Elio motors....scam ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elio looks like they ripped-off Arcimoto's electric vehicle design and replaced the electric motor with an ICE. Arcimoto has been in the works even longer than Elio.

Scam? Not in the sense that it is somehow legal to do what they are doing. It's just another company that wants to build a product that they can't afford to build.

Elio is about $230 million short of what it needs to begin production. He's hoping a government loan will allow him to go forward. If he doesn't get it, he's screwed.

They have not succeeded in convincing all municipalities that an operator of this "covered motorcycle" does not need a helmet or motorcycle endorsement.

It the new world of legalized fraud, it's OK to accept deposit on something you have no means to provide, and no reasonable timetable for delivery.

My personal opinion is that there isn't any chance this gets built for $6,800 and turns a profit.

What a bunch of Negative Nellys you people are. The Elio would be in production right now if the gov would quit dragging their feet and approve the loan. They've been hem-hawing around with this loan for at least a couple of years now. They need to make a decision, even if that decision is to disapprove the loan. Leaving so many people hanging for this long just isn't right. If you want to criticize someone because of all of the delays in production, don't criticize Elio, criticize the gov...and this is hardly a scam....

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Scam? Not in the sense that it is somehow legal to do what they are doing. It's just another company that wants to build a product that they can't afford to build.

Elio is about $230 million short of what it needs to begin production. He's hoping a government loan will allow him to go forward. If he doesn't get it, he's screwed.

They have not succeeded in convincing all municipalities that an operator of this "covered motorcycle" does not need a helmet or motorcycle endorsement.

It the new world of legalized fraud, it's OK to accept deposit on something you have no means to provide, and no reasonable timetable for delivery.

My personal opinion is that there isn't any chance this gets built for $6,800 and turns a profit.

Name one NEW car company that hasn't been short of the money they need to start production.

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
It probably started out with good intentions. But with the price of fuel so low... that's not a good thing. I think the decision to design and build his own motor was not good. We'll see, I'm keeping a half an eye on it.

I don't understand why people think that just because the cost of fuel is low right now, that's going to steer people away from the Elio. First off, anyone who thinks these low gas prices are here to stay permanently must also believe in unicorns. Sooner or later, they will go back up. Secondly, high MPGs isn't the only attraction to the Elio. For those of us who enjoy riding motorcycles, but live in a climate where we can only ride 6 or 7 months out of the year, the Elio is the answer. It can be driven in the snow, rain, cold, all while keeping its passengers warm and dry. It's also very unique looking, and I've heard it handles like its on rails. The fun factor with this vehicle has got to be very high...there has also been talk of Elio offering a turbo-charged version, which would be even more fun...

I don't see it happening. I don't think they can meet the price point. Each year its going to be produced next year. I don't see the government loaning money to a company that will compete with the Union car manufacturers that the government is in bed with.

I like the concept , i would be interested in it as a commuter car, but i don't think it will see production.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
For $7000 I would rather buy a used Honda or Toyota...

Right, because it'll be just as fun.
smirk.gif

Nay sayers...it's a good thing not everyone is as negative as you people are or we'd never get anything new...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

smirk.gif

What's sooo fun about a soda can on 3 wheels ???
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

smirk.gif

What's sooo fun about a soda can on 3 wheels ???
smile.gif

If you couldn't have fun driving an Elio, then I'm guessing your the kind of guy who ends up guarding the purses at parties...

If you look at a few "how to" magazines from 70s, such as Popular Mechanics and the like, there are quite a few ads that are promoting people to invest in new engines or new car companies. The majority of these companies have failed or have never produced a product and the investment money is long gone.
I wish the best for Elio Motors, especially since they promote themselves being American made, but I wonder if they will meet their 2016 deadline.
Most people avoid new model year cars so that all the bugs can be sorted out, but yet there are people chomping at the bit to invest in something that has yet to be produced. Interesting.
I will give them credit for having a flashy web site that has all the answers though.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Nay sayers...it's a good thing not everyone is as negative as you people are or we'd never get anything new...

So, how much did you invest in Elio?

Was it as much as you had invested with Liz Carmichael's car company?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back