By: Throt

Amen to that. I have zero desire to go to any city. I don't even want neighbors within at least a mile, preferably 2 or 3. I don't like people but I love land.
smile.gif

NY is also a state lol (that is actually bigger than ohio) j/k

NYC is no more 'all of NY' than LA is 'all of CA'

Where are your neighbors here

Adirondacks_in_May_2008.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sciphi
Not surprised.

Upstate NY is a nice place to live on the whole. There aren't many other places I'd honestly want to live after visiting/living in other states.

I live in the foothills of the Berkshires. So the country is nice, I do not mind the weather, its a mix through the year. But as I look to retirement, I will probably move to a state along the east coast that is more retirement friendly. I can afford to live here now because of a decent salary but when I retire I will want my retirement dollars to go farther. My property tax is $16K, plus sales and income tax.

smile.gif

Thank you! Everyone assumes when someone from NY says they're from NY they think NYC. 95% of us are NOT from that cesspool.

Actually, NYC's population of 8.5 million(City proper) compared to the states population of just under 20 million means just over 40% of people from NY are from NYC.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
NY sucks. OOPS did I say that?

I should clear things up, when I say NY sucks I mean down state, the city, and western Long Island. I love the Adirondacks, its a shame it has to be a part of NY.

Im pretty sure every state has its "gems".

The more people, the more of them youll get, because there are more folks to steal, cheat, lie to, represent ... um, more folks.

Originally Posted By: slowdime
Actually, NYC's population of 8.5 million(City proper) compared to the states population of just under 20 million means just over 40% of people from NY are from NYC.

As China shifts much of its population from farms to cities, they need to build a city the size of NY every year. Boggles my mind.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: slowdime

As China shifts much of its population from farms to cities, they need to build a city the size of NY every year. Boggles my mind.

And would you believe there are entire cities in China that are built to look exactly like historic European cities? There's a copy of Venice, one of Paris too. Right down to the exact dimensions and materials used. If that isn't a 'Chinese Copy' I don't know what is!

Originally Posted By: SEMI_287

smile.gif

Thank you! Everyone assumes when someone from NY says they're from NY they think NYC. 95% of us are NOT from that cesspool.

Pretty much this. In fact, most of upstate NY absolutely HATES the city for obvious reasons. When most people think of NY they think of a dirty city but the state is absolutely beautiful. Unfortunately it is economically depressed as is Appalachia.

The southern Tier of NY state along the Delaware River is something that never leaves you or stopping in Roscoe, NY off of Route 17 during fly fishing season. I love the Catskills mountains in fall or after a snowfall and the corn fields at the foot of the Catskill mountains in the peak of summer.

With all of that said I will be leaving my home by the end of this year far from NY state seeking a better life elsewhere.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: sciphi
Not surprised.

Upstate NY is a nice place to live on the whole. There aren't many other places I'd honestly want to live after visiting/living in other states.

I live in the foothills of the Berkshires. So the country is nice, I do not mind the weather, its a mix through the year. But as I look to retirement, I will probably move to a state along the east coast that is more retirement friendly. I can afford to live here now because of a decent salary but when I retire I will want my retirement dollars to go farther. My property tax is $16K, plus sales and income tax.

Hillsdale area??

NY, NJ...New York City, Chicago....The way those places are going, in 10 years they will all be microcosms of the USSR. People there like to give away their money and freedom to the almighty Government , so I don't have much sympathy.

Unfortunately the Nation as a whole marches in the same direction, although not at full retard speed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back