Earthquake 196cc rear tiller. Carb kit supplier?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a couple of days, I'm going to bring home an Earthquake 196cc rear tine tiller. It's got both a rope and electric start and is similar to the one shown in the link below. It's dusty from sitting in a shed. I do know that it hasn't run in several years and a few minutes of tinkering has the thing running only when dribbling a little bit of gas down the spark plug hole. At least I know that it will run.
So...the factory is always there, but who makes this (Chinese, I presume) engine, and where would I get a carb kit or complete carb for it?

http://www.getearthquake.com/foundations/store/shopdetail.asp?params=6065VEC

I would start with partstree.com.

Don't assume there is a carb kit made for it. I cannot get one for my generator with a B&S Vanguard engine. There maybe entire carbs available. I took the cleaned up carb off my generator to a local large tractor & OPE store and he found a bowl gasket that fit which is what I mainly needed.

Take it apart and clean it, but do it gently assuming you may not be able to get a rebuild kit.

I assume you mean the only way to get it started is by pouring gas down the spark plug hole? If that's the case just get some Techron or Seafoam etc. and put some in the gas tank. If it's able to run.... the Techron or whatever you choose may clean out the carb well enough that you wont have to rebuild the carb.

You can start by taking off the fuel bowl and seeing what is in it. How much crud. The most likely thing is the jet is clogged or restricted. Squirt some carb cleaner down the jet and then with a drill bit close in size (in your fingers, not a drill) run the drill bit down into the jet, it should come out into the main throttle housing. You are only looking to scrape off crud, so do it carefully.

Again, drill bit in your fingers, no drill.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
You can start by taking off the fuel bowl and seeing what is in it. How much crud. The most likely thing is the jet is clogged or restricted. Squirt some carb cleaner down the jet and then with a drill bit close in size (in your fingers, not a drill) run the drill bit down into the jet, it should come out into the main throttle housing. You are only looking to scrape off crud, so do it carefully.

Again, drill bit in your fingers, no drill.

I agree, It's very unlikely you need a new carb. Yor existing carb just needs cleaning.

Years ago I bought a can of Gunk BOP Carburetor cleaner. Dismantle everything you can, and then soak the parts in a bowl of the cleaner overnight. (You can save the cleaner to be used again by pouring it back into the can)
Wash the parts in water, then give a final clean through the jets with WD40.
If you were careful with the gaskets, you can reuse them or cut new ones.

Thanks for the advice so far. I have not taken anything apart yet, just made sure that it ran. I'll be able to know more when I get it home and do more troubleshooting.

It seems to be a 6.5 hp 196 cc chinese engine. Is it a long shot to assume you can interchange parts with all the honda, harbor freight etc engines?
If so, parts would not be a problem, look at ebay, all the ope stores etc.

Good news. That 196CC engine is an EXACT copy of the 196CC Honda GX200, and parts are ABUNDANT and CHEAP. In fact, you can get a brand new carburetor for $15 and less on eBay right now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CARBURETOR-F...=item1c331a75c7

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Carburetor-w...=item3cdc3d86a7

Just search for GX200 parts whenever you need anything.

Also look at GXParts.com

The 196CC clone engines are a definate buy whenever you can find them. They are very durable and parts are super cheap to keep them running.

Also, these engines are notorious for shutting themselves off due to the low oil shutoff engine used on tillers and go carts. Just keep the oil topped up and unplug the low oil sensor wire if that becomes a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back