Elio motors....scam ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: grampi
Nay sayers...it's a good thing not everyone is as negative as you people are or we'd never get anything new...

So, how much did you invest in Elio?

Was it as much as you had invested with Liz Carmichael's car company?

$100

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
There is a big difference between building some custom car years ago and building a car that meets modern safety and emission requirements.

It does neither. It's a motorcycle. And, let's face it, emissions compliant engines are a dime a dozen. 100% of all engines sold here are emissions compliant.

Mankind has been producing 3 wheeled cars since before WW-II. They have never been a success. Mostly because they are horrible, impractical vehicles.

152735.jpg

Messerschmitt-Mony.jpg

3-wheeled-xr3-motors-personal-transit-vehicle.jpeg

Last edited:
Quite simply, this is not the future I want:

1408096841375_wps_8_The_Elio_a_three_wheeled_.jpg

ElioMotors_detail-5.jpg

Don't know about you, but this looks a whole lot better:

ferrari-laferrari-fxx-k_100491948_h.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet
There is a big difference between building some custom car years ago and building a car that meets modern safety and emission requirements.

It does neither. It's a motorcycle. And, let's face it, emissions compliant engines are a dime a dozen. 100% of all engines sold here are emissions compliant.

Mankind has been producing 3 wheeled cars since before WW-II. They have never been a success. Mostly because they are horrible, impractical vehicles.

152735.jpg

Messerschmitt-Mony.jpg

You forgot the latest one.

2014%2F07%2FPolaris-Slingshot-00.jpg

152735.jpg

Messerschmitt-Mony.jpg

Actually it's not a motorcycle or a car...it's an autocycle....1 door, 2 seats, 3 wheels...

ElioMotors_detail-5.jpg

If you don't like it, then don't buy one...and if you can afford the Ferrari, you're in a different tax bracket than most of us are...

There is no way regulators will allow this to qualify as a motorcycle. There was already discussions to change the safety rules to require cars like Elio to be classified as a car.

Name one NEW car company that hasn't been short of the money they need to start production.

Are you referring to the ones that have an established means of generating capital ad profit, or the ones that never had it at all?

ElioMotors_detail-5.jpg

All other issues aside, I don't believe those can be sold for $6800.00.

The larger issue is the Presto-Change-o game that Elio is playing:

"It's not a low-displacement motorcycle with typical fuel-sipping performance. Look at it as if it's a super-economical car. Give me an automotive loan to produce an energy-saving car."

"It's a motorcycle, so it doesn't need to meet certain regulations."

"It's not really a motorcycle, so why require a helmet and endorsement?"

This kind of stuff does nothing but infuriate regulators.

There is no way regulators will allow this to qualify as a motorcycle. There was already discussions to change the safety rules to require cars like Elio to be classified as a car.

Legally, this is a motorcycle:
landscape_1423493089-polaris-slingshot.jpg

Polaris did 3 things right:

1. They didn't try to enclose everything.

2. They didn't try to market it as a car.

3. They didn't try to hoodwink the government into giving them a loan for an energy saving "car" that they want regulated as a motorcycle.

My opinion? If sales take off, government regulation would clamp down. Pure and simple. Once enough people start dying in crashes someone will notice, and that'll be the end of that.

Small SUV's (and trucks) used to be required to meet a different set of standards; once sales took off, that loophole got fixed.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

Name one NEW car company that hasn't been short of the money they need to start production.

Are you referring to the ones that have an established means of generating capital ad profit, or the ones that never had it at all?

I'm referring to any new car company...no new company has the means for generating capital when they're just starting up...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back